Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2018, 11:33 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Atwood Water Heater problem

Hi Guys

I have a problem with my Atwood water heater on my RV cutting out every 20-30 secs
I've only had the RV a few weeks and are some distance from the dealers here in the UK and are due to return there in a few months to touch base with them

I'd like to perhaps sort the issue myself if I can

The water heater ignites OK and roars furiously at various tones then slowly dies away and eventually stops. This is on a regular 20-30 sec cycle and will do this for about 15mins until it runs evenly. Constant igniting of the bolier can't be doing it any good

The heater dates back to 2007 but has seen very little use in that time

Any ideas please?

Pete
Fireflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2018, 11:47 PM   #2

Dirty orifice, burner tube, combustion/exhaust chamber would be place to start

Little use means bugs/insects/spider webs etc

So remove ignitor assembly...clean it off using emery cloth

Remove burner tube...clean it out using small bottle brush. Check that the flame spreader plate is parallel with end of burner tube

Remove orifice...screws into gas valve---soak in alcohol then blow dry (low air pressure so the orifice hole is not damaged....no poking things thru it either)
Run wire thru combustion chamber and out exhaust side...tie rag to wire and pull it back thru (chimney sweep)
\
Put it back together and give it a try.
When it lights off...adjust air shutter (plate on burner tube with slots) so flame is BLUE with slight roar

IF Flame still peters out.......LP Regulator is not keeping up with demand
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:24 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How does the stove flame look and act? If it acts the same way as the water heater the look more towards the regulator and or the propane itself.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:35 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
How does the stove flame look and act? If it acts the same way as the water heater the look more towards the regulator and or the propane itself.
Hi SuperGewl. All is fine at the stove with constant blue flame of good strength

I’m gonna do what Old-biscuit says and strip it down. I think that this would probably not have been done by the dealer if it worked OK after being left on to test and inspect later as it gets better once warmed up and guess they didn’t spot it at PDI
Fireflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:50 PM   #5

Good flames at stove top is NOT a true indication that main LP Reg is holding/maintaining correct system pressure

Stove/oven uses its own reg for burners.
System pressure S/B 11"WC.......stove/oven reg is 10" WC
11"----0.4 psi
10"----0.36 psi
Hard to visually see 0.04 psi difference

IF system is only 10" stove/oven can still function properly BUT water heater will not due to low system pressure.

Manometer is what is used to prove LP Reg is holding/maintaining system pressure under demand
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:12 PM   #6

atwoodwaterheater.pdf

You can start throwing parts at it. A friend just went through this. He put in a new flame sensor then put in a new circuit board. It did not fix it. Took it to a local guy who replaced the new circuit board. His comment was that he did not have good luck with Atwood circuit boards. They cost about 100.00 for that part. There is an Atwood repair manual see above.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:53 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think you are best to go ahead and break it down and clean the gas tubes properly and then reassemble it and adjust it and see if things are better.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftodaro View Post
Attachment 212278

You can start throwing parts at it. A friend just went through this. He put in a new flame sensor then put in a new circuit board. It did not fix it. Took it to a local guy who replaced the new circuit board. His comment was that he did not have good luck with Atwood circuit boards. They cost about 100.00 for that part. There is an Atwood repair manual see above.

Thanks for the troubleshooting manual-great to add to the “hope I never need it” archive!
sfergie631 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atwood, heat, heater, water, water heater