Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2015, 12:01 PM   #15
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We have used the oil-filled heaters in the S&B, but they're too large for the MH. They pull the same amount of current as the ceramic heaters, but once the oil heats up it will continue to put out heat with the heating elements set low to only come on intermittently, not a constant current draw. For it to be effective you need to keep it on low all the time, not turn it on and off as you would a ceramic heater.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2015, 12:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronboatplane View Post
As an electrical engineer i would like to explain that all resistance heaters produce the same amount of heat per Watt consumed. There is a lot of misinformation on the subject. A recent national ad on TV incorrectly claimed efficiencies not supported by science. 1500 Watt heaters are common and all produce the same amount of heat.
ronboatplane

I agree.

Simply stated the only difference in the amount of heat produced by a $20.00 1500 watt electric space heater and a $250.00 1500 watt electric space heater is $220.00.

Mel
'96 Safari

Old 12-29-2015, 12:55 PM   #17

I use the oil filled, which I got from Wally World for about $29, and it does the job. I use it for keeping the coach temp from freezing in the winter, and it's done the job the last 3years.

2008 Holiday Rambler PDQ Ambassador 360 ISC
2015 Jeep Rubicon
Blue Ox tow Patriot brake
Old 12-29-2015, 01:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
ronboatplane

I agree.

Simply stated the only difference in the amount of heat produced by a $20.00 1500 watt electric space heater and a $250.00 1500 watt electric space heater is $220.00.

Mel
'96 Safari
Where does the other $10 go to?
Old 12-29-2015, 01:28 PM   #19

We use a Vornado AVH4 Whole Room Vortex Heater and love it. It is almost completely silent as it spreads the heat evenly throughout the front of the coach. It was one of the top rated heaters in Consumers Reports Magazine.

We also have 2 heat pumps on the roof, but but much prefer the Vorando to the heat pumps because of the lack of any noise and the better heat flow.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
Where does the other $10 go to?
I guess I saved $10 more than I thought
Mel
Old 12-29-2015, 02:31 PM   #21

Most heaters have two wattage settings.....use the setting which produces less than 1000 watts and then you don't over stress the plugs, receptical or the wiring. 1500 watts causes the plugs and wiring to get hot in many cases.

The oil filled electric radiators can be run on a 600 watt setting. Get two. That way the transfer switch contacts, etc, feel no stress at all.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:30 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We have two Lasko towers that we use...thus saving our own fuel when in a CG.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:51 PM   #23

I only use heaters with a mechanical power switch. Digital controlled heaters will not automatically return to ON following a temporary power failure.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:26 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronboatplane View Post
As an electrical engineer i would like to explain that all resistance heaters produce the same amount of heat per Watt consumed. There is a lot of misinformation on the subject. A recent national ad on TV incorrectly claimed efficiencies not supported by science. 1500 Watt heaters are common and all produce the same amount of heat.
OK, geek mode on:

What is most important is your skin temperature. The power density (W/m^2) is what is the appropriate parameter. So if you have a heater with a reflector it provides roughly twice the heating in half the volume (Antenna Gain). The most effective heating would be energy that just heats you up, not the air around you.

Microwave heating systems have been proposed for a lot of years for large spaces because they heat the air very little, but heat your skin quite a bit. Of course, there has to be a market, in other words, the users have to find the device acceptable.

Geek mode off.

I will am looking for a small oil filled heater because the mass of the oil provides some heat capacitance (as MSHappyCamper said) that will continue to heat when the power is off.

I love this forum
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 01:20 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyhp View Post
I will am looking for a small oil filled heater because the mass of the oil provides some heat capacitance (as MSHappyCamper said) that will continue to heat when the power is off.
I love this forum
montyhp
There are advantages and disadvantages to oil filled heaters.
However a shorter run time is not one of the advantages.

Although It's true that oil filled heaters continue to heat for a period of time AFTER the power is turned OFF...it is also true that the power to an oil filled heater must be ON for an equal amount of time BEFORE they provide heat equal to the heat provided by any other type of electric heater with the same same watt input.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 12-30-2015, 05:17 PM   #26

With these cold temps I've been using up the propane in around 8-10 days 😩 Thinking of putting in a Dickinson Marine Diesel furnace. Really efficient and I think it would look real cool on the wall... Almost like a real fireplace 😜👍🏻👍🏻

1996 Country Coach Intrigue 😜
Old 12-30-2015, 08:49 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
montyhp
There are advantages and disadvantages to oil filled heaters.
However a shorter run time is not one of the advantages.

Although It's true that oil filled heaters continue to heat for a period of time AFTER the power is turned OFF...it is also true that the power to an oil filled heater must be ON for an equal amount of time BEFORE they provide heat equal to the heat provided by any other type of electric heater with the same same watt input.

Mel
'96 Safari
Thanks, Mel. Something to think about (hey, it is finally in the 30s in south Texas, but winter may be over before I get the rig out of the body shop).
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:00 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBilly View Post
With these cold temps I've been using up the propane in around 8-10 days 😩 Thinking of putting in a Dickinson Marine Diesel furnace. Really efficient and I think it would look real cool on the wall... Almost like a real fireplace 😜👍🏻👍🏻
1996 Country Coach Intrigue 😜
UncleBilly
How many gallons of propane does your tank hold?
Wondering because our propane lasts 4-6 weeks in cold weather.
(We use propane for hot water, cooking and heat when on shore power... plus we operate the fridge on LP when traveling and overnighting with no shore power and when boondocking/drycamping).
Mel
'96 Safari

Tags
heat, heating