Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2013, 08:14 AM   #1

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
A's with drop down bunk

Anyone have one of these? We saw one at an RV show a few weeks ago and with 3 kids it seemed like a nice set-up. We currently have a 31 foot C and really need the cab over bed for kids. The bunks in our C are small and good for kids up to about 10 years old.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Take a look at the Thor ACE and similar offering by Winnebago. They both have cab over beds that retract when not needed.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Check the new Fleetwood 33A. It is a DP with the drop down double, Cummins power!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check out the Tiffin Allegro 35QBA. It has 2 bunk beds, the couch makes into a double or queen size bed and the dinette makes into a bed for short people.

If you want to step up to a diesel check out the Tiffin Allegro RED 38QBA.

Tiffin Motorhomes | Wherever You Go, We Go.
Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:50 PM   #5

Look at the Winnabego 35B. With three kids we love having the bunks and the 1 1/2 baths. We 've not had any issues here in TX with our state parks. I do know personally things are a little tighter in Tennessee SP.
griff4217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #6

I have a drop down bunk in my brave..ha. it bounces as much as the rv does going down the road. sometimes i think its coming down on me.haha
and man there is no room up there, My ten year old is tall like me..and she complained of not having in room. i made her paint the cabinets in there for me..ha
Old 03-11-2013, 06:08 PM   #7

I saw them on a rv program on tv. My first thought was, just another thing to malfunction in 10 years.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #8

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
I saw them on a rv program on tv. My first thought was, just another thing to malfunction in 10 years.
If if takes 10 years to malfunction I'll be very happy! We've all had an swing, slide, or something else malfunction at times.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If your children are older or tall the booth dinete is not big enough for more than one, the same with the jack knife couch. The drop down bunk is only rated for 250 pounds.
If you look at the Mods thread a support I'd shown. The unit is great IMHO, and we are enjoying it greatly.
Home base Phoenix Az
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:44 AM   #10

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by judy3972 View Post
If your children are older or tall the booth dinete is not big enough for more than one, the same with the jack knife couch. The drop down bunk is only rated for 250 pounds.
If you look at the Mods thread a support I'd shown. The unit is great IMHO, and we are enjoying it greatly.
I'll check it out! Beds are important, our "queen" is a short queen and the bunks in our rig while 6 feet long are narrow. The cab over is actually the longest bed. The dinette is small and the couch is great for one. Next RV I buy I'm napping in it with the DW to really test the beds.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have an ACE with the drop down bed, it works great. One of the motors that folds the bed broke on us, but was replaced very easily. I had it fixed under warranty, but prior to taking into shop, I took the whole thing apart myself, took about 1 hr.

My oldest son is 13 and is 5'-5" and weighs 140 lbs, he has no problems sleeping in fold down bed. Actually both my sons, 9 & 13 both sleep up there at same time and has worked out great. My guess is that you can probably put more than 250 lbs up there without problems. One trip my oldest brought his friend, they both about same size, so guessing we had about 280 lbs up there, and it did not seem to be a problem.

To me, the fold down bed is way more efficient that the bunk bed scenario, as the space above where the bed folds down from is kind of wasted space otherwise, whereas the bunk beds are there taking up floor space all the time.

Good Luck!
Old 03-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #12

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
We have an ACE with the drop down bed, it works great. One of the motors that folds the bed broke on us, but was replaced very easily. I had it fixed under warranty, but prior to taking into shop, I took the whole thing apart myself, took about 1 hr.

My oldest son is 13 and is 5'-5" and weighs 140 lbs, he has no problems sleeping in fold down bed. Actually both my sons, 9 & 13 both sleep up there at same time and has worked out great. My guess is that you can probably put more than 250 lbs up there without problems. One trip my oldest brought his friend, they both about same size, so guessing we had about 280 lbs up there, and it did not seem to be a problem.

To me, the fold down bed is way more efficient that the bunk bed scenario, as the space above where the bed folds down from is kind of wasted space otherwise, whereas the bunk beds are there taking up floor space all the time.

Good Luck!
Thanks for the feedback, it is definitely a rig on our list!