Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2018, 09:46 AM   #1

Automatic Transfer Switch

Hello,

I think I have narrowed down an issue. I need to find the automatic transfer switch (ATS) in my 1999 Newmar Dutchstar. Does anyone have any idea where to start looking?

Adam
Brajo50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2018, 09:50 AM   #2

Mine was behind the breaker panel on our pace arrow. ..worth a look
wingnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:51 AM   #3

Power cable bay , on the back wall , if original it should say " Todd Engineering ", , Power switch , black box 8" square .
Black & grey cables into bottom in this photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0273 (640x360).jpg
Views:	218
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	203665   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0135 (480x640).jpg
Views:	275
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	203666  

Old 05-21-2018, 09:55 AM   #4

Adam, back in the day , Newmar used the Dutch Star name on both gas and diesel pusher models , so it's important to include chassis info in posts or set up a signature line .
Old 05-21-2018, 10:13 AM   #5

Could the transfer switch cause both the water heater and refrigerator not to work on shore power? Both work on propane. Both work on electric when the generator is running. Neither work if I am plugged into shore power and the generator is not running.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajo50 View Post
Could the transfer switch cause both the water heater and refrigerator not to work on shore power? Both work on propane. Both work on electric when the generator is running. Neither work if I am plugged into shore power and the generator is not running.
IF and that's a big " IF " your WH and fridge are the only 120 volt items not working on shore power , you may have a different problem .
How about the rest of the 120 volt wall outlets and the roof air conditioner?

Is your coach a DPusher and if so, have you found the switch in the photos?
Old 05-21-2018, 10:52 AM   #7

Yes. The coach is a pusher with a 7500 watt generator and it has the 8.3 Cummins in it. The rest of the coach works on 110. AC unit works on shore power. At first I thought it was the invertor, but if the inverter is off, then no power is supplied to the outlets (as expected). The only two items that do not work on shore power are the two that run off both propane and electric.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:53 AM   #8

So the switch is the black box that says "Todd" on it. It has some huge wires coming in and out or is it the part that you circled in yellow? Thank again!
Old 05-21-2018, 11:15 AM   #9

No , the switch is the one with the huge wires and the second picture is what you'll see with the cover off.
yellow circle is the 12 volt house power disconnect relay. From when I used the picture in another post.

If you have no 120 volt, anywhere, in the coach on shore power then it's either the transfer switch or your power cable, provided you've checked the outlet the coach is plugged into .
Old 05-21-2018, 12:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
No , the switch is the one with the huge wires and the second picture is what you'll see with the cover off.
yellow circle is the 12 volt house power disconnect relay. From when I used the picture in another post.

If you have no 120 volt, anywhere, in the coach on shore power then it's either the transfer switch or your power cable, provided you've checked the outlet the coach is plugged into .

I have power in the coach everywhere except the refrigerator and hot water heater. The both work when the generator is on and they both work on propane. Just not on shore power. All the outlets and AC work when plugged into shore power.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajo50 View Post
I have power in the coach everywhere except the refrigerator and hot water heater. The both work when the generator is on and they both work on propane. Just not on shore power. All the outlets and AC work when plugged into shore power.
Ok , sorry I missed one of your posts. That said you have only the two systems that don't work on shore power .
Your coach has the optional Heart inverter , for partial house power , my inverter only powers the front TV. There is some info in my owners manual about the wiring and secondary 120 volt circuit breaker panel that is part of your inverter package , I'll re-read the manual to see if I can figure anything out from that info.

EDIT : Do both roof air conditioners work : the roof units would be on separate power feeds from the transfer switch . and the two other dead loads may be on with the second A/C unit.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:48 PM   #12

Ok , from the very vague , diagram in my Newmar owners manual .
I will try and scan the pages through , when I get access to my scanner later .
The air conditioners , water heater , fridge and washer dryer all get their power directly from the circuit breaker panel ; all other outlets are run through the inverter.
Because my coach is broken down in Salem OR. I can't pull the breaker panel apart to see how the distribution of each leg of the two 50amp supplies are distributed , and because I don't have the Heart inverter , that wouldn't be much use anyhow.
Right now I'd say that one leg of the two 50 amp supply circuits is dead either at the post , in the power cord , or through the transfer switch.
Do you have a multi-meter that will test alternating current circuits?

If so here's a diagram on testing the post plug.
I'll set up a diagram for testing power from the post through the transfer switch and post it with the scan later.
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2018, 04:52 PM   #13

lost 1/2 of your 50amp RV incoming service, possibly...though I would also suspect that one of the air conditioners is also that side, so check both and see if they work/don't work with the shore power only.

and, yes, it COULD lie within your ATS wiring - as sometimes a wire will become loose over time and no longer make it's correct connection.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
switch, transfer switch