Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #1

AUX Start light on ??

Today at home I noticed our aux start light was on. Now I know it is to tell you the chassis battery is low and it is using the coach battery to start the engine... A little history,, it is a 95 Europa on a P32 chassis, 350 chevy. I usually keep it plugged in to shore power in the garage,(which sometimes I use jumper cables to charge both batteries, but not recently) but we pulled it out today just to "picnic" in the back yard. I ran the engine maybe 45 minutes or more to let things warm up,,, all the time running the genny with ac on...
Now,,, with everything shut off, no shore power, both batteries disconnected, the Aux Start light is still on... Problem right ? Stuck solonoid ??? Ideas?? I Don't want something to overheat in the night ,,,,, Should I pull the battery cables till tomorrow so I can trace this down ??? Like I said, we are home,,, but suredon't want to lose our MH !!!

monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #2

Ok,, I was worried about leaving it overnight,, I went and unhooked the battery cable from the coach battery,, light still on,,,, then I unhooked the chassis battery cable,, and of course the light went out... I know the battery disconnect switches are working,,, but that aux start light was still on till I manually disconnected the chassis battery... Stuck solonoid ??????

Old 06-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #3

Guess I'm special !! Nobody else has seen this problem....
Old 06-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #4

could be one of 2 things.
1. bad dash switch
2. bad connection at the generator plug (electrical)

I had the same problem with my MH. Found to be a bad plug going into the genset.

Hope this helps
Old 06-29-2013, 05:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKDRAFT161 View Post
could be one of 2 things.
1. bad dash switch
2. bad connection at the generator plug (electrical)

I had the same problem with my MH. Found to be a bad plug going into the genset.

Hope this helps
Thanks So much !! I never thought it might be connected to the generator.... As an update, after I put it back in the garage with shore power hooked up and the jumper cables to connect both batteries,, the next morning the light was out again... Thanks again !
Old 06-29-2013, 11:42 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
Thanks So much !! I never thought it might be connected to the generator.... As an update, after I put it back in the garage with shore power hooked up and the jumper cables to connect both batteries,, the next morning the light was out again... Thanks again !
Something that kind of jumps out at me is the fact that you disconnected the battery cables overnight. Then the next day you hooked up the battery cables and the jumper cables to charge the batteries which you left hooked up overnight and the light was out the next day. I am wondering if everything is working correctly and the batteries were actually dead. I have seen lots of cars over the years that were started and driven somewhere. When the owner shut it off then later got back in to start and go home the battery was dead and it would not start. Sometimes this occured because there was corrosion on the battery cable that did not let the charging current through to the post to charge the battery. It sounds like that might be what happened to you. I would take all of my cables off get a wire brush and clean the connections really well then put them back on. When you took the cable off because you were worried about the light you might have cleaned the corrosion enough for the batteries to charge when you put the cables back on. If that is the case you will have the problem again fairly soon. Cleaning the cables and battery posts very well will help prevent it from happening again in the near future.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
Something that kind of jumps out at me is the fact that you disconnected the battery cables overnight. Then the next day you hooked up the battery cables and the jumper cables to charge the batteries which you left hooked up overnight and the light was out the next day. I am wondering if everything is working correctly and the batteries were actually dead. I have seen lots of cars over the years that were started and driven somewhere. When the owner shut it off then later got back in to start and go home the battery was dead and it would not start. Sometimes this occured because there was corrosion on the battery cable that did not let the charging current through to the post to charge the battery. It sounds like that might be what happened to you. I would take all of my cables off get a wire brush and clean the connections really well then put them back on. When you took the cable off because you were worried about the light you might have cleaned the corrosion enough for the batteries to charge when you put the cables back on. If that is the case you will have the problem again fairly soon. Cleaning the cables and battery posts very well will help prevent it from happening again in the near future.
Thanks very much... I have been quite meticulous about cleaning cable connections after learning so much on this forum. Even cleaning engine to frame ground straps that are almost impossible to get to. I use the radio in the garage, so I believe the chassis battery was indeed run low. (not dead). But low enough to activate the aux start system. (nice to know it works !!)
To be more specific, the "aux start light" was on when I parked it and plugged it in, including jumper cables to charge the chassis battery. The next morning the light was out. Maybe because the battery voltages equalized with each other ???