Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2011, 11:25 PM   #29

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
At delivery our DSDP weighed

LF 5530
RF 5610
LR 8150
RR 8510

Newmar weighs each rig as it leaves the assembly line but doesn't give out the four "corner" weights, only the axle weights. I got lucky and a support person gave them to me.

The problem was, that the front axle was a 12,000# unit and when we filled the fuel and propane tanks we were overweight even without us or anything aboard. After some "negotiations" and evaluation by Hendersons Newmar had Spartan replace the front axle with a 14,600# unit. While at the Spartan factory they inspected the whole rig and stated that the rear axle was a 20,000# unit and there was no reason for Newmar to have de-rated it to 19,000#'s.
Now that I've replaced the front tires with 305/70 22.5's I can use the full 14,600# rating in the front and am comfortable with 20,000 in the rear even though I'm just over 19,000 now.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2011, 09:22 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd2 View Post
Windsor..

Are you over the 20,000lb stamped in the axle or over the manufacturers
GAWR. Over the MFG weight rating, by the amount you stated could be a problem. Make sure your bearings are packed and watch your tire pressures and speed. Next time you pull into a rest stop check to see how hot the tires are. If they are uncomfortably hot to the touch your pressures are to low for the load. Also with that kind of weight your tires should have an H rating. Just a few of my thoughts, others may differ I know for a fact that there are quite a few 40's running around out there that are over. Not saying that that makes it OK, but it's just a fact.

Dick
Big D, No not over the 20k. I'm at 19600 on the rear and the plate next to the driver seat says 18500 max gvw rear. I can't find a plate or anything on the rear end itself.

I do have H rated tires that can carry 20280 dual at 120psi. The tire mfg chart calls for 115 psi at 19660 and I run them at 120psi (that is max pressure).

The front weights in at 8300 and the same plate says 9500 max gvw front. The tire chart calls for 80psi to carry 8380 and 85psi to carry 8740 and I run the fronts at 85psi

I have a TPMS that shows pressure and temp. I don't see any high temps on the rears at all. I do watch that close.

I have more concern about going over the 'plate max gvw' and doing damage to the rear end. The tires are within spec, although the rears are at the top of their load capacity.

One other question. I added air to the tires last weekend, and the outside temp was in the 50's. Yesterday the temps were in the 70's and the pressure showed approx 5lbs more than they were set at Sunday. The rears were showing 124 to 126 yesterday.

We are heading to warmer area 70's - 80's climate for the next 10 days or so. (Gatlinburg Tn) Then we will be back to Ohio and the 50's 60's for another month. Should I lower the pressure before we go and increase when we get back?

Thanks Jim

Old 10-05-2011, 12:28 PM   #31

Quote:
Jim..

Your rear GAWR rating is 1000 lbs higher than mine for a similar coach. This makes me wonder if the plate on your rear axle lists a GAWR of 20,000 lbs. If this is the case how did they arrive at a 23,000 lbs., or for that matter 22,000 lbs on mine. If anything, it just makes me think about how they arrive at these figures.

How do you like your Beaver? They are a real class coach. My brother has a 45' Marquis and sometimes finds that he is limited in where he can setup camp. This is one of the reasons we decided to go with a 40' and put up with some of the problems that we are talking about. If we ever decide to forgo the forestry camps, state parks and some other really tight spots that we have been in, and like to go, a tag is definitely in our future.

Thanks for the reply
Dick
On another forum, I brought up the topic of axle ratings. Seems a lot of Monaco products have a rear axle rating of 23,000 lbs. I have a Specification Guide that lists the all the axle ratings. Some have stated that even though the Federal limit is 20,000 lbs, they have never had a problem. A couple of states, in the East, weigh your coach when you go through the gates on toll highways. That may or not be a problem.

BTW, I like my Beaver as I do The Country Coach Concept and Foretravel U320. IMO, these were the best production line MHs ever built. A MH of this quality is not in production today except the Foretravel, which has a MSRP of around $1 million. A little out of my price range.

Jim E
Old 10-05-2011, 09:48 PM   #32

Jim..

First of all I think I would be correct in saying that not all single rear axle DP MH's have a 20,000 lb rear axle. Mine just happens to have a plate on the rear axle that states a 20K load rating. I have always gone by the rear axle rating stated by the Mfg which in my case is 22K on the rear. And, yes I know about the federal limit on some highways and most bridges.

I would be concerned about being over the Mfg. rating. But I think you have to ask yourself how long have you been traveling that way and what have the results been?

As for the tires I always check the pressures when the tires are cold and inflate to the Mfg. recommendations. All tires will have a pressure increase from heat

My wife and I are also empty nester's and we just downsized to a much smaller nest. The next step is full timing. We had six collies but gave them to some friends. Now we are ready for a smaller dog to take with us.

