Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2011, 10:02 AM   #1

Are you over the weight limit?

Over the past several weeks I have been reading everything I could find about how to properly load a coach and still stay within the allotted weight limits for the front and rear axles. I went way
back in this forums archives and used Google search everywhere I could to find info on this question. One of the items I found was the fact that many coaches manufactured from about 2004 thru 2010 come from the factory very close to the rear axle weight limit. At this point I am just talking about DP 40 feet with a single rear axle. I have a 40 foot 2007 Country Coach and In my individual case I exceed the rear axle by 20lbs with just a full tank of fuel and propane. It seems that coach manufacturers wanted our home away from home to make us feel that we never left. Such things as Corian counter tops, ceramic tile floors, washer/dryers, residential style refrigerators, Aqua Hot
systems so we can have all the hot water we want and the list goes on. The one item they have not changed is the standard 20,000 lb rear axle. In my particular case when I am loaded with dingy in tow and ready to leave I am over the rear axle limit by 1500lbs. My tires are H rated and give me 28,000 lbs.

I would really like to know how many of you exceed the stated rear axle weight limit and by how much. If my guess is right there are quite a few single axel 40 footers going down the road over the limit. In my particular case I am under my GCWR of 46,200lbs by 7000 lbs

Dick

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2011, 10:10 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
The 20000 pound limit is a federal limit on some roads and most bridges. A heavier duty axle is not the solution... You must move up to a tag axle to be legal. Unfortunately very few 40 foot single axles allow any additional weight in the rear. I think only newmar makes a tag axle 40 footer.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caluch View Post
The 20000 pound limit is a federal limit on some roads and most bridges. A heavier duty axle is not the solution... You must move up to a tag axle to be legal. Unfortunately very few 40 foot single axles allow any additional weight in the rear. I think only newmar makes a tag axle 40 footer.
The next thing will be requiring all RV's to stop at the weigh stations.
Won't that be fun??

My problem is that my RV is over the rear axle limit with just full diesel and propane tanks. Then when my wife puts her clothes, shoes and makup
bag....well you know the rest of the story. One would think that from the factory you would have some additional capacity in reserve and not be over right out of the gate

Dick

Dick
Old 10-01-2011, 01:15 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Does your wife ride in back?
Old 10-01-2011, 01:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by targaboat View Post
Does your wife ride in back?
No she sits on my lap....
Old 10-01-2011, 01:52 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Our 40 DP when loaded for full time travel weighs 19200 lbs on the rear axle. Front is 10300 so I have some head room with a 12000 lb GAWR. I've known for quite some time that a lot of big gassers rolled out of the factory over weight but have to admit I'm surprised to hear this is a problem with Country Coach.

Good luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:14 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
The last time I weighed my coach the weight on the front axle was 13,900 and the rear axle was 22,250. According the specs per the manufacturer front max is 14,600 and the rear max is 23,000. There is no way I could get the rear axle weight down by 2,250 even if I removed everything in and under the coach. I may not be legal on some roads but I'm sure there are a lot more out there with 40ft rvs and no tag that have the same issue. So for now will go with what the manufacturer's specs.
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd2 View Post
No she sits on my lap....
Now I know that's got to be against the law LOL or are MH except.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:29 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Unfortunately, all too common a problem for 40' DPs, it seems. Just another reason I elected to go to a tag for our full time retirement rig. With full fuel and water we still have 8,800 lbs plus CCC.

I'm sure there are 40' single axle rigs with healthy CCC, but the savey RV shopper will have to do their homework, and maybe pay a few scale fees, to make sure you end up with one.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 03:52 PM   #10

One of the first things to get straight is the words.

Axles have specified ratings, not limits. That's the "R" in GAWR or GVWR or GCWR and so on.

The word rating is used rather than limit for a good reason - the two words mean different things.

Please note: I do not advocate the abuse of any ratings nor suggest or mean to imply that excess weights above ratings is a 'good thing' or whatever. What I do suggest is that this topic makes a whole lot more sense and can be a lot more useful if there is proper recognition of the difference between a rating and a limit and where each appropriately applies. Conditions and circumstances should be properly considered.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Unfortunately, all too common a problem for 40' DPs, it seems. Just another reason I elected to go to a tag for our full time retirement rig. With full fuel and water we still have 8,800 lbs plus CCC.

I'm sure there are 40' single axle rigs with healthy CCC, but the savey RV shopper will have to do their homework, and maybe pay a few scale fees, to make sure you end up with one.
Jay..

That dog looks big enough to use up all your excess CCC we often camp in forestry or state park campgrounds which have a "limit" of 40'. We looked at tags but chose the 40' and are very happy. I must admit that the tags are very attractive for a number or reasons. I live in the grain belt and there are a half dozen scales within 10 miles of my house and the nice thing is that they do not charge unless you need it certified.
I was just curious how many members are over and by what amount. I have been over for quite awhile and will most likely continue. As Brian said above its a "Rating" not a limit. If the manufacturers tag on the axle
stated more that the federal "limit" of 20,000 lbs there could be trouble. If the axle were tested, under ideal conditions, to it's actual "limit" it could easily be several thousand pounds over the 20K. There are so many variables connected to this which would make this reply several pages long. This is like going back to engineering 101 and I have long since retired.

Thanks for all the replies. I hope more people chime in with their actual weights

Dick
Old 10-01-2011, 06:54 PM   #12

Our 40ft. Eagle has a front axle rating of 12,000-full fuel, water and propane we come in at 10,700.

Rear rating is 19,000- weighs in at 18,080 with all of our stuff aboard and as above.

DaveS
1998 American Eagle 40EVS
Old 10-01-2011, 07:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post
Our 40ft. Eagle has a front axle rating of 12,000-full fuel, water and propane we come in at 10,700.

Rear rating is 19,000- weighs in at 18,080 with all of our stuff aboard and as above.

DaveS
1998 American Eagle 40EVS
Dave..

The weight differences you indicate in your reply are more in line with what I think my CC should be based on percentages. I was talking to a friend of mine that used to work at LazyDays in Florida and he thinks that maybe my air suspension may need a tune up. Maybe the rear of the coach in travel mode may be lower than it should be placing more weight at the rear of the coach. Does your coach use air suspension?

Dick
Old 10-01-2011, 07:52 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

My single rear axle 40 footer weighs in at 19,700 lbs (rear) in ready to travel trim. 12,700 on the front, which is rated at 14,400. The rear is tight but ok. The previous year of my coach tended to be over 20k on the rear, but American Coach moved the batteries forward of the axle in my year and got it back in line (barely).

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight