Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2016, 01:51 PM   #1

Auto door lock is extremely loud

Hello all,

I had a quick question for you RV gurus. We are looking at buying a used Winnebago Tour that has an auto door-locking feature (apparently an air lock feature).

When we take it out on test drives, and stop at a stop sign, the door lock pops really loud when it disengages. As we take our foot off the brake and start moving forward again, it reengages, again to a very loud pop. I can assume it should make some sound, but this is a bit like a snap-pop or slapping a ruler down on a desk or something.

I've looked at the door from several angles and it does seem to stick farther out from the frame on the side of the door opposite the hinges (when looking at the door, the left side) by about 1/2 - 1 inch. I'm wondering if the door needs to be realigned.

Does anyone know if this loud popping sound is normal behavior? I feel that its a big issue that could become extremely distracting in any stop and go traffic.

Thanks to anyone who might have an opinion or answer!

-clink
clink is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2016, 05:00 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
First I will give you a "qualified" answer. On our Newmar the "auto lock" is very loud when it engages. But, yours unlocks every time you stop with the vehicle transmission still engaged?!? Ours locks automatically but we have to unlock it manually when we park/stop. If that's normal operation it would drive me nuts!!!!!!
Old 03-07-2016, 05:39 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Hello Clink,

Please read this thread:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/2014...ml#post2191093

I believe you have the same issue. It is common that the components get out of adjustment. In the thread Jesse has the solution.

Let us know how you came out.

Best regards,
W.D.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:53 AM   #4

Stealth and Electra:

Thank you so much for your replies. Both are spot on and Electra that other thread you referred me to was spot on...down to the repair shop claiming the sound was "normal" lol.

I forwarded that info over to him and we'll see where it goes from there. Fingers crossed!!!

In any case thank you both so much!!!
clink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door