Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2015, 07:57 PM   #1
WDW

Automatic transfer switch

So I was looking at an A / Coachmen and the rep pointed out that it did not have an automatic transfer switch. Just plug it in when un plugging from shore power.

Makes sense. So why the need for such a device?

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree
2015 JAYCO 31FK

Western New York

WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2015, 08:02 PM   #2
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
So I was looking at an A / Coachmen and the rep pointed out that it did not have an automatic transfer switch. Just plug it in when un plugging from shore power.

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree
2015 JAYCO 31FK

Western New York
Sort of like power windows...........just another way to accomplish a pretty easy task and make it more complicated.

KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:04 PM   #3

Automatic transfer switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post

Convenience. It's storming outside and dark....now the power goes out. With an automatic transfer switch, just press the generator start button, and Voila! You can keep cooking your dinner, and keep cool with the AC.....without it you would have to go unplug the shore cord from the outlet and plug it into a receptacle in the basement near the generator....getting wet in the process!

This also allows the use of AGS (auto generator start) which can start the generator automatically in the case of a power failure or the thermostat calling for AC and there is no shore power available.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:09 PM   #4

I am surprised any manufacturer would leave a transfer switch off for numerous reasons, but not surprised it is Coachmen.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:16 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why have an automatic transfer switch.

I pulled into the nice new campground (Well the part I was in was new) and plugged into the nice solid 50 amp outlet.. Very good power.... Then teh clouds rolled in the lightening flashed, the thunder rolled the rain came down in great quantity and shore power... Went away... Without getting my feet wet I went up to the front of the RV. and pressed a button or two (One button top and bottom, bottom first) and ... Chugga, Chugga Varoom... 30 seconds later the lights brightened and everything worked again.

Folks with the go outside and plug in systems... Got very very wet.e

There is a 2nd reason as well....

The generator outlet is often in the Power bay where you store the cord coiled.. I have done a test on a coied cord (12ga on a 15 amp outlet drawing aroudn 4-7 amps) coiled and stretched out.. The coiled part got very warm.. Due to the low current it did not get dangerously warm but If I'd have been pulling more amps it would have become a hazard. When you plug in you usually have the cord coiled in the bay.. While I've never heard of a fire because of that... It still concerns me. That said, the coil made by a 30 or 50 amp cord is much larger in diamater, and fewer in turns than the 12ga coil I tested with,,,, Thus it is much safer.. But .. Well.. I really am diagnosed as paranoid (And at one time paid to be just that as well) so I tend to worry about this kind of thing.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:34 PM   #6

An automatic transfer switch costs money, and some manufacturers cut every cost that they think they can get away with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
I am surprised any manufacturer would leave a transfer switch off for numerous reasons, but not surprised it is Coachmen.

George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transfer switch