Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2011, 10:56 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
AVG Speed vs. Tire Failure

In the process of shopping for a new set of tires, I started wondering if I could get a guestimated avg speed driven vs. tire failure report from those of you that have had blowouts, tread separations, etc. This isn't supposed to be a really accurate or scientific study, just a gathering for myself and others that maybe could extrapolate some kind of conclusion. We all know speed affects a tires reliability, but how much speed, over what time period and distance?

free2wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2011, 11:08 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Dick,
We recently started to record tire failures and keep a record of those failures in the Tire Failure Record sticky. You might go there and read thru the several records that have been recorded.

RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:09 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First tire was a broken belt starting seperation at about 45mph on a sky overpass outside dallas tx. BLOW out was at 65 mph on flat road about 2 hour later both were front tires. Had driven about 900 miles into trip tires were about 7 yrs old no signs of cracking good tread depth. Coming home new to me RV Rht rear outside dually when flat tire was probally around 9 yrs old based on the others I had changed. It was good tread not cracking.
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:34 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
Hi Dick,
We recently started to record tire failures and keep a record of those failures in the Tire Failure Record sticky. You might go there and read thru the several records that have been recorded.
That is a fantastic idea. Shoulda thought of that meself! (lol)

Thanx - I'll go there!
Old 06-23-2011, 02:14 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

You don't have to have cracking on a tire to have it damaged from heat or impact.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:18 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Never having had a tire failure on an RV I'll stay out of this other than to read the replies!!

Yes, I'm anal about tire care and replacement!!

In 2004 I drove from the west coast to IN. Got in with three trucks and ran 85-90mph for hours at a time, no problems for the MH nor the Jeep. And I had trucks passing me!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:22 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Trust me a front blow out puts a whole new perspective on tire CARE.
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:41 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

One thing that you have to do on a regular basis is look on the inside sidewall of your tires for bulges that are created by hitting potholes or other objects or damage indicating the cords have broken. The bulge is a week spot created in the sidewall from high impact and when the bulge blows it is fast going to go downhill. You should also check the outside sidewalls. I lay under my MH with a flashlight and check them on a regular basis. When the bulge blows there will be no prior warning on the TPMS. You also have to keep a sharp eye out for damage to the side casing that will result in a a zipper flat later on. These zipper rip or flat are what cause the most damge on a MH. A healthly tire will not just have a zipper flat. Something causes the damage to the tire that results in a zipper flat.

This is out of the Michelin RV Handbook
FATIGUE RUPTURE
This type of damage is sometimes called a “zipper rip”
because of the zipper-like effect it creates in the steel
casing cords of the damaged tire. When a casing cord is
damaged or repeatedly and excessively bent due to overload
and/or underinflation, it will eventually break and
subject the cords on either side to even more stress. When
enough strength has been lost due to additional cord
breakage, a rupture occurs and can progress rapidly along
the path of least resistance in the upper sidewall. This can
happen hours, days, or even months after the initial
damage event when all evidence or memory of the initial
damage or overload/underinflation is gone.

Casing cords in the MICHELIN
truck tires used on
motorhomes are very strong twisted steel cables. Extreme

over-deflection of a tire, that can occur during improper
blocking of tires or high energy impacts, may weaken the
structure of the cable so as to make it less tolerant of the
repeated bending stress encountered in normal use. If in
addition, the integrity of the steel cords is degraded by
corrosion from moisture reaching the cords through cuts
or tears in the rubber, their tolerance of these conditions
will be even further reduced. This corrosion may result
from mounting damage, foreign objects left inside the
tire, road hazards, tire mishandling, or even improper

repair of a nail hole.

Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:29 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
We all know speed affects a tires reliability, but how much speed, over what time period and distance?
We do???

Within reasonable limits, I don't believe that speed has any effect at all. For a tire rated for 75 mph (most RV tires), there is no effect on reliability whether it is run at 45 or 65 mph, for example.

What does affect tire life is excessive heat. That's why a tire fails from under-inflation - too much heat builds up and the tread separates from the carcass or a sidewall ruptures.

