Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2011, 03:12 PM   #1

Audio/Video Receiver Replacement

I have an RCA RTD 300 A/V Receiver in my 2006 Diplomat which has quit working. This one has the VCR and DVD built in. I dont care about the VCR, but would like to find a replacement receiver with the built in DVD player. The only ones I have been able to find are the home theater receivers with all the speakers included. I don't need new speakers, just a receiver. I am also looking to find one that is less than 17 inches wide to fit in overhead cabinet. Does anyone know of a suitable replacement?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2011, 09:42 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
you're probably going to be stuck buying a complete system and just not using the speakers.

Be sure to get BluRay, guaranteed you'll regret it if you don't.

we recently bought a panasonic bluray system (for the house not the rv), I think from target, for like $300. It is exactly 17" wide.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:38 AM   #3

That's prpbably what I am going to do. If I had more room in the overhead, I would buy a higher end receiver and a separate blu-ray DVD, but I have to install Satellite box, switching box, and receiver in the same cabinet, and it's really tight. Still looking for suggestions.. I have about decided to upgrade TV with new LCD w/ digital tuner now that I have all of the wiring disconnected. I just need to decide on a mounting method.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:05 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Same issue here. I have a separate Blue Ray player but by the time I add that and a DirecTV PVR I won't have the room for all those components.

Shopped on the net for the combo Blue Ray receiver but could not find it without speakers either.

'05 Dutch Star 4011
chapdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:54 PM   #5

Sony BD-VE780W and Samsung HT6500W

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmnlsu View Post
That's prpbably what I am going to do. If I had more room in the overhead, I would buy a higher end receiver and a separate blu-ray DVD, but I have to install Satellite box, switching box, and receiver in the same cabinet, and it's really tight. Still looking for suggestions..
Both of these Blu-Ray DVD receivers have 2 HDMI inputs which allows connection of Direct/DishTV box + another HDMI source:
Sony BD-VE780W Blu-ray home theater system at Crutchfield.com

Samsung HT-D6500W 3D-ready Blu-ray home theater system with built-in Wi-FiŽ at Crutchfield.com

CNET Review of Samsung box:
Samsung HT-C6500 Review - Watch CNET's Video Review
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:23 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Both of these Blu-Ray DVD receivers have 2 HDMI inputs which allows connection of Direct/DishTV box + another HDMI source:
Sony BD-VE780W Blu-ray home theater system at Crutchfield.com

Samsung HT-D6500W 3D-ready Blu-ray home theater system with built-in Wi-FiŽ at Crutchfield.com

CNET Review of Samsung box:
Samsung HT-C6500 Review - Watch CNET's Video Review
Those look nice but its hard for me to swallow spending $5-600 when I know I'll only be using +-1/2 of the value. All my speakers are already built into my rig.

Anybody need some HTIB speakers?

'05 Dutch Star 4011
Old 07-30-2011, 02:24 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I installed my new Samsung 32 inch LCD TV I was able to retire my receiver that I used for A/V switching.
The new TV has more than enough HDMI and component inputs for all my electronics - VHS player, five disc CD/MP3/DVD player, Blueray player and satellite receiver. I can switch to any of them using the TV menu -and the remote.

I do use an A/B switch to switch between the Traveler Sk-5000 dish on the roof and an external dish which I need once a year or so when the Traveler is blocked by trees.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:47 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
When I installed my new Samsung 32 inch LCD TV I was able to retire my receiver that I used for A/V switching.
The new TV has more than enough HDMI and component inputs for all my electronics - VHS player, five disc CD/MP3/DVD player, Blueray player and satellite receiver. I can switch to any of them using the TV menu -and the remote.

I do use an A/B switch to switch between the Traveler Sk-5000 dish on the roof and an external dish which I need once a year or so when the Traveler is blocked by trees.
Could/do you handle switching to 2nd TV or 2nd set of speakers with that setup? I have surround sound (5.1) up front and stereo in the rear.

I am also considering the Samsung 32" LCD.

'05 Dutch Star 4011
Old 07-30-2011, 06:25 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
had the exact same OE unit die on us, replaced with a $99 RCA home theater from wallyworld-speakers are in our basement in the original box...thought about replacing the TV's going to HD but with having to replace the Winegard satellite as well, wasn't worth the expense...for now!
txdutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:21 PM   #10

Speakers have an OHM rating. 4, 8, & 16 ohms are common. Your old receiver's speakers may not match the new receiver; therefore, you may need to use the new speakers to match the new receiver. To use speakers that do not match your receiver will cause distorted sound.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:58 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Some receivers have adjustable OHM settings....

But probably not in this price range.

'05 Dutch Star 4011
Old 07-31-2011, 10:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
So you have a video switch, but what about sound? Are you playing each source through the TV's speakers?
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:53 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
So you have a video switch, but what about sound? Are you playing each source through the TV's speakers?
Yes and no.
I have hearing aids and use a device called a TV Streamer that broadcasts a 2.4GHz FM signal to my aids. It connects to the audio line- out on the TV.

My wife listens via the TV speakers unless we are in an RV park with close neighbors sitting outside and she doesn't want to disturb them. Then she uses a set of Sennheiser wireless headphones. That transmitter connects to the TV optical digital audio out via a Toslink adapter.

The toslink adapter converts either optical digital audio or coax digital audio to analog audio RCA outputs.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:57 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapdog View Post
Could/do you handle switching to 2nd TV or 2nd set of speakers with that setup? I have surround sound (5.1) up front and stereo in the rear.

I am also considering the Samsung 32" LCD.
No I can't. We don't have a second TV or a second set of speakers so that wasn't an issue for us.
As mentioned in my post immediately above we do have some additional devices that connect to the TV audio outputs.

Tags
replacement