Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2018, 06:00 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Automatic leveling jacks

We are looking at a 2015 Class A Winnebago Tribute that has automatic leveling jacks. I think the system is quite useful but DW is asking me if it's just another gadget or if RVers find them essential, useful, or just another gadget.
What do folks think?
Paladin718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2018, 06:07 PM   #2

Love mine, but they can sometimes be problematic. Lots of posts with them either not extending or retracting.

Love your signature!
Kxbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:19 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I never use mine, I always level manually.
When I level the coach it sits a little lower to the ground than when I use the automatic leveling. My height challenged wife likes that better because the rise from the ground to the bottom step is shorter.
Besides, the automatic system is so particular about people moving around inside (understandably so) that it's really much easier for me to level it myself than to either have both of us sit VERY still while it levels, or scurry out the door after I push the button to start the process.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin718 View Post
We are looking at a 2015 Class A Winnebago Tribute that has automatic leveling jacks. I think the system is quite useful but DW is asking me if it's just another gadget or if RVers find them essential, useful, or just another gadget.
What do folks think?
They are pretty sturdy. If they are off level you can recalibrate them. All in all the mechanical part is pretty solid. Hydraulics systems are simple and easy to repair.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:59 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You can certainly live without them, but once you have them you will never want to be with out them. My first 3 coaches did not have them and I used orange blocks to level under the wheels. I was okay with doing that. Now that I have had my last 4 with levelers I love them.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:11 PM   #6

Quote:
What do folks think?
Lived without them on other coaches just fine. However, now that I have them I appreciate them. Very quick and easy to level the coach without even getting out if you are sure of the ground below. Also, another really nice feature is that it lifts the coach off the springs and suspension so it doesn't wobble and rock when you move around in the coach.
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:11 PM   #7

I have the automatic leveller and love them. One push of the button and in about a minute we're level. I've never needed to level manually but the control panel allows me to. Generally if your site is fairly level then the system has no problem, if on the other hand if the site is way off then you might want to level manually.
keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:36 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
By no means essential but mine are sure nice to have.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:49 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks to all

Sounds like the levelers are a "good to have" whether automatic or manual!
Paladin718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Sounds like the levelers are a "good to have" whether automatic or manual!
They are especially appreciated on a rainy day, when getting outside and on the ground to place boards gets you all wet and dirty.
Simply activate the leveling system and wait for the 2-3 minutes it takes for the system to level the coach.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:09 PM   #11

I have not seen any system that is purely manual. Everything I have seen are systems with automatic and manual modes. The first time you try to get set up on a site when it is dark and raining without a leveling system that you can operate from inside the coach, you will wish you had one.

AL
BigHomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:10 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Be certain the ground is not soft if you bury the pad it may be a headache to reset [emoji45]
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:48 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
What do folks think?
Have had them on three coaches and would not be without them.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 04:02 PM   #14

I wouldn't be without them.
Carlos Marti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, leveling, leveling jacks