Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2015, 02:37 PM   #1

Smile Automatic electric drain valves

Anyone install the DrainMaster electric waste valve assembly? Any big issues?

Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2015, 05:09 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdawgs View Post
Anyone install the DrainMaster electric waste valve assembly? Any big issues?

I installed one on the black tank about one year ago. It has been trouble free. My wife has had to find a new game as her old game of telling me the black tank is full at mid night when it's raining doesn't work anymore.

Make sure you can mount it oriented somewhere between level and motor up. I put a switch in the power before the valve so I can completely cut the power when traveling to prevent an unpleasant mistake.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:04 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I added one to my black tank with an interior and exterior switch. I also use a SaniCon and added a second switch for it inside. The morning that we depart, I can open the drain valve, turn on the SaniCon and dump the tanks while putting things away inside. By the time I go outside, I just put the hose away.

Mine has worked fine, but the exterior switch quit on our last trip. It can be opened manually, but the interior switch was still working. I think it's just a connection.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:52 PM   #4

Thanks for the response. I had planned to add 2 valves (black and grey). Looks like most only do the black. I use the 3" drain most of the time and use the Sanicon only when I need to pump uphill.

Thanks for the input.
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:05 PM   #5

I have considered adding one to the grey tank but wouldn't feel comfortable with it on the black. Since we only do that about once a week or so I would rather be out there monitoring it as it was draining. A loose or faulty hose is one thing with the grey tank, quite another with the black. The electric valve on the grey tank would be quite useful however.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 12:27 PM   #6

Automatic electric drain valves

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
I have considered adding one to the grey tank but wouldn't feel comfortable with it on the black. Since we only do that about once a week or so I would rather be out there monitoring it as it was draining. A loose or faulty hose is one thing with the grey tank, quite another with the black. The electric valve on the grey tank would be quite useful however.

I leave my gray valve open most of the time. The black electric does require that you watch your sewer hookup but the key there is making sure it's secure when hooking up. The only time I had an issue was before I installed the electric. I had the connector at the sewer end pop out. Probably 50% of sewer connections these days are threaded and these can be made very secure. A quality sewer hose & fittings is, of course, another requirement. I also have a "Sewer Pig" full of water as a weight on the sewer connection. After 8 years full time, I look at my sewer connection every time I walk by. Eternal vigilance is the price to prevent a nasty surprise, electric or not.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 02:21 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I can't think of a situation where it matters. My black tank is either capped or connected. My SaniCon is positively connected at the tank and the campground dump connection. I find almost all campgrounds in the past few years are now requiring a positive connection and have threaded connections.

When it comes to the grey, mine is always open when were connected. Since we use the SaniCon system, it doesn't really need a grey water flush after black tank dumping.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:53 AM   #8

I installed the valtera 3" on my black tank and barker 1 1/2" on my grey tank. Wouldn't be without them. They do sell adapters for the falters to knock it down for grey tanks, but got a great deal on the barker.