Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2015, 05:36 PM   #1

ATV Rear Rack on a diesel pusher

I have a 36 foot gillig chassis, with air suspension and air brakes, it has a 3208 cat with side radiator, I want to add a rear rack wide enough for my 700 pound 4x4 atv, which i would haul along with my chevy tracker 4x4 toad.
Has anyone carried that much weight on the rear of a frame mounted rack? I currently haul a 292 pound motorcycle on a hitch mounted rack with a double reciever and a hitch extension so i can pull the tracker 4x4 it works well and the motorcycle rack is 24" wide. the atv rack would need to 48" wide with the reciever for the toad built as part of the rack. My plan calls for utilizing 2" reciever stock for the mount and rack.

Thanks for any help
Muledeer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2015, 06:15 PM   #2

I've seen some rear racks with golf carts, I talked to one guy said his rack took a fork lift to put it on weight as much as the golf cart combined about 2,000 that's a lot cantilevered off the rear.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:07 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
check to see what the hitch is rated for as far as tongue weight. if your rack and 4 wheeler combined weight is more than that then proceed at your own risk.
Pekenoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 05:54 PM   #4

What is your rear axle GVW? When fully-loaded now and beginning a long trip, what is approx. actual rear axle weight? When loading your 7,000# ATV+ mount weight to the rear(about 10' rear of rear axle), keep in mind you will be lightening the front axle weight.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:46 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On my previous RV, 1989 Elite w/Gillig chassis and 3208 Allison I carried on the back my full dress Ultra Classic Harley. It rode on a RV Lift which used an electric winch [similar to the Hydralift Hydraulic Motorcycle Lift] which rode high and allowed me to tow as well. The Lift and rack assembled with bolts and removable pins in pieces. Sliding the lift out of the triple receivers in one piece (assembled) would require a fork lift.
The KEY thing needed is a triple receiver (thick steel) to be welded directly to the frame underneath. The sides of the receiver has to heavy steel so that it will not tear with the bouncing of the coach. Never had a problem in over 5 years.
There is a math formula regarding how much weight and overhang behind the rear wheels is allowed without taking weight off the front wheels.
Now my bike rides inside and stays clean.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:24 PM   #6

700 pounds not 7,000 pounds.................and i have a rear rack now that holds 500 pounds, this atv weighs less than a full size harley road bike.

Thanks
Old 03-06-2015, 11:32 PM   #7

thanks best reply so far, My plan includes two 2" recievers one on each side of the frame, the current center reciever is rated for 5,000 lbs, and i would use my center reciever with a hitch extension to tow my chevy tracker, the other two recievers would support the frame for my 4x4 atv which weighs 700 pounds, with a pair of ramps the atv could be easily loaded and unloaded from either side. I could tie all three recievers together which might be better as the center hitch extension would be pretty long.
Thank you for your input.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muledeer2 View Post
thanks best reply so far, My plan includes two 2" recievers one on each side of the frame, the current center reciever is rated for 5,000 lbs, and i would use my center reciever with a hitch extension to tow my chevy tracker, the other two recievers would support the frame for my 4x4 atv which weighs 700 pounds, with a pair of ramps the atv could be easily loaded and unloaded from either side. I could tie all three recievers together which might be better as the center hitch extension would be pretty long.
Thank you for your input.
I run a motorcycle carrier on my class A gasser. I made it much like you described with two 2" receivers mounted to the outside of the frame rails. I made the hitch extension for the toad with 2" square 1/4" wall tubing. Out at the end I tied the extension to the motorcycle carrier but I didn't solid mount it. I used a piece of 2 1/2" tube to make a sleeve that slides over the extension and the sleeve is tied to the motorcycle carrier. That way it supports the extension vertically and side to side but allows it to be free front to back to prevent any binding. Very solid and have logged tens of thousands of miles with this setup without issue. Don't think I'd try a 700# atv on a class A but on a DP it would seem do-able.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	arizona05 044 (Medium).jpg
Views:	257
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	87927  
Old 03-07-2015, 09:55 AM   #9

pbdblue, thanks for the picture, I actually ran a similar setup on a fifthwheel without the center hitch, my current design for use with my rokon trail breaker and 24" wide rack, utilizes a double reciever that slides into my current hitch on the rear of the diesel pusher, in the top reciever of the double adaptor I use a 24" wide rack with a motorcyle rail on it, the lower reciever has a 24" straight extension that mt blue ox slides into, since there is no weight on the tow bar only forward and rearward thrust, nver had a problem with it to date, I just need something wider for the ATV so I was thinking of a frame work that extends out the rear about 54" with the hitch extension in the reciever and also attached to the rack frame because of the length of the extension, my goal is to take my ATV as well as my chevy tracker on hunting trips.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:56 AM   #10

I tow a Nissan Xterra 4WD (4300#) and a dirt bike (260#'ish). With a really long extension you might feel the toad pulling on the rig a little but with a large DP maybe not.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muledeer2 View Post
700 pounds not 7,000 pounds.................and i have a rear rack now that holds 500 pounds, this atv weighs less than a full size harley road bike.

Thanks
OOPS! My bad. One little zero makes a huge difference_. Yes, I've seen many DP's with a Harley on the lift above the hitch. The have all had tag-axles best I remember.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel