Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2014, 07:16 AM   #1

Audio amplifier power connection

I am installing a small Alpine Amp to power a Diamond Audio 8" sub and I'm not sure where the best place is to connect the main power wire. I have done regular car installs before and right to the battery has always been the way, but really not sure what's best in a RV. Thanks in advance for some guidance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2014, 07:55 AM   #2

When we added an amp to our Fleetwood, we ran to the Batt. connection under the dash.

It was feed by a 5? gauge wire, more then enough for the small amp we added.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:23 AM   #3

Alpine calls for a 4 gauge power wire minimum with a 30 amp fuse right to the battery. I'm not sure anything in my dash would support that.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:24 PM   #4

Audio amplifier power connection

Yes. Big amp = big wattage = big power draw (amperage). Go right to battery with fused hot wire. Probably negative too. There might be a big buss near your battery you can use if it is wired heavily enough. You'll just have to remember to turn it off.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:35 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On Chrysler and GM vehicles, this includes Workhorse chassis motor homes,, On the main fuse panel there are TWO brass studs, usually at the bottom of the panel.. On my W-22 I forget if these are HOT ignition on, Hot Accessory on or always hot, but they are protected with one 30 amp fuse each.

A Chrysler Engineer I know, recommends this as the attach point for ham radio gear (I think always hot) and it is, in fact, where I feed the radio in my Chrysler product towed from though the ciruit breaker which is the first thing off the stud is a bit smaller than 30 amp.

When I needed to provide alternate power to the blower for air circulation that's where I tapped it from... (I finally found the breaker that had failed that is the primary source and fixed it)

I do not have any contact with Ford products or engineers so I can not tell you if they have such a stud.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmweb View Post
Yes. Big amp = big wattage = big power draw (amperage). Go right to battery with fused hot wire. Probably negative too. There might be a big buss near your battery you can use if it is wired heavily enough. You'll just have to remember to turn it off.
So will it work when I'm plugged in or with the generator running as well as the engine running without any issues? I'm new to this and want to make sure I do it right the first time.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:23 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
We went a different direction with this and used a small 120v amp plugged into the inverter outlet in the entertainment center. Product is made by Topping and came from China -- took a couple months to arrive but we like the small profile and power consumption. Ordered from PartsExpress. \ken
Topping TP60 Tripath TA2022 50WPC (80WPC 4 Ohm) Amplifier | 310-326
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:45 PM   #8

That's pretty cool, but I am only adding an Alpine MRV-M250 Class D Mono Amp for my sub. The main speakers running off the head unit are fine.

Tags
audio, power