Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2014, 12:02 PM   #1

Aux batteries not charging

Hi Everyone,

I have been very fortunate and received some great information previously on these forums and I am hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction again.

I have an '04 FR Georgetown 359TS currently the auxiliary batteries do not charge at all. (When driving the MH, or when plugged into 110). I have power throughout the coach when the gen is running or when plugged in, but the batteries do not seem to be charging. Would anyone know what would cause this? Any advice on where to start? I did notice today that my "Aux start switch" 5A fuse was blown and will be replacing that today. Would that be the problem?

Also on a side note, the hot water heater seems to be kicking off and requiring the two reset buttons to be pushed. Might this be related to my problem as well? Anyone know what might cause that?

Everyone tips and advice is greatly appreciated! As a newb RV owner it is terrific to have a community like this to come for for help and questions!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2014, 12:18 PM   #2

It sounds like the batteries are not connected to the system. Could be the salesman switch, could be the solenoid/relay between the batteries and the rest of the system, could be a fuse/circuit breaker, could be a bad connection. Sounds like time to break out a voltmeter and start looking. The water heater problem could be related because it loses 12V when the system is not working.

FWIW I would probably start at the relay that connects the batteries to the system because it is probably easy to find. Just follow the big cable from the + terminal. Measure from ground to the big terminals and the voltage should be the same on both sides. If they are the same keep following the big wire. I might jump to the converter output with the thought that if that is bad I just skipped a bunch in the middle. It somewhat depends on access.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:57 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Does "auxiliary batteries" mean the house battery set? I ask only to be sure we are on the same wave length.

It sounds as though your house charging system (converter/charger or inverter/charger) isn't working. First make sure it is getting 120v power (whether from shore or generator) so it can function. If so, make sure it fuse(s) or circuit breaker aren't tripped. Also make sure the 12v battery disconnect switch is not shut off. If all OK there, it has probably failed and will need replacement. It's not an unusual component failure for a 10 year old coach.

The fuse on the Aux Start relay might prevent the chassis battery from charging from the house system, but would not affect the aux/house batteries.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:05 PM   #4

Hi Mark - I have been leaning towards the solenoid/relays since they are the originals and are looking a little dusty. I have made a rookie mistake and currently do not have a voltmeter (will be sure it is packed from here on out). As soon as I can get to one that will be the first thing I check.

Gary - I do mean the coach batteries. The converter was replaced by the original owner in 2010 and I do hear it kick on when it is first plugged in. But I have had a hunch that something may have burnt out the original leading to the replacement. Both fuses on that look to be intact on that.

Any idea on what it may cost to replace the solenoid?

Thanks agains guys. With all the help I am hoping to get the rig back to tip top shape!
Old 08-02-2014, 05:18 PM   #5

Carolina Campers
My RV has a breaker that is inside the house battery compartment, directly behind the house batteries, attached to the chassis frame. Not a fuse in the fuse box for the appliances. It should be connected to the battery cable.

This breaker has a little arm at the bottom of the breaker that flips down when that breaker trips. In my case I can not see the little bar because it is on the bottom edge of the breaker, but I can feel it with my finger. If that breaker is tripped, simply push the little bar back up until it clicks in place. That resets the breaker.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:47 PM   #6

Quick test is to touch the isolator relay. If it is not hot or warm, the batteries are not connected.

If the batteries are low, charge them first.

Do the batteries charge when running the genny or off the alternator?
Old 08-05-2014, 01:18 PM   #7

Hi Redapple- the batteries do not charge at all, generator 110 or alternator.

I'm going check the isolator and relay right now for warmth
Old 08-08-2014, 07:47 AM   #8

Hi Again Everyone,

I got the voltmeter out and tested the solenoid behind the batteries. When the engine is on, I am getting +12V from the chassis battery to the solenoid, but then 0V on the other side where it comes out to go to the Aux Batteries. I am assuming this is incorrect. Would this mean that the solenoid has gone bad?

Would anyone have any recommendations on which kind to go with to replace these? Also, there is another solenoid type deal mounted right above the first one mentioned that is also connected with the aux/coach batteries, should I replace this as well. Would anyone know what this one would be for? (110V Shore charging??) I'll snap a pic later today of the setup.

Thanks again everyone
Old 08-09-2014, 08:02 AM   #9

Assume you mean one of the big terminals has 12V the other does not.

Do not forget the coil has to be energized. One small terminal should have 12V and the other ground. Not sure whether they switch the 12 or Ground. If there is only one screw the coil is probably ground at the case but I have not seen that in a MH.

I have seen those relays set up. Before I changed it though I would make sure it is getting the signal to operate. If that is not there nothing will help anyway. ;-)
Old 08-09-2014, 10:41 AM   #10

Agree...you need to check the coil leads as nothemark has pointed out. Before you check anything out, you need to have good batteries. A low or bad battery breaks the whole system. Once you have known good batteries, check the coil leads for voltage. It doesn't matter which is which, one must have 12 volts and the other ground. If your chassis battery is low or dead, the isolator relay will read zero volts on the other side (meaning the batteries are isolated). The isolator relay will connect the two battery sets only when charging. In order to help better we really need to know which Battery Control Center you have. A picture would be helpful.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:01 AM   #11

Hi Everyone,

It has been a while since my last update. With everyone's help I was able to figure out where my troubles were. It ended up being my converter. The unit was only putting out ~3V. Have been looking to replace the unit, does anyone have any suggestions? The current one is a 55 amp output. Stick in those ranges?

Would there be any issues if I used a newer "Smart" battery charger in the meantime until a replacement arrives?

Thanks again for everyones help! can't stress enough how helpful everyone on these boards are
Old 09-08-2014, 10:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekrish View Post
Hi Everyone,

It has been a while since my last update. With everyone's help I was able to figure out where my troubles were. It ended up being my converter. The unit was only putting out ~3V. Have been looking to replace the unit, does anyone have any suggestions? The current one is a 55 amp output. Stick in those ranges?

Would there be any issues if I used a newer "Smart" battery charger in the meantime until a replacement arrives?

Thanks again for everyones help! can't stress enough how helpful everyone on these boards are
Good job on finding your problem.
I have this converter in my coach by the previous owner and it works very well. I have four 6V house batteries and my converter is an 80A. A call to the manufacture will be the way to go as far as what size you need and also the wiring requirements to install it which is very important to the life of the device.

PD9100 Series RV Power Converters from Progressive Dynamics

Tags
batteries, charging