Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2008, 10:16 AM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by saydiver:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wayne M:
What we see as a set of instructions for driving

Very unfortunately, Texas RV'ers are not required to take a test. Their Class C license with a CDL-2 form is sufficient. (Things do change) There is so much information to be gained from reading the manual for each type of license. Retaining it is another story and as stated, should be reviewed from time-to-time.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not true. The form is an exemption from needing a Texas CDL, not from needing to take both a written and driving test, if you own a RV in Texas which weighs over 26,000 lbs, which requires a Class B non-CDL license or tow a trailer over 10,000 lbs which requires a Class A non-CDL license.

Also if you have air brakes, you'll have to take a written test and also demonstate your knowledge of the air brake system and if you take the driving test in a commerical vehicle you can't get a non-CDL license.

IMO the test is geared too much toward a commerical vehicle, instead of a RV.

Sue </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2008, 11:02 AM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also if you have air brakes, you'll have to take a written test and also demonstate your knowledge of the air brake system and if you take the driving test in a commerical vehicle you can't get a non-CDL license. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is one of the inconsistencies. I have an RV with air brakes but, since it weights less than 26K pounds, I'm not required to take any written or driving test on it. Actually, I fear neither since I'm paranoid about all braking systems, RV or otherwise, and know and understand my air brake system.

Wayne, my point about automatic slack adjusters is the same point that I've made to the Canadians. They are required to take a two day course on a dump truck to get an air brake endorsement. While the course has some merit, it doesn't touch on AUTOMATIC slack adjusters and they are different than manual ones. It is important that one be able to determine whether the automatic slack adjuster is functioning properly and if you don't even discuss it in the materials or testing, how will that happen? I would welcome the opportunity for one single person who took the Texas non-CDL class b examination and didn't do any other studying to demonstrate how to work with automatic slack adjusters. If the material doesn't cover the situation that the vast majority of people who are required to take the test have, what good is it????

chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:35 AM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chasfm11:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not inconsistent. It's an endorsement for the Class A or B license.

Sue
Old 09-07-2008, 11:39 AM   #18

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by saydiver:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chasfm11:
That is one of the inconsistencies. I have an RV with air brakes but, since it weights less than 26K pounds, I'm not required to take any written or driving test on it. Actually, I fear neither since I'm paranoid about all braking systems, RV or otherwise, and know and understand my air brake system.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not inconsistent. It's an endorsement for the Class A or B license.

Sue </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 09-07-2008, 03:57 PM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sue, what I meant is that the requirement for licensing is inconsistent. If you have to know about air brakes to pass at test for an non-CDL Class B license, how is that you can drive an RV that weighs 4K pounds less with the same type of air brake system and not have to know about from a licensing perspective. My guess is that our RV has all the same components in air brakes that a Freighliner XC chassis under the heavier coach.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 04:01 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Sue, what I meant is that the requirement for licensing is inconsistent. If you have to know about air brakes to pass at test for an non-CDL Class B license, how is that you can drive an RV that weighs 4K pounds less with the same type of air brake system and not have to know about from a licensing perspective. My guess is that our RV has all the same components in air brakes that a Freighliner XC chassis under the heavier coach. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The state governments are inconsistent. Who woulda thunk it?

joe
Old 07-13-2009, 07:26 AM   #21

Tom and Ellen. I haven't done a private email on this new system and don't know how. We live in SC and am interested in your information. Could you send an email to bbiggs@bellsouth.net. Thanks.

Beverly
Old 07-13-2009, 10:13 AM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
About 4 years ago I bit the bullet and went to a truck drivers school in my home area (NC), talked to the fellow that ran it and told him I wasn't going to drive a truck for a living at my age (69) but I wanted the training experience.

He set me up on a training schedule and I had a ball. Drove 18 wheelers, sometimes with other students on board, as many as 5 total (they had sleeper cab rigs)---- We alternated driving. I had already studied and passed all the required written tests on my own. I had also taken a DOT physical which is required for presentation at the DMV at the license issue time. Then I took the road test for my Class A CDL and passed with flying colors.

