Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2011, 09:37 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by w6pea View Post
I have a couple of neighbors that have Baja, Mexico plates one has had his p/u truck registered there, he bought his a week or so after I bought my F-250 p/u.....he has never registered it in California. I have written letters to DMV and the CHP and my local police department. You guessed it they have yet to do anything about it. Also I can walk out on the street right now and count 10 to 12 vehicles with not only out of state.....but more like out of country licensee plates.

Enough said before I get in trouble again.

If We Can't Haul It....You Don't Need It ! Motor-T
Exactly my point.

macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2011, 12:10 AM   #16

49 state vehicles will not pass ca test, and ca dmv is very tough on buying a new out of state vehicle and trying to register it. I recently bought a used motorcycle from a dealer in AZ and he explained that even though motorcycles are not tested at ths time in CA to register an out of state vehicle it must have at least 7500mi. I had to register it to my dad in AZ and bring it home to SoCal and ride it around for 1200mi. and then transfer registration to me, that worked but what a hassle whatever benefit isnt worth the hassle

Old 10-30-2011, 01:59 AM   #17

The only thing worse than CA state DMV, is the CA state Franchise Tax Board. (state income tax)
They make the IRS look like your best friend.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:53 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
If I had a way to keep Kalifornia for getting any of the umpteen fees and taxes I pay I would do it. This state is completely out of control, and the only thing keeping me here is my wife being primary care for her mother with Alzheimer's.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:37 PM   #19

Here's how it's done:

Contact The CHP

Works every time.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:58 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
Here's how it's done:

Contact The CHP

Works every time.

I already tried that link on my neighbor with the new truck and Baja Plates I even sent a picture of it to Uncle Arnold,(before he left office) and to good old Jerry after he was sworn in I also contacted Sen. Juan Vargas about it,

You guessed it Nada !

it's not right or fair for the people of California aka Taxafornia to have to pay outlandish fee's to license a vehicle while the scofflaws get away with not paying their fair share.

One thing that really makes me mad is all of the cars I see dropping children off at the school where my wife works have out of country license plates on them and our California Teachers are now force to teach Bi-lingual classes.

Sorry for the Rant.

If We Can't Haul It....You don't Need It ! Motor-T
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:17 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Haygood5: Not familiar with Fleetwood Discovery coach but if it's a diesel and the Gross Vehicle Weight rating (GVWR) is more than 14,000 lbs it's smog exempt. Check this site Smog Information.
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:22 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kketterling View Post
Haygood5: Not familiar with Fleetwood Discovery coach but if it's a diesel and the Gross Vehicle Weight rating (GVWR) is more than 14,000 lbs it's smog exempt. Check this site Smog Information.
That exemption is for prior to 1998 I believe.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:42 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnkat View Post
That exemption is for prior to 1998 I believe.

Nope, it's for diesels UNDER 14,000 GVW, prior to 1998 model year. All diesel vehicles over 14,000 gvw are exempt, regardless of year.

For the original poster;
  1. You need to have 7,500 miles on the coach prior to registering it in California.
  2. You legally have no more than 20 days to register it here once you bring it in.
  3. California doesn't care if you have land, homes, whatever, in any or all other states. If you live here, even part time, you are required to have your vehicles registered here (unless you're active military).

It's all on the DMV website, really easy to find. Anyone who's going to the trouble of buying a vehicle out of state ought to take five minutes and check out what's required...

I register (and insure...) all fourteen of our vehicles here... Sure it's expensive, but it's simply part of the overall cost of living. Those who don't like it, are very welcome to move to a cheaper state.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:07 PM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is another thread somethign like "Which State To Register in?" (not sure) and the best reply to the question was not mine, but was close.

The best reply I saw was "When the police see a motor home registration (license) plate from one state towing a car from another... They like to investigate.

And many states, California is one of them.. Is getting real nasty about out of state registration of motor homes.. I'd not be surprised to see AZ on that list.

My advice which likely won't help you much: The state in which YOU are licensed to drive. But to be honest, The same as your towed, sounds even better.

Ideally.. Motor home, Towed and Driver should be same state.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:16 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Automobilist: Bought my coach new in Bend Oregon and registered it in California with less than 600 miles on it. Not sure the 7,500 mile rule applies unless it had been register first in another state and then you want to bring it into good old California. Either way when I registered mine it cost me about $18,000 in sales tax. Guess that's how they try to maintain the Golden State status.
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:16 PM   #26

Don't know about CA or AZ, but in TX if you are at least a 50% DV you can elect which vehicle to have FREE DV tags on. I selected my 2010 Phaeton, so my plates cost me $3.00 a year. I do have to pay for the ones on my tow. You do however have to have a TX address, so we joined Escapees in Livingston, TX for our mail and to keep our TX citizenship.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:23 PM   #27

AZ has a similar set up for disabled vets, not sure of % disabled.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:50 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by w6pea View Post
I have a couple of neighbors that have Baja, Mexico plates one has had his p/u truck registered there, he bought his a week or so after I bought my F-250 p/u.....he has never registered it in California. I have written letters to DMV and the CHP and my local police department. You guessed it they have yet to do anything about it. Also I can walk out on the street right now and count 10 to 12 vehicles with not only out of state.....but more like out of country licensee plates.

Enough said before I get in trouble again.

If We Can't Haul It....You Don't Need It ! Motor-T
Might try this site: Contact The CHP

BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california