Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2017, 07:51 PM   #1

Automatic step maintenance

Last night I crawled under my MH and lubricated the moving parts on the electric steps. I had my wife open and shut the door so I could lubricate anything that moved while it was moving. I have done this at least a couple times a season since owning my MH.
I used WD-40 as it won't collect a lot of dust or dirt and wiped excess off anything which doesn't move.
I often see posts on this forum where folks have problems with their steps not working properly. I wonder if this might be due to neglect of rust causing the steps to bind and put undue stress on the motor or other delicate parts?
Is there anything else I should look for or do to keep the steps working well?
Lynn

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2017, 09:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Last night I crawled under my MH and lubricated the moving parts on the electric steps. I had my wife open and shut the door so I could lubricate anything that moved while it was moving. I have done this at least a couple times a season since owning my MH.
I used WD-40 as it won't collect a lot of dust or dirt and wiped excess off anything which doesn't move.
I often see posts on this forum where folks have problems with their steps not working properly. I wonder if this might be due to neglect of rust causing the steps to bind and put undue stress on the motor or other delicate parts?
Is there anything else I should look for or do to keep the steps working well?
Lynn
You're doing EXACTLY what you're supposed to and, what a very large percentage of RVers DON'T DO, and that is maintenance on that step system. There really isn't much else to do on them. There's lots of pivot points that can and, often do, get bound up, due to lack of maintenance. As for the use of WD 40, that's fine. Anything will work, just about any oil, spray, spray-grease etc. Do just what you're doing, wiping off excess. Now, if you start to see a build up of debris/grunge/ugly stuff around all the joints, that's no big deal.
Just cruise on down to your local Oreileys or, Auto Zone and pick up a can of Brakleen or, any other spray type carburetor cleaner. Park your coach some place where the run-off won't do any damage. Then, extend your steps and liberally spay all the pivot points and joints. Do it several times 'till the can is empty.
Most of that stuff evaporates rather rapidly. So, all the pivot point well be as new and, you can now relube with your choice of lubricants.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:13 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I use T-9 Bioshield on all moving parts (including stairs). You can purchase it on Amazon.

Here is the manufacturer's web site. https://boeshield.com/rv-trailer/
Old 05-25-2017, 12:25 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
WD-40 will attract dirt and dust. This is why its bad to use it as chain lube for bicycles.

It's better to use a dry lubricant if possible for something exposed to the type of grime you will pick up on the road.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:06 PM   #5

[QUOTE=Knoxie89;3615642]WD-40 will attract dirt and dust. This is why its bad to use it as chain lube for bicycles.

It's better to use a dry lubricant if possible for something exposed to the type of grime you will pick up on the road.[/QUOTE
I have tried dry lubes before but wasn't satisfied they were the thing to use. I just don't think the light film lasts long on the pivot points. The steps are open often and get hit with rain and I wash my MH often. I would think most dirt and dust would be rinsed off.
Before I lube the pivot points I clean the areas with a brake cleaner to remove any residue.
Lynn
Old 05-25-2017, 04:23 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
You can also use a more robust lubricant but WD-40 shouldn't be used. It's not meant for long term lubrication.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:36 PM   #7

WD-40 is not much of a lube.
It's intended to displace water...Water Displacement #40.
Others much better lube...
Chain lubes come w the tube to get it where you want it...it penetrate small areas and solvent evaporates to leave a thicker layer just wipe off external excess
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:59 PM   #8

I have thought about chain lube. I have a few cans here I use in the wintertime on my front mounted snowblower's auger drive chain on my tractor.
Lynn
Old 05-25-2017, 06:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by veraken View Post
I use T-9 Bioshield on all moving parts (including stairs). You can purchase it on Amazon.

X2--and this product is excellent for many other uses on your motorhome.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by veraken View Post

I'm always open to suggestions. I may try this also.
Lynn
Old 05-25-2017, 09:01 PM   #11

Quote:
I have thought about chain lube. I have a few cans here I use in the wintertime on my front mounted snowblower's auger drive chain on my tractor.
Lynn
I bet the snow blower gets used in Watertown... Lived in Potsdam & Canton for 11 yrs...many moons ago
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:46 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I personally prefer using a dry graphite lubricant on my step rails.

NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance