Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2017, 06:12 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Atwood water heater - On Electric

I'm parked in SW Fla and hooked to shore power. Running the water heater on electric. My question is, once I turn it on is it best to just leave it on 24/7 or is it better for the heater to turn it on just before you need hot water and turn it off for overnight or when we leave the coach? I'm concerned that by leaving it on it would over tax the element and lead to premature failure. Am I over concerned???

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2017, 06:22 AM   #2

It will only heat until the water gets to the right temp. Then it will cycle on and off to maintain that temp, it's not going to keep heating the whole time. It's kind of a toss up, how long does it take to heat a tank of water? Are you willing to wait that long when you want hot water? It takes a while to heat a tank of water but doesn't take much to maintain that temp, especially in a warmer climate like Fl.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:23 AM   #3

I would say over concerned yes but worthy to ask the question. The electric element in our water heaters is the same element off the shelf at lowes to a home unit. It is designed to stay on like your home unit. We leave ours on all the time when on electric or propane when away from electric. Read your owners manual if you have one or download it and take a read if you want.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:43 AM   #4

Atwood water heater - On Electric

I leave ours on all the time when parked at a campground with one exception.

The exception is when we are overtaxing the electrical load. I.e., elec water heater, ac, microwave, coffee pot, is too much if they all cycle on at the same time and will trip a breaker. However, we only have 30amp service. If your unit has 50 amp service and or a load balancing device, your results may vary.
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:48 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Turned mine on 4 years ago. Haven't turned it off yet.

2009 Safari Cheetah 42' PAQ
2009 Honda CRV
tbfirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:49 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks guys, I thought I might be over concerned about this. You.ve put my mind at ease!

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:58 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The answer depends on who is paying for the electricity, or rather how you are paying.

Now in my case it is included in the flat monthly fee. So I leave mine on 24x7 usually (Was off last night but.. Well.. I goofed, fixed and it's back on now).

If you are paying by the KWH.. Well then you might want to turn it off till about an hour before you need it.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:15 PM   #8

Your Atwood WH electric element is a 120V AC 1400W element just like those used in residential WHs.

Your Atwood t-stat controls heating cycles for electric and propane......allows water to be heated to 140*F then OPENS to stop heating cycle. When water cools down to 110*F the t-stat CLOSES and allows heating to resume.
IF t-stat should fail to open then the ECO (Energy Cut Off---HI temp t-stat) will OPEN at 180*F and 'lock out' any further heating cycles ---until Fault Reset.

Electric recovery time is roughly 6 gallons per hour based on initial heating and water at 70*F

Turning it ON/OFF.......personal preferences.
I turn mine ON when hooked up to shore power and don't turn it back OFF until when disconnect from shore power.
I like HOT water when I want hot water....don't want to have to wait or remember to turn it on 20 mins before I want to use hot water.
I do the same when using propane....ON
For me it is all about convenience as cost for either electric/propane is minimal in over all costs of RVng

Others turn it ON/OFF as needed
Again personal preference.

FYI...we FTd for 7 yrs and electric element in water heater and fridge were ON all the time we were connected to shore power and BOTH are OEM ----now 10 yrs old

Using them doesn't 'wear' them out.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:47 PM   #9

yes, leave it on when on shore power

no need to worry, it's just like your home water heater
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 04:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
The answer depends on who is paying for the electricity, or rather how you are paying.

Now in my case it is included in the flat monthly fee. So I leave mine on 24x7 usually (Was off last night but.. Well.. I goofed, fixed and it's back on now).

If you are paying by the KWH.. Well then you might want to turn it off till about an hour before you need it.
just leave it on;; the amount of power you may or may not save is miniscule
unless u only use hot water once a day or less
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atwood, heat, heater, water, water heater