It was a great experience .
Old 07-13-2009, 02:10 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy and Beverly View Post
Tom and Ellen. I haven't done a private email on this new system and don't know how. We live in SC and am interested in your information. Could you send an email to bbiggs@bellsouth.net. Thanks.

Beverly
BEVERLY: You may not get a reply. The OP was made in September 2008. The OP's last activity on iRV2 was April 2009, so they may not see your thread reply. Therefore your best bet is to try contacting them thru PM.

All you need to do to send them a PM is click on their screen name in the OP and then select the "send private message" choice from the drop down.

I don't know their email address. Hope this helps,
ED
Old 07-13-2009, 02:54 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Am currently studying for the Texas class B (non-com'l) written and practical (driving) test. The DPS examiner gave me the "Texas Commercial Motor Vehicle Drivers Handbook - Nov. 2008 revision" for study and advised that for a non-com'l upgrade the only chapters applicable were #14 for the written and numbers 11, 12 and 13 for the walk around (pre-flight for you airmachine drivers) and driving portion. Chapter 12 ONLY discusses straight line backing (wonder if I'm allowed to bring DW and bystanders normally required for this maneuver) and parallel parking!!! They've got to be kidding. Am hoping that their traffic cones are the very resilient types.
I did ask how the MH was to arrive at the testing site and was informed that there would be no questions asked about how it got there.
More to report next week,
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:57 PM   #25

Edgray:

Thanks. I have sent a private message.

Beverly
Old 01-19-2015, 04:46 PM   #26

SC RV License

We would love to hear about the quirky parts of the test. DHG45

QUOTE=NCTom;454402]About a month ago while reading a motor home magazine I saw a list of states and their specific requirements for driver's license for motor homes. I live in SC and bought my Class A motor home about a year ago and never knew until I read the article that SC requires a special license. Here is the SC law. To drive an automobile you need a Class D license. To operate a motor home that weighs more than 26,000 lbs gross vehicle weight, you must obtain a Class E license. To operate a motor home that weighs more than 26,000 lbs and tow a trailer or vehicle, you must obtain a Class F license.

Some out there may have already known this, I didn't. Yesterday I passed the driving skills and road test and obtained my Class F license. I had previously passed the written part of the test and recieved my "Learner's permit". The only problem with the learner's permit is I could not find anyone with a Class F license to ride with me when I practiced driving my RV during that time. Nor could I find a person to go with me to the DMV yesterday to take my test at the North Augusta DMV. I love living on the edge!! Oh, by the way, you have to go to specifically designated DMVs in SC to take the RV skills and road test. Written test can be taken at any SC DMV. When I finished and passed I told the examiner that I was a little apprehensive about driving my MH into the DMV without a license. I told him I had looked and couldn't find a co-driver.
The examiner told me he wasn't suprised as he had been an examiner for the state of SC for 18 yrs and I was his first ever RV skills and road test.
And here is the main reason I wanted to post this information for all SC motor home owners that fall in the above catagories. The examiner told me that the SC DMV had recently sent out a memo telling all of their examiner's and enforcement people to start enforcing the laws. He said that the state will soon begin a program where they will match RV registrations with the owner's driver's license to determine if the owner possesses the correct license. He wouldn't tell me what the penalty would be if an owner didn't have the correct liscense, nor did he say they would give the owner a designated time to obtain the correct liscense.
The information in the Driver's manual is very limited on RVs and the Commercial Driver's manual has even less, other than information on air brakes.
The skills and driving test are the same that an appplicant for a Commercial Driver's license takes. There were a couple of quirky things about the tests that is not in any book and if interested let me know and I'll be glad to share them with you.
I hope this helps some of my fellow travelers. We spend enough money in this lifestyle without giving any more to the state in fines !!!!1[/QUOTE]
Old 01-19-2015, 06:34 PM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Driver license test--

Hi Tom,

My friends recently went through this requirement to upgrade their licenses in NC, for a heavy Diesel Pusher (over 26,000 lbs).

When they contacted the road test examiner they asked the question you posed- How do I get the vehicle down to the road test area if I can't find an appropriately licensed companion to accompany me?

The answer they got was "They (the RV's) just appear here overnight!"