Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2018, 10:38 AM   #1

ATF Recommendations

Hello All,
I am getting ready to do a Transmission Oil and Filter change on my 1994 Damon Intruder. F53 chassis and E40D transmission. 48800 miles.

I regularly use Mobil 1 in my daily vehicles. I am requesting any recommendations for a synthetic ATF.

Do any of you have experience with Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF in this transmission. I only recently purchased this MH and am not sure of the maintenance program that was used by the previous owner. I have no reason to believe that the MH was neglected since all the preventive maintenance I have done so far shows that it was well maintained. But I over maintain my vehicles.

I was also considering
Redline and Valvoline MaxLife.

Since this transmission hold 18 quarts I want to get it right the first time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Pete
Zman1403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2018, 10:44 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
CHECK COMPATIBILITY -- I use Valvoline Synthetic ATF in my 4R100.. I also use it in the levelers, and my F53 power steering.

Its available at Walmart for about $18 a gallon.. BE CAREFUL - The Valvoline oil jug looks identical to the ATF jug, If you'r not paying attention, I believe you could grab the wrong jug.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:51 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Stick with what Ford suggests.
You need Mercon V (5) ATF.

All of the brands that meet Mercon V have to meet Ford specifications
IggyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:03 PM   #4

Mobil 1 data sheet says that their synthetic meets or exceeds Mercon V.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:12 PM   #5

Redline D4 full Synthetic also meets or exceeds Mercon V
Old 07-19-2018, 12:21 PM   #6

Synthetic oils are for the most part the same just as fossil oils are. The only difference is the additives. If the oils label says it meets or exceeds what the mfg recommends then it should be fine.

It already has been settled that a mfg can not void the warranty if you did not use their product.

As far as using it in the levelers, it is fine but if you need to add fluid you have a leak.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:43 PM   #7

I have used Valvoline MaxLife synthetic ATF for about 7 years as a replacement for Volkswagen-spec fluid that costs 5 times the price and have no complaints. I think it is a great product if they make a version for your application.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:19 PM   #8

When our transmission was rebuilt at 85,000 miles I had Redline installed. When I change filters I use Mobil one. Have had no problems in the last 70,000 miles.