Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-23-2013, 07:24 AM   #43
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Wow! After reading some of these posts I think I should sell the HR, go sit under the bridge and take the poison pill.

Yikes!!! I am doomed.

wjell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2013, 07:34 AM   #44
Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post
I did not know diesel pushers had a dog house in the front?

rebelcarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:05 AM   #45
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Purchased a 98 Pursuit, with 18,000 miles on it for @ $12,000.

We spent $300 for overdue chassis and generator maintenance, diagnostic and repairs of chassis electrical problems, and have taken three 200+ mile trips with it. We have had a few problems, but nothing that has left us stranded on the side of the road.

I like to think of myself as "handy" and I have become very well acquainted with the systems on board, and have figured out the little quirks that the PO didnt mention.

There are still a few things that need to be addressed, but in the grand scheme of things, I have not come across a 'show stopper' yet.

An RV does have a "money pit" factor to it, but if you can keep your spending in check, make small repairs and maintenance yourself, theres no reason why you couldn't find something that will satisfy your criteria.

Biggest adjustment for you, is to remember that the adventure starts when you leave home..... not when you arrive at your destination. Don't be in a hurry, be methodical in your pre-departure checklist, and don't forget to enjoy the view from the drivers seat.
The Macklin's - 1998 Georgie Boy 'Pursuit'
Pete: Pilot/Mechanic - Jen: Navigator/Travel Planner
Taylor & Patrick - Along for the ride....
jnp_macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:05 AM   #46
Originally Posted by wjell View Post
Wow! After reading some of these posts I think I should sell the HR, go sit under the bridge and take the poison pill.

Yikes!!! I am doomed.
Geez I agree !!! I'll never pull our 95 out of the garage again,,, it might not make it back in... Much less another 2400++ mile trip with the family... through 50+ mph winds, dust storms, ice storm, etc..
On the other hand, I think the OP is getting some good info as usual from this site. Filter through it, and pick what is relevant to you, like anything. Take your time, look things over, and go have fun !!!! That's what RV'ing is all about,,, to us anyway.
Monkey, pilot of a Great Dane hauler,
2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax/Alison 4x4 CrewCab 2016 Cougar 28SGS
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #47
It is very possible to buy a well cared for 30 ft Class A gasser for around 15K, maybe a little more if you are careful and patient. Even more expensive motor homes require repairs and upkeep. People will buy a MH with all intentions of using it and in a couple of years, due to whatever, decide the RV lifestyle is not for them and decide to sell it. Usually they have replaced all the tires, changed all fluids, batteries and fixed everything staying prepared for that long trip they hope to take and never do. How do I know this? It has happened to me. Now I have a very low milage 1999 MH that I have had for two years that I bought because I thought I would could take time from work to travel but due to the economy I cannot afford to leave the office for any extended period of time so I am trying to decide if I want to keep it for a while longer or sell it.
MajesticRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
I can only speak for our first MH and it was a class C. Paid under $7000. After everything had been checked out and fluids and serpentine belt changed ($300) we started with a couple weekend trips. Next trip was south to Dothan Al.. Great trip and never any problems the year we owned it, and we used it every weekend. We realized how much we enjoy RVing, sold the C and bought an A with a slide. $$$$ Check Craigslist.
Neal and Deb + Mya and Gizmo, the pup's
2003 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #49
Originally Posted by maneddi View Post
All good info...thanks. what I'm looking at is something year 2000 or newer, less than 40k miles, 1 slide out for living room and 2 a/C's. I have seen a few over the last few months but have not pulled the trigger because the time isn't right for us yet.
I think you're being overly optomistic as to what 15K will buy. We recently traded off our 2001 Adventurer 32V with over 100,000 miles on the odometer. The low retail on that particular coach was still in the high 20K range.
2013 Adventurer 32H
Hikerdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #50
The Safari Trek pictured is a 95 not a 96. It is not a diesel pusher, it has a front engine. I know because I have a 96 trek, mine has a 454 Chevy engine, the diesel model is also a GM engine. I bought mine 3 years ago in N.J. For $14,000 and drove it home to Austin Tx. With no problems. Have bought new tires, plugs, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor. Also replaced the roof A/C, old one worked but was going on a long trip in the summer and wanted no problem from the original A/C. New shocks and steering stabilizer. Now have a great unit that I expect to outlast me, I worked for a RV Mobil repair service for 10 years after retiring from my real job. I knew exactly what I wanted in a class A and found it and am very happy with it.
texkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:15 AM   #51
I had a REALLY really bad experience trying to buy a sub $15,000 rig. Probably due to my inexperience more than anythying else.

I say buy only from a dealer - never from a private party.
US Army Capt. // 2009 Gulf Stream
Pro Patria // Strike Hold //
Lo Que Sea, Donde Sea, Cuando Sea
Tomaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:27 AM   #52

Gulf Streamers Club
Never bought from an RV from a dealer, only private parties. Current MH bought two years ago for 11K. Paid a fair price at the time I thought. Diesels are rare in that size and time. Some things broke after I bought, but nothing that I would think the private party knew about. YMMV,

1993 Gulfstream Sun Voyager DP 30'
200 HP Cummins B5.9, 4sp Allison AT542
Toad 1998 Honda CRV, 2006 Honda CRV
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:50 AM   #53
There are many older users selling rv for many reasons, shop, shop, shop, We got 96 Brave $ 12,000, new tire,front end, work tune up etc, just like new, 27,000 miles, shopped 2 yrs but found it less then 10 miles from home.
ltfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #54
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
15k why not 5k

well if you do your home work and know were to find great deals like i did you can buy at mh for 5k. i did and the only thing i have had to do is a tune up oil change and new tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$T2eC16ZHJG8FGrzfhn9jBR0bBqe)8w~~60_3.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	42983  
1997 National dolphin 36ft tag axle
generac Q-55G GENERATOR
buynow43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #55
What do you all Think of this

Another 5k Deal

1988 Pace Arrow 28.5
Class A Chevy Gasser
it is the separate bath unit with rear twins ( this I will remove one and change other to double?queen and the one I remove I am making a wall to wall closet with shelf (window area)
Now for my reasons 49k miles
but it has 1yr old tires
it has gear vendors installed with electronics
it has the complete Banks power system air in and air out,
It is carbed, but I have reasons for wanting carbed. (will expand on this later)
new water pump and real nice stereo.
also has air bags rear and new airsprings up front.
the not so good. recent storm cracked D windshield.
and I will want to replace carpet with wood floor and throw rug.
needs new engine battery
I am very handy and can do all repairs and remoding my self(well my friends help)

any input. I am driving tonight or in the morning to purchase, so please try and change my mind quickly.
Vividus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:25 PM   #56

1996 Newmar Kountry Star - 77,000 miles, 1 slide
5 new tires, working generator, no leaks, washer & dryer
Banks exhaust, manifolds and cold air
Dash AC works great, new radiator & batteries
Satellite, working appliances

OK, so I added a few things that I wanted to do to make it nicer for me and DW but none of it was 'essential'

Just drove - Havasu - Indio, North Fork, ID, Yellowstone, Memphis - then heading Nashville, Lula, MS, New Orleans and then back to Havasu via Denver. Averaging a touch over 7mpg and 3400 miles so far - around 6000 for the trip.

Get the picture?

Do your homework, don't rush into the first RV you see at your price point and look for examples of a conscientious owner and you can get a nice RV for $15k.

steveclv is offline   Reply With Quote