Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2017, 11:35 AM   #1

Atwood furnace smells gas

Anybody have any advice on Atwood furnace series 8525 model I smell gas around the vent. I'm thinking it may be the gas valve not sure.
Dave0559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2017, 02:24 PM   #2

2 places to check

LP gas line connections to furnace
Gas valve to burner

Although LP line pressure is only roughly 0.4 psi (11" WC) gas valves can leak thru
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:12 PM   #3

Ours is not an atwood, but we had the same issue. The gas valve on ours has a diaphragm that has a very small hole in the housing. It seems that once the diaphragm fails, gas leeks out of the small hole. It drove me nuts until we used a propane sniffer and finally found it. Had to replace the regulator. Chuck
chuckbear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
Ours is not an atwood, but we had the same issue. The gas valve on ours has a diaphragm that has a very small hole in the housing. It seems that once the diaphragm fails, gas leeks out of the small hole. It drove me nuts until we used a propane sniffer and finally found it. Had to replace the regulator. Chuck

Sounds like you had a LP Regulator leak from 1st stage vent VS a leaking GAS Valve on the furnace like OPs issue
Old 03-31-2017, 05:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Sounds like you had a LP Regulator leak from 1st stage vent VS a leaking GAS Valve on the furnace like OPs issue
That's correct, but the water heater sits right under the furnace and we thought at first it was the furnace. It's best to get someone with a propane sniffer to check things out. I would have pulled the furnace apart looking for it since nothing showed up as leaks in the water heater lines using a soap test. Chuck
Old 03-31-2017, 11:43 PM   #6

Quote:
That's correct, but the water heater sits right under the furnace and we thought at first it was the furnace. It's best to get someone with a propane sniffer to check things out. I would have pulled the furnace apart looking for it since nothing showed up as leaks in the water heater lines using a soap test. Chuck
Sound advice using a propane sniffer

Not making the connection between LP Regulator leak vs furnace or water heater....neither of which have a regulator

LP Regulator is right at propane tank
Old 04-01-2017, 07:17 AM   #7

Old Biscuit. Maybe I'm not using the right terminology but I don't know what else to call it. It is some type of electric valve on the water heater gas line that turns the flame on and off for the water heater. So a regulator? Chuck
Old 04-01-2017, 11:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Old Biscuit. Maybe I'm not using the right terminology but I don't know what else to call it. It is some type of electric valve on the water heater gas line that turns the flame on and off for the water heater. So a regulator? Chuck
That would be the solenoid operated gas valve
Water heater, furnace, fridge use them

LP Regulator.....
That is the propane system regulator at tank that controls the system pressure

A Gas Valve is CLOSED or OPEN-----stops/allows flow
A Regulator modulates between Closed and Open----controls pressure in system based in downstream flow demands

Atwood furnace gas valve

Suburban Water Heater Gas Valve

LP Regulator for MHs
Old 04-05-2017, 06:13 PM   #9

Hey thanks everyone
Dave0559 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, atwood, furnace, gas, smell