RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2018, 03:12 PM   #1

Auxiliary voltage drops to 4.0 V

When I first get in RV I turn on A/C. At that point Aux voltage is 12.xx v. If I then turn on one coach 12vdc Light, the aux drops to 4.x v and the A/C and refrigerator turn off.

If I start my Diesel engine, everything works fine, including turning on 8 12 v lights.

I called support for Xantrex Freedom 458 and he said the Xantrex has no effect Aux.

Any ideas?

wboudx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2018, 03:25 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I'd suggest putting on load tester on the house battery(s), I think you'll find a bad battery there.

Old 10-16-2018, 03:29 PM   #3

Auxiliary voltage drops to 4.0 v

Donít know what aux voltage is. You have batteries for starting/ chassis and you have batteries for the coach/house. Lights and fridge run off of house batteries is the MH plugged in? Sounds like you need new or charge batteries to full charge.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
I'd suggest putting on load tester on the house battery(s), I think you'll find a bad battery there.

Thanks, I will try that this weekend.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Donít know what aux voltage is. You have batteries for starting/ chassis and you have batteries for the coach/house. Lights and fridge run off of house batteries is the MH plugged in? Sounds like you need new or charge batteries to full charge.

The distribution panel shows 1. Chassis 2. Auxiliary 3. Generator.
The control panel inside RV has a push button to show Main battery voltage and another push button for Auxiliary battery voltage. When everything is working, Main is 12.xx v and Aux is 12.xx v. When 12v drops in coach/house, the Main is still 12.xx v. The Aux drops to 4.xx v and all the coach/house 12 v devices turn off.
I just replaced the chassis batteryís last week (problem started before this. I also replaced all 4 6 v coach/house batteries about 6 months ago.

Thanks for reply.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:13 PM   #6

AUX are what most of us call the Coach Batteries. Looks to me that one or more of your AUX batteries has an internal short. Either they needed water or your charger failed.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:26 PM   #7

Take your house batteries to a shop, and have them load tested. Im x2 on the pooched house batteries.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:21 PM   #8

That, or you have a poor ground in the 12 DC system somewhere.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:02 PM   #9

Thanks for all the input.

I did a load test on all 4 coach batteries and found one to have a bad cell.

I also think I found a bad connection on that batteries positive (+) terminal. I have 3 cables coming to that terminal and when I cleaned and reconnected those cables it cleared the problem. Everything worked ok for the rest of the week end.

All four batteries are the same age. Should I replace just the battery with the bad cell (bad by a 1/16 inch on gauge). Or should I try Equilize on all four?
Old 10-29-2018, 07:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmanbaker View Post
That, or you have a poor ground in the 12 DC system somewhere.

X2 on a bad (high resistance) connection. Could be either positive or negative. When there is no load on the circuit it to voltage is good. As soon as you draw current the high resistance connection creates a voltage drop. Start with measuring the voltage at the coach battery with no load and then with a load. If the battery voltage only goes down a little with the load it, its a bad connection. Measure at the battery post not the cable. If the voltage at the post only drops a little clean all the connections at the battery and see if it improves.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wboudx View Post
When I first get in RV I turn on A/C. At that point Aux voltage is 12.xx v. If I then turn on one coach 12vdc Light, the aux drops to 4.x v and the A/C and refrigerator turn off.

If I start my Diesel engine, everything works fine, including turning on 8 12 v lights.

I called support for Xantrex Freedom 458 and he said the Xantrex has no effect Aux.

Any ideas?
There is no aux voltage. You have 2 voltage systems. one 120 volt and one 12 volt. 12 volt is mostly reserved for lighting, off gride water pump, the control voltage for WH, Fridge. Furnace.