Dick
Old 10-05-2011, 09:56 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
At delivery our DSDP weighed

LF 5530
RF 5610
LR 8150
RR 8510

Newmar weighs each rig as it leaves the assembly line but doesn't give out the four "corner" weights, only the axle weights. I got lucky and a support person gave them to me.

The problem was, that the front axle was a 12,000# unit and when we filled the fuel and propane tanks we were overweight even without us or anything aboard. After some "negotiations" and evaluation by Hendersons Newmar had Spartan replace the front axle with a 14,600# unit. While at the Spartan factory they inspected the whole rig and stated that the rear axle was a 20,000# unit and there was no reason for Newmar to have de-rated it to 19,000#'s.
Now that I've replaced the front tires with 305/70 22.5's I can use the full 14,600# rating in the front and am comfortable with 20,000 in the rear even though I'm just over 19,000 now.
You should be very pleased that you caught these problems at time of delivery I like the way you put the word negotiations in quotes

Dick
Old 10-05-2011, 10:39 PM   #34

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
You should be very pleased that you caught these problems at time of delivery I like the way you put the word negotiations in quotes

Dick
It wasn't hard to spot as our weight sticker showed 663#'s of CCC at delivery and all of that was on the rear axle. I was very aware of overloading problems and didn't order the tile floor due to it. The Newmar specs showed a NCC of about 5,300#'s so I expected more CCC.

"Negotiations" pretty much started and ended when I informed Newmar that it was a Federal law violation to sell a rig that was overweight when delivered. Learned that from an '88 Okanagan Type B MH we had, it weighed 8,800#'s and the wheels weren't rated for that much and we broke two of them. The Okanagan factory (before Airstream bought them out) replaced the underrated chrome steel wheels with Alcoa ones. Took a few letters and some research though.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:56 PM   #35

BigD2, we are in W. L.A., but I'm not a native Angeleno. Lived in the valley near the Bud brewery for a while, but found it too hot for my tastes. Moved back over the hill closer to those sea breezes. Where are you now?

Bryan
Old 10-06-2011, 07:50 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-HODAG View Post
BigD2, we are in W. L.A., but I'm not a native Angeleno. Lived in the valley near the Bud brewery for a while, but found it too hot for my tastes. Moved back over the hill closer to those sea breezes. Where are you now?

Bryan
Over the hill puts you somewhere around Santa Monica. I spent 30 years in the valley between Van Nuys, Encino and Woodland hills. I now live in the only state that has two governors in jail
Old 10-06-2011, 08:29 AM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Bigd2
I has a 2006 40' HR Endeavor. The actual rear axle weight was over 20,000 lbs with no cargo added. Monaco replaced the rear axle under warranty.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
Bigd2
I has a 2006 40' HR Endeavor. The actual rear axle weight was over 20,000 lbs with no cargo added. Monaco replaced the rear axle under warranty.
Flyer..

It's always good to hear that a manufacturer stands behind their
products. We all to ofter hear the opposite

Dick
Old 10-06-2011, 04:48 PM   #39

BigD2, without searching google I am going to guess Illinois. Second guess is NJ.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:00 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-HODAG View Post
BigD2, without searching google I am going to guess Illinois. Second guess is NJ.
Your first guess in right on but we will have to watch NJ
Old 10-07-2011, 01:22 AM   #41

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Flyer..

It's always good to hear that a manufacturer stands behind their
products. We all to ofter hear the opposite

Dick
When Newmar replaced our front axle they even paid for the fuel both ways. Although to be truthful that's the law in WA. If the motor vehicle has to be transported/driven over 100 miles for warranty work the factory has to pay the associated costs.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:25 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
To answer the original poster's question, YES, I am.

The federal single axle weight limit is 20,000 lbs for all highways for all vehicles. Unfortunately, there were many RV manufacturers that thought that RV's were exempt from the federal law, NOPE.

My axle ratings are 13,000 lbs front and 23,000 lbs rear. I have a CCC of 3,902 lbs without a FULL water tank which is 80 gallons or another 600 lbs.. If I were to remove 3,000 lbs or more from the coach to conform to the federal axle weight limit, that would leave me with a CCC of 902 lbs or less depending on how much water I carry. It ain't gonna happen. Plus I generally carry a full tank of water as it doesn't make ANY difference in my MPG whether it is full or empty.

Therefore, I simply do NOT make ANY plans to drive on certain highways that enforce the 20,000 lb limit, such as some of the Ohio and Pennsylvania roads.

I am a full-time Rver with a FULLY loaded coach. I haven't weighed the coach since leaving for Alaska in May 2009. I do need to reweigh it sometime soon just to double check what the changes are and to properly adjust my tire pressures.

I have been running consistently over the axle ratings somewhere between 1-3 percent. I have been traveling around the North American Continent for the past 2 years with thousands of miles behind me. Haven't had any problems yet and I don't worry about the federal axle limit. I lose sleep over other stuff but it isn't about being over the axle limit of 20,000 lbs.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Tags
weight