Another source of failures is internal ruptures form hitting nasty potholes or curbs. The tire may not fail til sometime later, at some arbitrary speed, but the damage occurred from hitting something. Sidewalls are prone to this sort of damage.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:50 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
One Michelin XRV zipper blow out left rear inside tire(4 Years 8 month old) on 2 lane road with speed around 52-55 MPG.

2nd Michelin XRV zipper blow(6 Years 1 Month old) on right front tire.
On Interstate at around 60-62 MPH

Replaced all Michelin XRV at 6 Years 9 Months old with Good Year G670's.
G670's now 6 Years 2 months old, no blow outs or cracks.
Going for 10 years with them unless blow outs start to happen sooner.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:37 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
One Michelin XRV zipper blow out left rear inside tire(4 Years 8 month old) on 2 lane road with speed around 52-55 MPG.

2nd Michelin XRV zipper blow(6 Years 1 Month old) on right front tire.
On Interstate at around 60-62 MPH

Replaced all Michelin XRV at 6 Years 9 Months old with Good Year G670's.
G670's now 6 Years 2 months old, no blow outs or cracks.
Going for 10 years with them unless blow outs start to happen sooner.
I'm afraid with what I've now read, driving with tires 8-10 years old would create a crease in the middle of my nice comfortable drivers seat. I once came on a recent accident where a blowout had taken out 14 of the side of the motor home from slinging tire tread. on top of that one of the holding tanks was ripped apart and the toad was all banged up from rolling through the debris. I'd rather set up a kitty and put up $50 or $60 a month toward a new set and just consider it one of the prices for freedom!
Old 06-27-2011, 04:40 PM   #12

I had a heck of a blow out last week. I don't know the age of the tire but, was told by the seller that it was about five years old. There was no cracking or signs of weakness on the tire. It was a 17.50R16, "D" rated, and it was the left, inside rear tire. I had checked my tire pressures before leaving. We were about 40 miles from home when it went. It exploded ripping from bead to bead and losing the tread. When it went it blew out the wheel well, damaged the bathroom floor and put a heck of a dent in the compartment where the sewer drain is located. My wife just about croaked.

We were near a tire store. They sold me a set of 235 85 R16s. They ride great but, the rear duals are too close together creating another future issue. I have to decide if I'm going to install 1/4 spacers in the dual wheels or go back to the tire store for different tires. As I sit here I intend to add the spacers because I like these "E" rated tires.

I can't state more emphatically the importance of having trustworthy tires on a motorhome.

BTW: We were going about 60mph when the tire blew, on an 8 lane highway at 5pm rush hour. Very dangerous. When I pulled over cars were zipping by, inches away, at 70mph. We had Good Sam roadside assistance. I called them but, didn't need the tow truck. I will never go out in the RV without roadside assistance. It's cheap compared to being broke down without it. We were frazzled sitting there, my wife having palpitations, cars blowing by like race cars. The guy at Good Sam suggested that I needed to find a safer place to be. Even though we didn't need the tow truck I am still grateful to have an emergency plan. We eased up a ramp and away from the danger of the interstate, limping on one rear tire on the left side.

I paid $1,500.00 bucks for 7 new tires. It seemed very reasonable after what we had just been through.

I thought that the tire we had were go enough. Obviously they weren't. The fronts were two years old. The outside backs were about three and the inside backs were about five. All D rated. The spare, which I kept properly inflated but, never paid much attention too, was the original. It was a hazard looking for a road to explode on. Lesson learned, saving a few bucks to break down in the middle of now where or in the middle of a crowded interstate is careless, and dangerous.

We rolled in yesterday from Wilmington NC on I-40 West. There were a few RV's broke down on the side of the road. Looked like most were tire issues. I'll bet they all wished they had paid more attention to the tires before leaving the house.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:08 AM   #13

I will not buy Michelin tires. In fact, I had all of them removed after my second blow-out that took out the right side of the bed on my `97 Ram CTD. Janet Stevens (CR) Michelin said the tire was "Run Flat". A tire that is run flat does not go ka-boom like both these did. She sent me pages of pictures and text explaining tire failure. My claim was denied. The second time it happened, I had an independent company evaluate the tire. They said it was tire failure. Michelin paid my $1000 deductible. Do not trust Michelin. As always, YMMV.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote