Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2015, 01:09 PM   #1

Automatic generator setting

My 2013 40 GBH Tiffin Phaeton HAS A REMOTE INVERTER CONTROL SETTONG FOR THE GEN TO STARTUP AUTOMATICALLY ONCE THE COACH BATTERIES NEED CHARGING. WANTING FEEDBACK ON THE DETAILS OF THIS SETTING AND ALSO ANY EXPERIENCE STORIES.
Trans. Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2015, 01:27 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to the forum!!!!

Well we know that our batteries shouldn't regularly be taken below 50% SOC. Keeping that in mind I think you'll have to see how much you're taking out of your batteries. What makes this a bit of a trial and error thing is that the more load the lower the immediate voltage at the battery terminals.
For instance if you always have a big draw then your batteries may read lower than 12.2 vdc. This doesn't mean that your batteries are at 50%. On the other hand if there is no load and the batteries are at 12.2 than you want the generator to kick in pretty soon.
Good luck and happy camping!
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:48 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Welcome...

We may need a little more info to help.

The first question, and it may sound dumb but, are you sure you have an AGS module installed? As an example, I was very mistaken when I ASSUMED that since my remote had an AGS setting that I had one.

What model inverter do you have and what is the model of the remote control?
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:15 AM   #4

Received info from dealer on how to

It is wired for remote. Instructed by dealer to press small AGS button then rotate large knob to "on" illustrated on screen. Can other owners confirm?
Old 04-16-2015, 06:28 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Mine does not work that way.

It would help a GREAT deal if you would have posted the brand and model number of the Inverter your have, the brand and model number of the Inverter remote panel that you have and the brand and model number of the AGS that you have.

Since there are many different brands and models it is tough trying to use a crystal ball to help you.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:24 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I was very mistaken when I ASSUMED that since my remote had an AGS setting that I had one.
How can you tell when shopping if it just has a button/setting or really has AGS?

I am shopping now and made that same assumption that if it had the AGS switch, it had AGS...
MeSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSteve View Post
How can you tell when shopping if it just has a button/setting or really has AGS? I am shopping now and made that same assumption that if it had the AGS switch, it had AGS...
While going thru the unit with the salesman, have them show you how it works. If they can bring on the genny via the monitor station, than that shows the system has the ability and components required.

2013 Palazzo 33.3
HVAC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:25 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
That tells me it has a remote start/stop. But is that automatically indicative of AGS?
MeSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSteve View Post
That tells me it has a remote start/stop. But is that automatically indicative of AGS?

No. Mine has remote but not AGS.

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT
Old 04-19-2015, 08:00 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC Bill View Post
While going thru the unit with the salesman, have them show you how it works. If they can bring on the genny via the monitor station, than that shows the system has the ability and components required.

2013 Palazzo 33.3
That assumes the salesperson knows how to use it. Never trust them as I found out in my case since the salesman didn't know I didn't have AGS. LOL

Assuming you are dealing with a Magnum Energy AGS there are a couple things to check on an ME-RC or ME-ARC.

1. Go to the SET UP menu and dial though it to the AGS set up. If it says something like NO COMM then you don't have it or it is malfunctioning badly.

2. Go to the TECH menu, select TEMPERATURE, then dial through to AGS TEMP. If you have an AGS this will tell you if there is a remote temp sensor installed and what the temperature at that remote sensor is. HOWEVER...if the AGS was set up to allow the thermostats in the coach to activate the AGS, I am not sure who that reads. It might read EXT for external. That would be a great outcome if so.

You should also be able to locate the actual AGS module. The most likely place for it to be located would be on a basement wall near the inverter/charger. Since the basement on a dealer lot should be pretty empty it could be easy to spot.

Also, I am more familiar with after market additions of the AGS so if it was installed at the factory they may have located the AGS some other place but it should be accessible in some manner to see some setting lights on the front of it along with a test switch.

One last thing is that when you play with the remote control and find BMK settings . The battery monitor kit is a great addition.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:30 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

The manual for the inverter remote panel will tell you how to use it. If you don't have the manual, it can usually be found online and downloaded. So what make/model is shown on the panel that has AGS controls? If you provide that info, maybe somebody can give more specific help.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:15 AM   #12

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans. Cajun View Post
My 2013 40 GBH Tiffin Phaeton HAS A REMOTE INVERTER CONTROL SETTONG FOR THE GEN TO STARTUP AUTOMATICALLY ONCE THE COACH BATTERIES NEED CHARGING. WANTING FEEDBACK ON THE DETAILS OF THIS SETTING AND ALSO ANY EXPERIENCE STORIES.
Can't offer much in the way of settings, except to suggest maybe a 11.9dcv min. and much like where an inverter might cut itself off.
As for experiences, my gen set has started up on it's own, twice now and I don't even have this feature....lol....or at least I don't think I do and haven't ever had this happen in 8yrs of ownership. Only recent thing I did, was to gunk clean it and hose it down some with water, but then, I've done this before and more than once. Besides, it's had plenty of time for drying out and assuming that has anything to do with anything.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:42 AM   #13

AGS control, yes, confusing for initial setup, and with VDC volts 'battery depleted' control:

I've set my AGS to act as a batter charger whenever we are drycamping, using the VDC Volts control mode within the Magnum programming unit.
I will say that I've had success maybe once or twice since I finally found out how to program it properly...maybe(?). I think that there are TWO items of main concern: VOLTS, and RV/Other Mode.
-Volts/VDC is the battery number that you want to 'trigger' the AGS to crank your generator - though, I've not found that 'special' number yet that really works best for me. It probably has to be higher than I am setting it, as normally the AGS tries to crank the generator, but there is then not enough battery power left to make it happen(!)... and I've ALSO realized that none of this AGS will work if you do not have enough fuel, usually more than a 1/4 tank.
-RV/Other mode: took me a while to find ANYTHING about this feature in Magnums owner manuals. RV Mode means that if the AGS starts the generator, any 'manual' cutoff of the generator, such as at the dash or the generator itself, will then DISABLE the AGS function FROM THEN ON!
The 'other' Mode is for setting the AGS to ALWAYS perform no matter if you had last manually cut off the generator. I find this my preferred mode since you can allow the AGS to start the generator, but you might not necessarily want it to run for the minimum 30 minutes or 2 hours that you might have programmed it for, but the AGS will CONTINUE to stay programmed for the next time it needs to start.
Here's some clips of important AGS programming items on my Magnum panel:
A) the START VOLTS option: this is after pressing the AGS button
B) START VDC battery number: this is variable and up to you, you might have to try several different settings to get it where it works best for you - lower, and the AGS might take too long to start, higher, and it might start too often.
C) AGS Mode: either RV(manually disabled), or ...
D) AGS Mode: OTHER...the AGS will continue to be active regardless of any
manual shutdown of the generator
E) ENABLE function: enables the AGS(turns ON the AGS feature) - also there is a 'TEST' function that you can use that will do a trial test of turning on the generator, so that you know the AGS can actually do it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A) start volts.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	91924   Click image for larger version

Name:	B) volts VDC.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	91925  

Name:	C) RV mode.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	91926   Click image for larger version

Name:	D) other Mode.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	91927  

Name:	E) ENABLE.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	91928  
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:10 PM   #14

MisterT 's info and pictures very helpful. Best info yet.

Tags
generator