Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2012, 05:49 PM   #1

Auxiliary Battery

I Have a 2012 Thor Daybreak,30fs. My manual says I have Dual auxiliary 6 volt batteries of the golf cart variety and capable of being deeply discharged, with a large reserve rating and are able to provide limited use for several days before needing to be recharged. My problem is when I checked this battery out it is a single 12 volt battery. My question is does anyone else have a similar model RV and what type of aux. batteries do you have. Did I get ripped of or is this type of battery normal now? There is room in the battery box for more batteries.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #2

Are you sure you're not looking at the chassis (starting) battery? And the house batteries, which are normally 2X 6V, are in a different compartment?

If you're sure you're in the right compartment...I've heard several times over the years that RV dealers workers will sometimes do a pull from one rig to get someone else off the lot...and the guy that had to replace it might not have been on the ball, as we say. If it was a new guy, he might not even have known that there were suppose to be two 6V put back in.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:21 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
NO...wait...really? There's a single 12 Volt battery for the house?

You are NOT looking at the chassis battery are you (usually very near the engine)?

The mfgt's website says the house batteries are under the entrystep like many including mine.
2013 Daybreak Motorhomes: A RV by Thor Motor Coach

If that's where you are looking and there's only 1 - 12V battery there, you've been scammed.

You will need to get the correct batteries and the cross-over cable that would not be used for a single battery!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:43 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I would say you got ripped off. If the manual says that for your 2012, that's what you should have. 2 6v GC batteries far exceeds one 12v in every way. Just hope you're looking in the right place.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:04 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree, Find the other (Chassis) battery, make sure you are not looking at the chassis battery.

My INteruder has a nice pair of Interstate U-2200 which are GC-2 type. Does not run the hosue for days though, But will over night. INcluding the inverter.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:25 PM   #6

Thanks guys, yes the one I am talking is under the steps and it is a single battery. The chassis battery is at the front and yes it is the 12 volt starting battery. To be fair the manual does say that some things may be different on the unit than in the manual, but I am beginning to think someone did a swap, I quests I will have to contact Thor to see what they say as I only purchased the unit 3 weeks ago, brand new.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:01 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I would bet someone at the dealer swapped the batteries to get an earlier customer out the door. They threw that 12v in there to demo it and forgot about it. No way should a new coach like that come from the factory with a single 12v. A call to the dealer should get you fixed up. Then I would call Thor if you get the runaround. Keep us posted.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:44 AM   #8

Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #9

Knee Jerk reactions here IMHO! I saw no identification of the battery installed. No explanation of the type or size.

It just may be a fact that there was some intent to deceive, but maybe just the opposite! Without facts, accusations are meaningless.

The dealers response to an inquiry (complaint) is needed prior to condemnation.

Ed
Old 07-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I might add, there is a 12 volt battery (Size 8-D) that is every bit as good as a pair of GC-2's Kind of big and heavy, but it is the equal to a pair of six volt in capacity and ability.

NOTE: about those six volt batteries.. If you have one pair, think of the two of them as though they were a single 12 volt battery, becaused once installed that is just what they are.. If you have 2 or more pair, that applies to each pair.

Man times we see questions like Can I replace just one?

Can you replace just 1/2 of a 12 volt battery? Same answer

And so on for the other questions folks ask..
Old 07-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I've never had a thor product but....

My fleetwood and my current monaco could/can be tracked by the factory by either the coach number or the vin.

Calling the factory with either or these numbers, they can tell you how your coach was built.

If the dealer yoinked your batteries, you will then know, and can vo back to him screaming and frothing at the mouth.

And if not, you can upgrade to a pair of 6v golfcart batteries when the need arises.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #12

Thanks again everyone, I did call Thor with my VIN and they said that my machine came with just the one 12 volt battery for the aux system. Hopefully I will always have shore power or my Gen set.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinr View Post
Thanks again everyone, I did call Thor with my VIN and they said that my machine came with just the one 12 volt battery for the aux system. Hopefully I will always have shore power or my Gen set.
This is an example of "things that make me say, hmmm."

May be a cost savings by the mfgt...or the dealer was supposed to ask - if you wanted to get the dual battery set-up (my last travel trailer was delivered with 1 big 12volt and the dealer offered to do the upgrade).

The single battery will suffice if you don't put too much time/load on it. The biggest/longest load for the house battery is often running the furnace all night.

But FYI, I just replaced the fat 6 volt batteries in my coach - $89 each at Costco. Not too bad.

But to have the 2-6volt set-up, does the rack and hold down look like it would fit to change/upgrade to the 2 batteries?

Best of luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:17 AM   #14

This just may be a win, win situation. If the rig came with a larger, better (in whose eyes?) system, the new owner may feel it necessary, because of the cost of the system, to keep it, even though he has some other arrangement in mind.

Because that one 12 volt is probably a "marine battery", it can be taken out and used elsewhere, and the aux battery bank that's really desired/necessary, fitting the kind of RV'ing that will be done can be completed without regret of having to dispose of some good, or nearly good battery's that have some worth. Win/Win.

I personally, have an 8 battery bank (6 volt), with heavy cables, cross wired, and with a desulfinator attached, wired in a 24 volt arrangement but drawing some 12 volt use from a center tap, and utilizing a vanner equalizer to balance the two halves, and charged with a 1200 watt solar array, and would take nothing less.

To each their own!

Ed