Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2017, 11:54 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Asking for Advice

I know there have been countless comments regarding gas vs diesel. This is a bit different. Wife and I currently own a 2014 Winnebago Vista 31 KE. Other than the constant issues with the jacks, we have really enjoyed the motorhome for the last three years. When we bought it, it had 5,000 miles on it. It now has right at 20,000 miles. We pull a 2004 Jeep Wrangler.

Just finished a five week trip out west and around 5,500 miles. I now know I would like a 50 amp service for two ACs, a bedroom slide out, and a black water wash out rather than having to drag a hose through my MH. We are currently looking at Winnebago Sightseer 33C and 36Z. We are also looking at the Winnebago Forza 34T. We like both and there are currently some pretty good looking deals on the 2017.

I keep my motorhome in a 40 foot deep metal building with 14 foot walls, but the top to bottom opening is only 13 foot one inch. I am saying this because I am limited by size.

What are your thoughts regarding the motorhomes i mentioned? We are in no hurry when we travel, only driving 60 mph and I dont have any problems dropping my speed to lower rpms on steep hills. Just not in a hurry. We like the floor plans on these motorhomes.

Thanks for any advice you might have.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2017, 12:15 PM   #2

You get the Forza, someone else gets the Vista. It's a win win.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:38 AM   #3

Be very careful with that door height. Any little slope to your driveway will mean needing more clearance height than the basic height of the MH.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:18 AM   #4

If the height of any of these will fit your restriction, then go by whichever coach you feel best meets you living needs...

If you find this is too close for comfort, well then one of the advantages of air suspension in most DP's - is the ability to lower the coach a inches. (Or raise it too.) These are usually needed less then a few times a year, but can make all of the difference in those times!

You seem to be gravitating towards Winnebago, but I was not clear on if you were looking new or 1-3 years old, or 3+ years old?

If you don't mind looking at other brands. Check out the Newmar Canyon Star models. The longer models are on the 26K chassis.

If you don't mind going older, National Dolphin had some well built Class A's on the Workhorse Chassis with the 8.1 and 6sp Allison's. Well thought of by those that own them. (They also had F53 Chassis available too - if Ford vs Chevy matters to you!)

To be clear, sure not knocking the coaches you asked about - just don't know them as well, as when I looked at Winnebago's UFO models - the fit and finish of that era had me walking out of the dealer pretty quickly. But, different years can bring different 'attention to detail' by management!

Happy hunting,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice