Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2018, 08:24 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Asked about tarps,the other day...Look what I found

So if you remember I asked about tarps the other day. Got some good replies. But low and behold, what do you know...My sister sent this to me. It's a Car Umbrella, Resistant agains snow, rain, sun and hail...in the test they threw 2-3 bricks on it from a Roof. Not a tear/rip. Now, it may be great for a car, but hey, why not buy 2 or three for your MH or RV or 5er, or what ever you want to protect. My thought is not so much for the rain or snow but mainly for protection from the sun, when you're in those Drought stricken states like Az, Nv, or Texas. Anyway, just a thought. here's the web site:

https://amzn.to/2vHPpTn
RightUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2018, 08:42 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Interesting. Not sure what it costs - the Amazon link says "currently unavailable".

I think it would be a pain to use on an RV though.

You would have to climb up on the roof and set this umbrella at the correct spacing (may need three or four) then figure out how to tie it off to the body somehow (on the car its tied to the door handles).

How does the support base sit on the roof (just sits on roof, has magnetic base, rubber pad, something else)? You wouldn't want it to fall over while your climbing around on a ladder tying it down.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:23 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
Interesting. Not sure what it costs - the Amazon link says "currently unavailable".

I think it would be a pain to use on an RV though.

You would have to climb up on the roof and set this umbrella at the correct spacing (may need three or four) then figure out how to tie it off to the body somehow (on the car its tied to the door handles).

How does the support base sit on the roof (just sits on roof, has magnetic base, rubber pad, something else)? You wouldn't want it to fall over while your climbing around on a ladder tying it down.
valid points. I was thinking It had a Suction type base. if not you'd have to get creative. AS for tying off, maybe you could use some bungee cord for extensions or whatnot. I just don't know how management would feel about this. lol
Old 06-06-2018, 12:26 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was just brainstorming. It may not be for everyone. After all I'm 51 and still climb 30 to 50 feet into my trees to cut limbs and branches and I do the same for my mom. So I realize not everyone wants to climb up on their roof if you're in your 60's and 70s.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:44 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightUR View Post
I was just brainstorming. It may not be for everyone. After all I'm 51 and still climb 30 to 50 feet into my trees to cut limbs and branches and I do the same for my mom. So I realize not everyone wants to climb up on their roof if you're in your 60's and 70s.
I think one of these RV Storage tents/shelters would be more desirable. IMO

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ShelterL...FRWghwodE0EE6A
Old 06-06-2018, 12:48 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
$189.99 from here

https://www.amazon.com/Reliancer-Sem...YM88HTFY0RHEVS
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:13 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I'd like to watch the action in the campground when the wind and rain suddenly kick up.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightUR View Post
So if you remember I asked about tarps the other day. Got some good replies. But low and behold, what do you know...My sister sent this to me. It's a Car Umbrella, Resistant agains snow, rain, sun and hail...in the test they threw 2-3 bricks on it from a Roof. Not a tear/rip. Now, it may be great for a car, but hey, why not buy 2 or three for your MH or RV or 5er, or what ever you want to protect. My thought is not so much for the rain or snow but mainly for protection from the sun, when you're in those Drought stricken states like Az, Nv, or Texas. Anyway, just a thought. here's the web site:

https://amzn.to/2vHPpTn
check out at 6 min.

dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:57 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

Height is 9.75', be a little tight getting in
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:58 AM   #10

that was an entertaining video!
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:14 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

these are pretty nice. But I don't think CG management in Arizona or NV or Tx will just let you set them up at your pleasure. Have you run across that?
Old 06-07-2018, 09:28 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I'd like to watch the action in the campground when the wind and rain suddenly kick up.
Sooo....when you let out the Awning on your MH you watch the "Action, when the wind and rain suddenly kick up?"
Old 06-07-2018, 10:05 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Height is 9.75', be a little tight getting in
Well, that wont work :(

I thought that tent had an eve height of 12ft. But even with an eve height of 12ft it would still be tight for most RVs, so I was thinking (for a tent with eve height of 12ft) you could make some concrete "post mounts" (i.e. sonotubes buried in ground with tops sticking out, filled with concrete) so the top of concrete post would be 6 inches or a foot out of the ground. Then you mount the tent to those posts (to give you an eve height of 12'-6" or 13'.

But the bigger point is that, IMO, a canopy/tent like the one I linked to would be a better solution (for at home storage).

Not so useful if it's some sort of campsite parking protection your looking for.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:34 AM   #14

I'd be careful with anything you set up at a CG that is not securely locked down. Our friends have a 2017 Ventanna, and the guy in a campsite next to them had a large type lawn umbrella, that sits in one of those round cement bases. Anyway it got windy, and the umbrella owner had left for the day(as was our friend). The wind picked up the umbrella and slammed it into the side of our friends MH, and continued to rub against it for a few hours. It scratched the whole side, which required it to be repainted. The umbrella owner had to fork out $7,000 to cover the cost of the paint job done at the Newmar factory. I would doubt his insurance covered any of that.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote