Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2014, 06:45 PM   #1

Auto Leveling Air Springs

I am trying to locate a complete kit 4-wheel springs, compressor, controllers and lines for my 1999 Newmar DutchStar (I believe the chassis is the Ford F53). It seems that in my area, none of the RV dealers have done all 4 wheels with air springs (just rear) and none seem to know of an automatic controller.

Zippo1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2014, 07:35 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Use the search function at the top of the page to search for air springs on F-53 chassis. Here's one thread: F53 Air Ride system,Yes/No

I don't know if an auto leveling system is available, most all I've seen are manually set from driver's seat.

1990-2008 Ford F53 Chassis Motorhome Air Spring Kits, Air Bags. Add-on Air Springs for RVs and Motorhomes - Shockwarehouse.com - Shockwarehouse.com
Firestone Ride Rite Air Spring Bag Model 2475 Ford F53 20,000/22,.. (newer models f-53)
Firestone 2170 - 1999-2012 Ford Motorhome F53 Class A (16,000 to 22,000 GVWR) - REAR Ride Rite Air Bag Helper Springs (pair) | SuspensionConnection.com
Perhaps if you 'spring' for the system you could install height valve adjusters like DP chassis use to adjust automatically.

On the Ford chassis, the air springs generally aren't to replace the steel springs, just assist and help dampen rough road. They also don't increase weight carrying capacity but will adjust for old, weakening springs.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:08 PM   #3

Pretty much a novice on RV

Thanks for Links but they haven't provided much to my present problem.
Wife's dream and partially mine was to travel via RV after her retirement (I am a Disabled Veteran and out of paid workforce since 1997). After a number of trips to Area RV dealers, we found the Dutchstar that seemed to be perfect and at right price. Bought in February and picked it up two weeks later. The dealer was to go through and make sure everything was perfect (old RV but only 23,000 miles) and install satellite dish. I fell for the line about how manager, a Veteran, made sure a fellow Veteran got the best deal and service and more so as I was a Disabled Vet.
Had some problems on driving home - windshield wiper didn't work; wouldn't notice had not it been raining, hydraulic jacks went down but couldn't retract, and electrical problems with power distribution. Notified dealer and Service Department said I owed $450 more fore satellite (which I paid). In liking at contract, I signed AS IS and seems this dealer was using this as his reason for not helping with any problems.
With friends, I fixed what I could, and figured rest I would enlist son (Army Mechanic) to help. I rewired; lubed; and replaced all fluids; son found short on hydraulic pump; we drilled wiper arm bushing; and in May, we went on the road. We dingy my Silverado pickup and problem on handling RV in wind and on roads with high gradient or curves. In talking with RVers, all recommended to have air bags installed and most said it is better to have them on all four wheels.
I've read the good and bad and will get 4 installed but have found few in area (western Idaho) that could help me on proper 4-bag installation and manual adjustments for different load and road conditions. I have read that there are systems that keep motor home level and am trying to find same.

Old 07-26-2014, 04:25 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippo1969 View Post
I have read that there are systems that keep motor home level and am trying to find same.
I dont think your going to find anything for a Ford F-53 chassis, thats going to acomplish that.
I would get your son to check all the sway-bar bushings. If worn, replace them with poly bushings.
Also consider the 'Cheap Handling Fix', you can read about on the Ford chassis owners forum.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:12 AM   #5

"Also consider the 'Cheap Handling Fix', you can read about on the Ford chassis owners forum. "
I viewed the cheap handling fix and looked under both front and back (both have sway bars); neither has a second set of holes. A rough guess would be they are about 75-degrees from vertical.
I also saw that there is no steering stabilizer and that seems to be not only a comfort feature but an almost required safety feature especially for me. Looking for recommendations on best stabilizer.

Tags
leveling