Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #1

Smile Avoiding/Eliminating Mice in the MH How To?

Hi

Last year we had a real mice problem in southern VT

As the winter is approaching, what would the experienced users here recommend on how to avoid mice in the motorhome. It would spend some time outside then stored

Thanks,

Ted
foretravel36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2013, 11:17 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I store in a private commercial storage space outside and have for ten years. I have never seen any evidence of even a mouse in our rig in that time. We store for many months at a time.

The only preventative measure I use is a good thorough cleaning inside and out and the removal of anything with an odor which might attract rodents of any stripe. It takes me a few days. I clean shelves and drawers, everything out of the basement a good cleaning there, restroom, closets and pull drawers and vacuum behind. I clean the portable BBQ and anything else, no deodorant,tooth paste, soap etc left in the rig.

The storage place may have some kind of abatement program but I am not sure. However there is nothing so ubiquitous as a mouse.

Conditions vary and mice are more prevalent in some places than others. I have heard of folks leaving dryer sheets around and they speak of good results.

A great big Bull Snake would be welcome in my rig any time, seriously.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #3

I've heard that putting moth balls on the top of each tire ( since that's how they get in the coach) works, We tried it one year when we stored a rig at an inside storage facility in the country no mice in the coach but we did trap some in the storage unit
Old 08-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
I have tried moth balls, Irish Spring soap, dryer sheets, mouse traps and cheese.....NOTHING worked.

Last year I pet two of these in, one in the coach on the floor and one in the basement (my basement is all one space) and I have had ZERO mice since then. We camp alot with another couple and they had mice problems as well. They put in the same machines and have had ZERO mice since then....it's up to you, but this is what we use.
Amazon.com : Black & Decker EP1100-A Ultrasonic Pest Repeller, Black : Patio, Lawn & Garden
Old 08-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #5

We tried the ultra-sonic and they failed miserably. We store in an attached garage and trapping is the best way I know. Many people have had good results with a five gallon bucket trap using anti-freeze.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The only thing I have found over the years of storing coach winter months was the old fashion wire spring mouse trap baited with peanut butter.
Place them in electric compartment,Gen,rear of fridge floor,engine compartment, under kitchen draws, furnace area and random compartments.
One year had 12 trapped and now move to new house and our Siamese cat does a good job of cutting down the total.
We had tried all the other methods, but traps beat them all.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:32 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
d-Con has worked for me along with Rat Zapper and a little of TomCat
Put them in the outside compartments and never have had any show up inside the MH.

Last winter I keep losing the bait every night and had to replace it every day.
The Rat Zapper finally got it. A Pack Rat. After that the bait lasted a lot longer before refills needed.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I use "fresh Cab" in the basement, available on ebay. I also use dryer sheets in the drawers in the coach. This has worked for us for many years. I use this year around.
kewag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #9

+ 1 for fresh cab. Also found at Tractor Supply.
Selah2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our MH is stored in our garage. In the fall when we winterize we make sure there is no available food or moisture for anything to feed on. In 20 years we have never had a problem with Mice or anything else.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #11

We use bounce dryer sheets in ours. Never a sign of mice. I don't know if the bounce works, but no mice so far
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:06 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
They despise the smell of mint. I put Peppermint Tea bags at every point of entry and one per basement storage. I refresh them with a few drops of peppermint oil to keep them fresh when we will be exposed to the little critters. No entries since starting this 3 years ago.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:18 PM   #13

American Coach Owners Club
OK all, we have given our recommendations but we ALL failed to really read the heading and therefore have ALL given very bad advice.....Go back and RE-READ the heading it says "AVOIDING Eliminating mice in the MH".

With that, here is my best advice on how to AVOID the Elimination of mce in the MH. Keep all cabinets closed so it is dark, open several packages of cookies, leave boxes of cereal open and laying around and smear peanut butter on various surfaces....By doing most of these you are sure to AVOID the elimintaion of mice in your MH.

We all need to be a little better at reading the real question......LOL :-)
Old 08-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrchips View Post
OK all, we have given our recommendations but we ALL failed to really read the heading and therefore have ALL given very bad advice.....Go back and RE-READ the heading it says "AVOIDING Eliminating mice in the MH".

With that, here is my best advice on how to AVOID the Elimination of mce in the MH. Keep all cabinets closed so it is dark, open several packages of cookies, leave boxes of cereal open and laying around and smear peanut butter on various surfaces....By doing most of these you are sure to AVOID the elimintaion of mice in your MH.

We all need to be a little better at reading the real question......LOL :-)
You had too much coffee today Master Chief.... Too funny!
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote