Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2012, 09:19 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Auxiliary LP Gas Line

In the bay of 09 Safari Cheetah there is a gas line. The line is black pipe and runs from the propane tank. There is a globe valve at the end of the hard line. From the valve on there is a 10 or 12' run of flexible tubing with quick disconnects on each end. I assume this is used to connect to a grill, heater, etc...

Questions;
1) Is my assumption of it's intended use correct?

2) Would this connection be HP or LP?

3) I would like to use it for a grill.
....a) Can I hook it directly to a portable gas grill via the quick disconnect?
....b) Will it need a regulator in-line before the grill?
....c) I've read about different propane appliances requiring different flow rates,
I assume the regulator that comes with the grill will have the correct flow
rate for the grill. How do I know if my supply line will supply the proper
pressure/flow rate to the grill's regulator?

4) Is there anything else I need to know?

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
In the bay of 09 Safari Cheetah there is a gas line. The line is black pipe and runs from the propane tank. There is a globe valve at the end of the hard line. From the valve on there is a 10 or 12' run of flexible tubing with quick disconnects on each end. On both ends????
I assume this is used to connect to a grill, heater, etc...

Questions;
1) Is my assumption of it's intended use correct?
Maybe and probably but I'm doing some assuming since you say that after the valve is the flex with the quick discos on "each end".

2) Would this connection be HP or LP? When talking about propane LP means Liquefied Petroleum. In the context of your question I'm guessing that you mean High Pressure or Low Pressure. If my assumption is correct then the answer depends on where the line connects on the supply end. If it connects downstream from the tank regulator then it will be (or should be) at 11" w.c. which would be correct for a propane fired grill.

3) I would like to use it for a grill.
....a) Can I hook it directly to a portable gas grill via the quick disconnect? see #2
....b) Will it need a regulator in-line before the grill? See #2
....c) I've read about different propane appliances requiring different flow rates,
I assume the regulator that comes with the grill will have the correct flow
rate for the grill. How do I know if my supply line will supply the proper
pressure/flow rate to the grill's regulator? Operating pressure on your portable grill would be 11" w.c. which should also be the pressure supplied by the regulator at the tank. So, if your described piping is connected to the outlet of the regulator then the pressure will be correct. To be sure you would need to test it with a manometer.

4) Is there anything else I need to know?
Let's get the above questions answered first.

KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:19 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
KIX thanks for the response.

It is feed by the regulator (assumption as there is only one distribution line form the tank and it is feed by the regulator, this is the same line which feeds the rest of the coach, stove, furnace, WH and refer). After thinking about the answer to this I feel a bit stupid. Should have looked at how the line was supplied, duh.

You are correct, I did mean Low or High pressure with the use of LP/HP.

I have attached pictures of the fitting and hose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0082.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	399.3 KB
ID:	16768   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0084.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	507.4 KB
ID:	16769  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0085.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	401.8 KB
ID:	16770  
Old 01-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, that is a low prssure line because it's fed after the regulator. The quick disconnects were undoubtedly added later to make it easy to connect to a gas grill or similar device. The shutoff petcock is a good idea because a leaky coupler could allow propane to build up in the compartment when not in use.

Most gas grills come with regulators to accept high pressure propane from a portable tank or disposable bottle. Generally, a high pressure tee is tapped into prior to the LP tank's regulator and a hose is run to the grill and has the same thread as the smal disposable bottles. To use a system such as what you have it would be best to remove the regulator from the grill and replace it with a quick coupling that matches your hose. However, that prevents being able to use your grill on a portable tank or disposable bottle unless you reinstall the regulator so that is one downside to consider before doing that.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #5
KIX

Yep, what Cruzer said
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:47 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks KIX and Cruzer. Really appreciate the replies.

Tags
gas