Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2011, 02:14 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm 11,300 on the front 12,000 axle. I run about 18,800 on the 20,000 rear. I normally only carry about 25 gallons (in a 90 gallon tank) so if I filled that up it would add another 550 overall. We carry about all the closet and cabinets will hold, but nothing particuarly heavy. The bays a fairly full, but again nothing particularly heavy. We carry pretty much what I think of as the standard stuff: a couple of lawn chairs, small folding table, Baby Q gas grill w/stand, patio rug, small tool box (most of it unused - one of those 77 piece things from Sears), lightweight aluminum ladder, cleaning stuff, water hoses, sewer hoses (I have an extra 61' for my sani-con sealed end to end in a covered plastic container), gas campfire in a can, my porta cable air compressor, and some miscellanious belts, hoses and other stuff (most of which is in a couple more of those covered plastic containers. I'm heaviest on my right rear. That's where all 6 batteries are and the washer/dryer is on that side in the rear also. There's not really anything of any appreciable weight that I can move to the other side (I'm not going there about making the wife sit on the other side) to make any significant difference. I don't even think moving my 10# tool box will do it. The coach drives and rides good so I don't worry about it. I do keep the rear tires at their 120# max pressure to compensate for having more weight on the right rear as compared to the left rear. Otherwise, just based on axle weight, I could 115# with no problem.

historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2011, 09:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Our 40 DP when loaded for full time travel weighs 19200 lbs on the rear axle. Front is 10300 so I have some head room with a 12000 lb GAWR. I've known for quite some time that a lot of big gassers rolled out of the factory over weight but have to admit I'm surprised to hear this is a problem with Country Coach.

Good luck...

Rick
Just to clear up some misunderstanding I was talking about the rating plate that is attached to the rear axle. This plate gives a GAWR of 20,000 lbs. and is more than likely found on every single rear axle DP. The manufacturer of my coach indicates a GAWR of 22,000 lbs. Fully loaded I am at 21,500 lbs. I would also think that a manufacturer would error on the low side for obvious reasons. My GCWR is 46,000 lbs and fully loaded including dingy I am at 37,450 lbs. As Caluch said, I wonder how the manufacturers can justify a 2000 lb difference based on the federal limit of 20,000 lbs. on some roads and bridges?

As Brian stated in another reply, I should have used the word rating and not limit in the subject line.

Thanks for the reply

Dick

Old 10-02-2011, 10:17 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd2 View Post
Dave..

The weight differences you indicate in your reply are more in line with what I think my CC should be based on percentages. I was talking to a friend of mine that used to work at LazyDays in Florida and he thinks that maybe my air suspension may need a tune up. Maybe the rear of the coach in travel mode may be lower than it should be placing more weight at the rear of the coach. Does your coach use air suspension?

Dick
Dick, our coach is air suspension. Your friend is referring to a the ride height adjustment which if you feel is out of calibration would be a worthwhile thing to check.

I do not know how this adjustment would affect the actual weight on the drive axle but if you are out of adjustment it is an easy thing to re-weigh the coach to see the effect if any.

Dave
Old 10-02-2011, 10:55 AM   #18

Dick,

Unless you raised the rear by 6 or 7 feet, the change in distribution of weight between front and rear from changing the ride height would be negligible, so you can forget that. On a tag it makes a difference if you increase the pressure on the tag air bags as it is using the drive axle as a fulcrum to move pressure to the front, but on a two axle rig it makes almost no difference.

In the mean time, make sure you have good quality tires, in good condition, and inflated to carry the weight, and I suggest that you put dynamic balancers on them to reduce the stresses on the rear (dual wheel axles can't be balanced conventionally), and then relax.

Try not to drive long distances with full water or sewage tanks, and be grateful that they don't weigh us.

When you have the $$$, or you see a great opportunity, trade up to a tag, they ride better and are more stable than a two axle rig, and they have lots more carrying capacity, although you give up some storage space underneath.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:01 AM   #19

I have a 40' single rear axle Beaver. The factory specifications are GVWR 36,220 lbs., GCWR 41,220 lbs., front axle 13, 220 lbs. and rear axle 23,000 lbs. Actual weights with fresh water and fuel tanks full and ready to travel are front axle 12,920 lbs., rear axle 21,360 lbs.

Jim E
Old 10-02-2011, 11:33 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post
Dick, our coach is air suspension. Your friend is referring to a the ride height adjustment which if you feel is out of calibration would be a worthwhile thing to check.

I do not know how this adjustment would affect the actual weight on the drive axle but if you are out of adjustment it is an easy thing to re-weigh the coach to see the effect if any.

