Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2014, 04:09 PM   #1

Auto-Leveling on Thor Hurricane 33T

I am currently experiencing problems with my LCI auto-leveling system on my Thor Hurricane 33T. When I turn on my ignition on the motorhome (MH), I have 5 yellow light that flash. The control panel looks like the one below. The flashing lights are the ones on the left side.

Ultra Level Leveling Control Panel W/Jbl Connector – Lippert Components, Inc Online Store

I have spent hours on the internet trying to find the problem. Unfortunately, the Lippert website has deleted info on my system. What I believe has occurred is that not long ago, I forgot to turn off both off the master power switches on the coach after placing it back in storage after a camping trip. When I went back a month later to fire everything up, every battery in the MH was dead. I got all the batteries recharged, and now that problem is fixed. However, now the leveling system has the flashing lights. Is it possible that when the batteries died, that the leveling system lost its memory for what level is? I believe they call it a zero leveli level point, or something like that. I am still trying to find instructions on how to restore the zero level point. Sorry for such a long post. If anyone has had this problem and knows where I can get info how to fix it, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading and have a nice day.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2014, 04:14 PM   #2

Here is a better URL for that control panel.

Ultra Level Leveling Control Panel W/Jbl Connector – Lippert Components, Inc Online Store

Thanks again.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:25 PM   #3

After losing power such as a battery disconnect you have to reset the system and then you have to manually level the coach and then tell the system to remember that condition so that next time you use the auto level it brings the sensors back to that state.

This is how we do ours. Not sure if yours is the same but worth a try:

To reset, you just hold all four buttons simultaneously (front/back/left/side). To calibrate it, you have to manually level the coach and then tell the leveler system that it is leveled by turning the panel off, then on, pressing the front button 5 times followed by the rear button five times, then the retract button 3 times and you are set.

Hope it helps.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:42 PM   #4

I have the Lippert Ultra Level system in my Thor Challenger. Two easy things to check, you say the ignition is on but you didn't mention if the engine is running. I have had an alarm sound on mine when the engine was not running because of low battery power. I always run the engine when using the levelers. The other thing that will sound an alarm is if the parking brake is not set.

It might also be the "Error Mode". That might mean over or under current, short or open circuit, jack extended or retracted too long.

You might try calling Lippert and see if they will give you some guidance or send you an owners manual. If they won't I can scan and email you a copy of my owners manual.

FYI, I don't use the Auto Level feature anymore. I level in the Manual mode. The Auto level will raise the coach up much higher, it takes longer and jerks the RV around in the process. I suggest you get the coach level using a bubble level on the floor or counter or whatever feels right to you. Then install a small dual bubble level like this one next to the leveler controls,

2-Axis Spirit Levels - Cross and T Shaped Dual Axis Spirit Levels

You can find them at RV parts stores or some hardware stores for a couple of bucks. I level from front to rear first. Then side to side.
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:00 PM   #5

Thanks for your response. I have tried it with the ignition turned on, with the engine running, and with the ignition turned off. On each occasion, I had the parking brake set. With the ignition off, everything completely dead. With the ignition on and engine not running, and with the engine running, I get the 5 blinking lights on the left. I believe I messed it up by running the batteries dead. Guess my best thing to do is call Lippert and ask how to reset level on the system. Right now, I can't do anything with it the way it is. The lights blink and the the buttons have absolutely no effect on the system. How do the rest of you feel about manual versus automatic leveling? I am new to the RV'ing world, purchasing mine this past August. Thanks again for your replies and help. Al2ride, I am also retired Air Force. Spent total of 30 years in there, most of it with Special Operations at Hurlburt Field, Florida.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabit View Post
How do the rest of you feel about manual versus automatic leveling?

I usually just do the manual leveling option, I find it quicker and get a better result. The auto level always seems to raise it to high, I have done the re-set zero out thing several times and it still has issues once in a while lifting the tires off the ground.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:57 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by H3OHIO View Post
I usually just do the manual leveling option, I find it quicker and get a better result. The auto level always seems to raise it to high, I have done the re-set zero out thing several times and it still has issues once in a while lifting the tires off the ground.
X2 on the manual leveling. Have also started using doubled 2x12 jack pads and that seems to make it a little easier to level and jacks don't need to extend so far.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:56 AM   #8

It sounds like your getting the "Error Mode" warning. The manual says that when in the error mode all systems are disabled. I don't think that is something that is caused by the not having the auto-level reset but hopefully Lippert will be able to help you out.

The issue of Auto/Manual leveling has been discussed on this site in the past. You should be able to find those threads by using the site search feature. From those threads I gather that most people use the Manual mode. The sales people at the dealership where I bought my MH touted the auto leveling system. After I bought the MH I spoke to the service people about the leveling system. They told me they never use the auto mode, always manual. Go figure.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:59 PM   #9

We've always used the auto leveling without a problem. What's the consensus on the manual procedure? I'm assuming that if the coach is lower in the front, then lower the rear just until it makes contact with the ground and then level the front...then go left/right?
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:30 AM   #10

Glad I found this forum. Appears to be some smart and experienced RV'ers on here, which is great for a newbie like me. Thought I would pass on the info I received after talking to Lippert about my Thor Hurricane Leveling system problem, to aid those who may have a similar problem in the future. The support techie told me that the system shuts down when the batteries are completely drained and needs to be sort of rebooted, like a computer. She told me to hold down the front/rear/left/right buttons simultaneously to correct the problem. Stated it was a common problem. Wish they had that type of support info on their website, but appears they only publish support for only their latest systems. The MH is in covered storage about 50 miles away, and haven't had a chance to perform the procedure, but thought I'd put this out there if anyone else has a similar problem. Will post a final result when I get it done later this week. Thanks to all for reading and supporting this new motor home owner.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:51 AM   #11

Interesting. When I store my MH (equipped with the Lippert Ultra-Level system) I disconnect both the house and chassis batteries. I've have not had to reset the level system when re-connecting the batteries. Maybe the system is sensitive to low power but no power is not a problem. I'll check my owners manual again. I didn't see anything about the low power reset procedure. Thanks for posting it here jlabit. I'm glad it was something simple.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:07 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I mostly use the refrigerator door method, I open it and if it does'nt close or swing back , it's level enough for the fridge and probably me too.
When my leveler lights blinked it was an error code saying it lost a sensor to one of the jacks, it was a chafed and cut wire to one of the rear jacks.
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:25 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had the exact same problem 3 months ago and called for tech support as well. I was instructed to do the same thing to reset and it worked beautifully.

Good Luck

Pitbull

Tags
hurricane, leveling, thor