Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-23-2011, 03:17 AM   #1
Atwood Levelegs Shaft Failure Question

Did a quick search on Atwood Levelegs and only found electric motor issues, so I thought I would ask my specific question.

Started my annual 2 Week Vacay with an issue. Had a failure of the levelegs on my Fleetwood Bounder Diesel. The drivers side front leg was touching the ground, and wouldn't raise. The electric motor was spinning freely, but no motion on the leg. Crawled underneath and the leg moved freely up and down.

Took the whole assembly off the coach and and disassembled in the campground. Wella, broken shear pin in the shaft.

To make a long story, short, I ended up finding a shear pin on that evening from Camping World. I didn't have all my tools (A VICE, mainly) and couldn't get the pin in. So, I put a screw in, temporarily, to get me by on this vacation. After I plugged it back in, the screw broke. DOH!

So, I called Atwood and talked to their Tech Service. They said they didn't recommend replacing the pin, but the whole assembly. When I told them about the screw, they suggested it was too weak. I have the square 13" 7500K legs.

So, after a little thought, I found an Atwood Authorized Dealer and ordered the whole assembly for express delivery. Got the new leg, and installed it that afternoon. It leveled the coach back out and problem solved. I was happy.

Made it to the 2nd Destination, leveled out fine. Was packing up to leave and pulled in slides and started my retract, when I heard the dreaded CLANG!!! The new leg did the same thing, dropped down and sheared the pin. I didn't take the new leg apart, but it freewheeld like the old one. I ended up getting some bailing wire and tying it up.

I called atwood and explained the failure of the 2nd Leg. He said, Wow, I didn't think it would do that. I asked him what I should do next and he suggested replacing the control board, as it measures resistance on the motor and is supposed to stop power to it.

So, Luckily, the new leg is under warranty, but now, I am worried this will happen again. Thinking about the replacing the board, but wanted to know if anyone has run into this on this forum.

THanks in Advance for any help.

M Hall
2007 Fleetwood Bounder Diesel.

mehall2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Atwood Level Legs

Last August I had the same problem, except that I knuckled under and ordered a new leg thru Camping World. I did save the old one with a thought to rebuild it. When you have time please share with me what type shear pin and it's strength rating that you secured. Also, if you were able to successfully press it in. Thanks,

jmcgarity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It appears that I have the same problem, the motor runs when the power is on but the leg dosen't move. At least it was in the up position when this happen to me. The only help I got from the mfr was to replace the leg and at what cost? Since I'm done camping for the summer now, I plan on working on it later. Did you fiqure out anything else on the shear pin that would work?
2006 Scottsdale
winger01 is offline   Reply With Quote