Dave
I was also a little dubious about the effect on the rear axle but at this point I am willing to look at anything. If I have time before old man winter
makes me put the coach away I will take a trip to HWH. When I last talked to them about getting a tune up on the air suspension they mentioned that the ride height for travel mode is dictated by Country Coach and that they actually install and calibrate the sensors. Other than going to Oregon Motorcoach, dealers that can do factory type service on CC are far and few between. I did find a dealer locally who does large truck and trailer repair and have an appointment with him to install a new set of Road King Shocks.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:58 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairajays View Post
I have a 40' single rear axle Beaver. The factory specifications are GVWR 36,220 lbs., GCWR 41,220 lbs., front axle 13, 220 lbs. and rear axle 23,000 lbs. Actual weights with fresh water and fuel tanks full and ready to travel are front axle 12,920 lbs., rear axle 21,360 lbs.

Jim E
Jim..

Your rear GAWR rating is 1000 lbs higher than mine for a similar coach. This makes me wonder if the plate on your rear axle lists a GAWR of 20,000 lbs. If this is the case how did they arrive at a 23,000 lbs., or for that matter 22,000 lbs on mine. If anything, it just makes me think about how they arrive at these figures.

How do you like your Beaver? They are a real class coach. My brother has a 45' Marquis and sometimes finds that he is limited in where he can setup camp. This is one of the reasons we decided to go with a 40' and put up with some of the problems that we are talking about. If we ever decide to forgo the forestry camps, state parks and some other really tight spots that we have been in, and like to go, a tag is definitely in our future.

Thanks for the reply
Dick
Old 10-03-2011, 01:03 AM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I dont feel so bad now on my weights

32k gvwr
20k out back and 12K up front
loaded for bear....19200 on the rear (30 galls of water, empty holding tanks), if i run a heavy ball with the trailer, then I am at very close to the 20k rating.
10200 up front, full fuel and propane

I have shifted heavy items to the front of the basement, like the tool box and "JUNK"

my right rear is the heavy side....them batteries should have been up front

i appreciate the great responses.... make me wonder what else i can move forward to gain a few 100 out back.
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:17 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Has anyone had any mechanical problems from being over weight?? Bearings going bad or axle problems or rear end breaking ect. I'm over weight on the rear by about 900 - 1000 lbs.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:21 PM   #24

Just weighed mine Sunday, fully fueled, fresh water full and a duplicate of almost every object I own on board. Front is rated 12,400 and we are are 11,200. Rear rated 20k and we are at 19,000. That is with my toad hooked up, because there is hitch weight associated with it, but probalby not too much. By the way, my 06 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland weighs 5,350, which is about 500 more than I expected but still well within GCWR of 49,600.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:25 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97windsor View Post
Has anyone had any mechanical problems from being over weight?? Bearings going bad or axle problems or rear end breaking ect. I'm over weight on the rear by about 900 - 1000 lbs.
Windsor..

Are you over the 20,000lb stamped in the axle or over the manufacturers
GAWR. Over the MFG weight rating, by the amount you stated could be a problem. Make sure your bearings are packed and watch your tire pressures and speed. Next time you pull into a rest stop check to see how hot the tires are. If they are uncomfortably hot to the touch your pressures are to low for the load. Also with that kind of weight your tires should have an H rating. Just a few of my thoughts, others may differ I know for a fact that there are quite a few 40's running around out there that are over. Not saying that that makes it OK, but it's just a fact.

Dick
Old 10-04-2011, 07:33 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-HODAG View Post
Just weighed mine Sunday, fully fueled, fresh water full and a duplicate of almost every object I own on board. Front is rated 12,400 and we are are 11,200. Rear rated 20k and we are at 19,000. That is with my toad hooked up, because there is hitch weight associated with it, but probalby not too much. By the way, my 06 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland weighs 5,350, which is about 500 more than I expected but still well within GCWR of 49,600.
Hodag..

You are right where we would all like to be.

Dick

I assume you are from LA...where abouts??
I spent 30 years there SFV
Old 10-04-2011, 07:57 PM   #27

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
One of the first things to get straight is the words.

Axles have specified ratings, not limits. That's the "R" in GAWR or GVWR or GCWR and so on.

The word rating is used rather than limit for a good reason - the two words mean different things.

Please note: I do not advocate the abuse of any ratings nor suggest or mean to imply that excess weights above ratings is a 'good thing' or whatever. What I do suggest is that this topic makes a whole lot more sense and can be a lot more useful if there is proper recognition of the difference between a rating and a limit and where each appropriately applies. Conditions and circumstances should be properly considered.
The legal LIMIT on Federal highways is 20,000#'s on any rear axle unless you have a tag. Even if the manufacturer puts a 23,000 axle (no tag) on the rig that doesn't change the LEGAL limit.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:21 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I too am surprised to hear of diesel pushers being overweight or nearly so out the factory door ...I have heard of gassers having that problem, but not DPs. Our axle ratings are 12k front and 20k rear. Before we started fulltiming we weighed the rig with a partial load while on a 2 wk trip and found the front at 10.5k and the rear at 18.5k. We had it weighed a couple of years after we started fulltiming and found the front 11.5k and the rear at 20k.

Tags
weight