Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Automatic Transfer Switch Trouble

After about 5 camping trips my Automatic Transfer switch started thumping loud (relay make and break) when the pedistal 50A breaker was turned on. Sounds like a machine gun. No loads are on in the coach.

This has happened at two separate RV resorts. Visual on ATS wiring looks good and connectors are tight. Box is clean.

Using my 50A to 30A adapter and plugging into 30A shore power works fine.

When stored, I keep the coach plugged into 120VAC (20A) to keep the batteries charges and Res Refrig running. I usually leave my inverter turned on as well.

Any ideas here?

Works fine on generator.

Do not understand why all works well on 30A but not 50A.

I'm planning to replace the ATS but have not done so at present.

Coach 2013 Tiffin RED

Regards,
jhaig99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I don't know what your brand is...TRCi is a common one. When I had that condition, I was one step away from losing coach power. I fear a new transfer switch is in your future. Easy in and out from a mobile repair person...hope you're still under warrantee.

By the way...mine was thumping like that before it went out. If it was cause by shore power, then the issue made it through the Progressive EMS...doubtful that happened.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:46 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Before you replace it, check all of your neutral and ground bus wires in you main circuit breaker panel. With power removed, take the front cover of your circuit breaker panel off. There are 2 separate bus bars. One has all of the white wires attached and another one has all of the bare or green wires attached. Use a screwdriver and make sure all of the wires are tight. I do this annually on my MH, the vibration of driving can cause a wire to loosen.

Then I would take the cover off of the Transfer switch and make sure all of those wires are also tight and pull on them. I know you said they are tight, but did you pull on the wires too?

The machine gun sound -sounds like a loose connection. But it could be a relay that is going bad too.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:36 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Agree with checking although need to be careful with shock hazard....my experience was that the thumping was a relay going bad. That was the determination of the tech help desk as well. had to send it back after replacement. Never heard what the issue was.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:51 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I recommend replacing with an ESCO 50 AMP Model LPT50BRD

50 AMP 240 VAC Relay Based

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:55 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaig99 View Post
After about 5 camping trips my Automatic Transfer switch started thumping loud (relay make and break) when the pedistal 50A breaker was turned on. Sounds like a machine gun. No loads are on in the coach.

This has happened at two separate RV resorts. Visual on ATS wiring looks good and connectors are tight. Box is clean.

Using my 50A to 30A adapter and plugging into 30A shore power works fine.

When stored, I keep the coach plugged into 120VAC (20A) to keep the batteries charges and Res Refrig running. I usually leave my inverter turned on as well.

Any ideas here?

Works fine on generator.

Do not understand why all works well on 30A but not 50A.

I'm planning to replace the ATS but have not done so at present.

Coach 2013 Tiffin RED

Regards,
Sound to me like the coil on the contactor is getting weak and when this happens they will chatter. Someone else on here some time ago needed some parts for their transfer switch and was told that Lowes had what he needed, so look at your contactor for the shore power side of the switch and check all connections for corrosion and tightness, then look into the contactor for repair or replacement of the contactor. You Coach is a 2013, Is it not under warranty?
Old 12-28-2013, 11:52 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
You should have the Surge Guard transfer switch. Chattering means failure soon. Call Tiffin when they reopen after Jan 1 and they will ship a new one. They also may pay for the tech so ask for that since you are a 2013.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I recommend replacing with an ESCO 50 AMP Model LPT50BRD

50 AMP 240 VAC Relay Based

Dr4Film ----- Richard
That's a nice transfer switch! Really like the time delay to let the generator get settled in...
Old 12-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alilly View Post

That's a nice transfer switch! Really like the time delay to let the generator get settled in...
Another great feature is the Neutral micro-switch making sure that the Neutral is connected BEFORE the two HOT lines.

My coach came with one from the Monaco Factory and after 12 years of full-time use it is still performing like new plus it is super quiet.

That specific switch is the ONLY one I will ever recommend plus a lot less expensive than others.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 12-29-2013, 06:32 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
At the bottom of the specs in bold print it says "will not work with Winnebago energy mgmt unit". Wonder about using the Progressive Industries EMS that a lot of us have?
Old 12-29-2013, 07:13 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Is Bob Tiffin purchasing parts and supplies from Winnebago now?

I always thought Winnebago was in a class by them selves and that's why certain things won't work with their systems.

Does Tiffin do the same thing?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 12-29-2013, 12:17 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
The Tiffin supplied transfer switch is now a TRS Surge Guard which has some surge protection features built in but not enough to suit me. Progressive Industries hw50c is hard wired on mine. I was just wondering if the transfer switch you were recommending works with the progressive unit since it said won't work with Winnebago ems. Just curious since many of us Tiffin owners have the Progressive but would love to have a really solid transfer switch.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Where did the OP go?????? Warranty?????2013 model!!!!!
Old 12-30-2013, 09:50 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Well. I contacted TRS and they sent a warranty replacement ATS and I installed it yesterday. Will have to wait to test it on 50 amps but works on the 20 amp circuit in storage. I have asked TRS for feedback on what they found. Will post if I get it.
jhaig99 is offline   Reply With Quote