Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2011, 10:51 PM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy View Post
Actually, the sales tax in Tucson is 9.1%, where I lived in Rancho Cucamonga, CA, it is only 7.75%, and both states have a state income tax.

Depending on What City you live in Taxifornia aka California the state sales tax is 7.75% as of 1Oct2011. It can be as high as 8.75%.....then there are cities that add on for their bridges that go no where

If We Can't Haul It....You don't Need It ! Motor-T
Attached Images

"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2011, 01:17 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo13 View Post
I sent a letter to DMV this morning stating the facts about the vehicle gross weight and a copy of their website of smog facts, and explained to them that the gal at the front desk would not let me to my appointment without a smog certificate.

Why not just take it to AAA?

Old 11-03-2011, 01:21 AM   #45

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobilist View Post
California doesn't care if you have land, homes, whatever, in any or all other states. If you live here, even part time, you are required to have your vehicles registered here (unless you're active military).
Yep, I refused to take jobs in CA over just that fact.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:40 AM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
I am a CA resident and have bought the last two moho's in AZ. The first one charged me AZ sales tax which was a smaller %age than CA's, so when I went to register it in CA they charged me the difference between the two sales tax rates. The second one, the dealer did not charge me tax, just gave me a temp AZ registration so when I went to DMV here, I just paid CA the sales tax on the purchase price.

DMV, depending on the clerk, may routinely tell you at the counter it needs a smog cert. I would have them run the VIN(they have a program for it) to check and see if it actually needs a smog cert. Mine is an 04 and didn't but I don't know about the new ones.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:39 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Yep, I refused to take jobs in CA over just that fact.

Really?

If it pays enough to consider taking, I wouldn't take taxation into account. Then again, I used to fly with a few guys making $200k/year who commuted to Nevada just to avoid tax...

To each his own... I'll take year round perfect weather & lifestyle over a few bucks any time. Don't own a raincoat & don't know what "winterizing" means.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:25 PM   #48

I ended up registering the rv in CA. Pretty painless after all. Had to pay the difference in sales tax versus what I paid in AZ, no smog was required, just a vehicle inspection at the DMV. Glad it is done now.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:35 PM   #49

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobilist View Post
Really?

If it pays enough to consider taking, I wouldn't take taxation into account. Then again, I used to fly with a few guys making $200k/year who commuted to Nevada just to avoid tax...

To each his own... I'll take year round perfect weather & lifestyle over a few bucks any time. Don't own a raincoat & don't know what "winterizing" means.
Lets see: having to register my MH and toad in CA and pay sale tax again. Having to pay income tax in add'n to sales tax. Living in a state that doesn't recognize my right to self defense. High prices.

Just not worth it. Even for what I would have earned. I'd rather stay home and earn $80,000 a year rather than $150,000 in CA!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:24 AM   #50

Once you leave cali you ask yourself why you waited so long
flasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:03 AM   #51

Yep, not everyone can handle it here.

Seriously, I love folks who bash CA, especially those who actually leave.

As a genuine native, third generation Californian, the one thing that's screwed my state more than anything are the immigrants. Not just from other countries, but equally those from other states. If ya weren't born here, don't surf here.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:08 AM   #52

I was born there.I'm white so i had to leave
flasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:18 AM   #53

I'm looking at various possible retirement locations and my research indicates that for my collection of vehicles registration and taxes would be much higher in AZ than CA, mostly due to AZ's law basing taxes for new residents on the original MSRP of the vehicle regardless of its actual age.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:50 AM   #54

Fleetwood Owners Club
Any one even remotely considering Kalifornia as a retirement location needs to do some more homework. My family has been here since the 1800's and I will NOT retire here. My kids have either left already or are making plans to do so. This state has gone completely nuts, with a $20 billion+ budget shortfall projected for as long as they can see and people leaving as fast as they can. 3.6 million net lose in population should tell you something as well as the ones that are leaving are the people the government needs to tax, any one making any kind of money at all. Unemployment, still almost 20%. It is the most unfriendly state in the country for business and it is now paying the price for their stupid policies. And setting aside the financial issues for a moment, it has the most restricting laws and regulations for using the land anywhere.
macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:20 AM   #55

We just bought our first moho in Wisconsin. It cost $80.00 for registration, based on GVWR. Sure we had to pay the 5% sales tax but thats a hell of a lot cheaper than what the rest of the nation pays.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:36 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
I'm looking at various possible retirement locations and my research indicates that for my collection of vehicles registration and taxes would be much higher in AZ than CA, mostly due to AZ's law basing taxes for new residents on the original MSRP of the vehicle regardless of its actual age.

We do that here to keep people from California moving here............
Umm.... errr ... wait a minute, I moved here from CA.
NEVER MIND.....

Tags
california