Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2013, 11:05 PM   #15

I have a 2012 Fleetwood. My TRC Surge Guard also didn't last long. I believe it might be an inferior product. A wise man turned me onto the Progressive Industries product.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2013, 10:21 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Where did the OP go?????? Warranty?????2013 model!!!!!

Yeah me too. It amazes me the number of posts from people who have paid literally hundreds of thousands of dollars for new coaches and then when they have a problem are looking for what they need to purchase in order to fix it.

I purchased a used coach with an extensive warranty and the only thing I have replaced is the fresh water controller for the fresh water pump and that is because it is cheaper to purchase it than my deductible and takes about ten minutes to replace. Everything else that has needed fixed has been taken to whatever RV repair shop I am near and they fixed it.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:26 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melmoses View Post
At the bottom of the specs in bold print it says "will not work with Winnebago energy mgmt unit". Wonder about using the Progressive Industries EMS that a lot of us have?
I believe there is a difference between energy mgmt. unit and surge protection. If I understand the energy mgmt. unit that device monitors power so you do not have more than 50 amps per leg being used on either leg of the 50 amp power cable. I do not believe that is the same thing as a surge protector so I am not sure why you would worry about the a transfer switch not working with the surge protector you have ?
Old 12-31-2013, 10:55 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A little O/T, but can anyone comment as to whether an occasional "thump" from the transfer switch is considered normal? I notice an occasional thump from the area close to where our shore power plug is; it almost sounds like someone has walked by and hit the side of the RV.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:18 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
A little O/T, but can anyone comment as to whether an occasional "thump" from the transfer switch is considered normal? I notice an occasional thump from the area close to where our shore power plug is; it almost sounds like someone has walked by and hit the side of the RV.
Sarah, I would be more inclined to believe that what you are hearing is the result of a leveler leg settling. It will sound, and or feel, like someone pounded on the side of the MH.

A single thump from the T/X after it's been energized for a period of time is NOT normal in my experience.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:15 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
TRC 41260 Surge Guard Transfer Switch

The RV park we are in experienced a power failure early this morning and when power was restored I remained 'in the dark' after all my neighbors were back on 'shore power'. The TRC transfer switch won't take shore power - both the park management and I have independently verified that the 30 amp pedestal connection has nominal voltage, is polarized correctly and grounded (it worked fine for several days before the outage). The transfer switch picks up the MH's generator, which is a good thing as it allowed me to cook dinner and charge the batteries for operation of the invertor overnight, but the 'shore power' contactor won't pick up. From the other posts in this string it appears that problems with the TRC switch/surge protectors are not unheard of... too bad. The coach is less than 6 months old - I am not looking forward to chasing down a warranty fix next week. Anyone else have experience with this device?
Old 01-11-2014, 08:19 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
TRC is a POJ to put it mildly. Normally I use a little stronger acronym.

Replace it with a Progressive Industries EMS unit for power protection and an ESCO Transfer switch.

Both could be purchased for a lot less than any TRC crap.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-11-2014, 08:25 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Why doe he have to buy anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsurfaceblow View Post
The RV park we are in experienced a power failure early this morning and when power was restored I remained 'in the dark' after all my neighbors were back on 'shore power'. The TRC transfer switch won't take shore power - both the park management and I have independently verified that the 30 amp pedestal connection has nominal voltage, is polarized correctly and grounded (it worked fine for several days before the outage). The transfer switch picks up the MH's generator, which is a good thing as it allowed me to cook dinner and charge the batteries for operation of the invertor overnight, but the 'shore power' contactor won't pick up. From the other posts in this string it appears that problems with the TRC switch/surge protectors are not unheard of... too bad. The coach is less than 6 months old - I am not looking forward to chasing down a warranty fix next week. Anyone else have experience with this device?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
TRC is a POJ to put it mildly. Normally I use a little stronger acronym.

Replace it with a Progressive Industries EMS unit for power protection and an ESCO Transfer switch.

Both could be purchased for a lot less than any TRC crap.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Should not be any need for the OP to spend any money.....Warranty work. but after the warranty runs out......
Old 01-12-2014, 08:39 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Yup, it should be covered under warranty, but that doesn't mean that it will do the job it was built and installed to do, to protect the coach from errant power conditions plus effectively transfer power between shore and generator.

If it were my coach, I would have a serious talk with the RV service company and demand that it be replaced with quality devices that REALLY work. Otherwise, I would gladly pay the extra money to have devices that DO work

If it fails again and the next time it takes out a bunch of electrical devices inside the coach, sure they will replace the TRC device once again BUT who gets to pay for the rest of the burned up stuff? Plus not to mention the aggravation and time to deal with it all.

Crap is crap, no two ways about it. Pay me now or pay me later.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-12-2014, 08:47 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
The OP would be banging his head on a wall, demanding that OEM equipment is changed out due to failure with another brand at their cost........In my opinion this is not going to happen, the Manufacture will replace while under warranty what was factory installed, I would be surprised if they would replace it with something different. Never hurts to ask though.......Good luck in your quest.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:30 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
I would expect that the best I can do under warranty is get another-one-just- like-the-other-one. The bigger cost is in the consequence and aggravation of the failure... no shore power is a real pain. Waiting for the OEM replacement is inconvenient at the least! If that replacement fails in a year (double the life of the original unit) my head will explode; it is frustrating enough to have power at the plug and not be able to use it because the contactor won't pull-up (in my younger days I would have jumpered the coil - still tempted, but know better). If the repair tech has a better device that he can put in promptly, probably money well spent (strong letter to Mfg. and Tiffin will follow). In the meantime apologies to my neighbors for the twice daily operation of the generator - I am getting a good lesson in the battery & invertor capacity. Thank you for the input!
Old 01-12-2014, 01:42 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by loulong View Post
Sarah, I would be more inclined to believe that what you are hearing is the result of a leveler leg settling. It will sound, and or feel, like someone pounded on the side of the MH.

A single thump from the T/X after it's been energized for a period of time is NOT normal in my experience.
Thanks, Lou...but I'm afraid it is the transfer switch. This is the same "thump" we get when first plugging in to shore power. Now I'm worried that ours is about to fail after reading these other posts. I don't know what brand/type it is, so I'll sift through my Fleetwood Owner's suitcase-o-manuals to see what's what.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:07 PM   #27

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
Last 2 days, I'm getting a machine gun like chattering in my TRC transfer switch. I have a PI EMS 50 hard wired before the transfer switch, and no fault codes. Just suddenly began to chatter....causing popping heat pump breakers now, as almost any load makes it chatter.
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:56 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Have you read this thread from the beginning?

If not, I suggest that you start at the beginning. You will find your answer as to what you should do to resolve your chattering problem.

Dr4Film ----- Richard