Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2013, 08:10 AM   #1

Automatic Fire Extinguishers

So looking into getting a Automatic Fire Extinguisher for the generator and refrigerator compartments. I know of the Fire Fight Halon products that we have seen on this forum but are there others?

One of the products I have found looks interesting. It would have to be mounted in the upper part of the refrigerator compartment. The name is Flame Defender or Watch Dog. I was looking at the 2kg size. Here is a link and video. Amazon Link and
video.

Another is very simple. Auto Out and
video

So have any of you installed anything other? Thanks !
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2013, 05:12 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
MAC the Fire Guy, seen at many FMCA Rallies stands behind these products:
My Business - Products
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #3

Ordered some parts for my ref. from this place and noticed that he had some extinguishers for sale. If you need a part or some info. about you ref. this the guy to talk too. RV Cooling Unit Warehouse
ccrider, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:37 AM   #4

Do any of you have pictures of your installed extinguishers ?
Old 03-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Don't have it installed just yet due to MH still being in storage but have purchased a 4L dual remote head AFFF system to install in the engine compartment. Purchased it from Fire Fight Supplemental Halon Fire Suppression Systems.

Installed their 2L system with remote head in the refer compartment of my last motorhome with a norcold refridg.

Will try to take some pics of the install.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #6

Thanks, I am thinking of the SS-30 and making a bracket so it can stand upright in the (outside) refrigerator compartment.

I am going to take some measurements in the next week.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:20 PM   #7

Just asking - do fire extinguishers have to meet any product standard and if so what is the standard and secondly does the SS 30 meet any product standard? I've looked everywhere and have not come across any information. I recently looked at a SS 30 and could not determine whether it met any product standard nor where it is manufactured. Red flags for me.
Docschro98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docschro98
Just asking - do fire extinguishers have to meet any product standard and if so what is the standard and secondly does the SS 30 meet any product standard? I've looked everywhere and have not come across any information. I recently looked at a SS 30 and could not determine whether it met any product standard nor where it is manufactured. Red flags for me.
I think that's a fair question and I can't answer it. When I order mine I think I will call and ask. It is on my list as well as the Amish install. Still - if it met the same standards as the Norcold I don't think that would make me feel much better. Better red flags than flames and lights. Other than going residential I don't have a lot of choices for my 1210IM. No flame intended.
Steve
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a thread about placement of fire extinguishers with many other links of discussions on Norcold problems.
All of the added fire extinguishers would not be necessary if Norcold had a good cooling coil unit, the well build Amish unit can take care of that.
All my years of RVing and having a RV fridge never had problems with a fridge until these cheap cooling coils showed up.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #10

Flaggship1, I was only referring to a standard for the fire extinguisher. I , myself went with the Amish unit and although we haven't been anywhere to use it (recent install) I'm very confident in what I chose. Not so on the extinguisher I was shown and offered. I know many have said the extinguisher isn't needed with the Amish unit but the concept of installing an extinguisher - I like. I'm not comfortable installing something as important as this without third party oversight (ie; a product standard). I suspect that the SS 30 is imported and does not meet any standard. A shame because the concept of this unit is great, relatively low cost, easy to install and should provide the needed protection. It appears that the SS 30 has a lock on the market as I could not find anything to compare it to. I would like to see some competition, allowing me a choice. Maybe Dave Force can lend a little insight. I haven't had a chance to call him on this yet and I apologize for that.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #11

I guess my question is "can it do any harm" installing one.

Being that I am in the HVAC profession I have not seen any product specifications in the Amish cooling units vs. the OE ones. Are they truly made better ? How do you know ?
Old 03-26-2013, 07:45 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Docschro98 - 100% with you. My correspondence with Dave Force was by email and only asked which extinguisher should I get just to be sure. He answered all my questions except that one.

I'm waiting on a few other things to come in from other suppliers and should have them this week. Dave said they could get the Amish out in a matter of days and since I'm having it done by a shop - want all other things in hand first. First one to report back wins .

As to another post on how do we know their better. Aside from word of mouth, side by side comparison, and no reports that I've seen of significant failure - I guess we don't. Yet I'm convinced.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #13

The only proof on the Amish unit is customer testimony which has been great. By the same token I haven't heard of anyone telling us the extinguisher has put out their fire. No customer experience there. I'm not trying to be confrontational, only inquisitive. All of the equipment you install meets certain standards and that is a good thing. Always a good thing. Unfortunately not everything meets a standard. As a consumer I always try to look for the protection that standards provide.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:15 AM   #14

Here's a couple pix of mine

Halon in Lower Fridge

AFFF Engine Compartment (located under a drawer in the bedroom)

There is a second Halon in the upper side of the fridge that I seem to be lacking a pic

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote