Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2019, 07:47 PM   #1

Awning - First Time

We bought a used Winnebago Adventurer 37F in January 2017. Due to our jobs and other responsibilities we really haven't used it as much as we would have liked. During the few times we used the coach, we did not extend the awning and are planning a five day trip next month during which we might want to use the awning. What precautions should we take before unfurling the awning considering it may have not be actuated in more than three years. Thanks in advance.
Spadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2019, 08:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spadman View Post
What precautions should we take before unfurling the awning considering it may have not be actuated in more than three years. Thanks in advance.
No precautions, no issues. Just push the button and extend it. Now if bad weather starts to occur or high winds start to kick up afterwards, crank it in.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 08:17 PM   #3

Posted to the wrong thread...

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:23 PM   #4

Awning Extension

Thanks for the reply.

Since the coach is a 2013 model, I don't know how long it has been, if ever, since the awning was extended. Is there any chance the fabric could have stuck together and will tear when I try to extend it?
Old 09-15-2019, 03:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

Since the coach is a 2013 model, I don't know how long it has been, if ever, since the awning was extended. Is there any chance the fabric could have stuck together and will tear when I try to extend it?
Will probably be fine. In 15 years of reading posts on the 3 main RV'ing forums, I've never heard of the awning fabric tearing after sitting for a couple years. Don't think it's an issue. Especially if the awning has a cover (many don't as it's an option for manual operated awnings - but electric type awnings will always have one I believe).

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:11 PM   #6

Quote:
We bought a used Winnebago Adventurer 37F in January 2017. Due to our jobs and other responsibilities we really haven't used it as much as we would have liked. During the few times we used the coach, we did not extend the awning and are planning a five day trip next month during which we might want to use the awning. What precautions should we take before unfurling the awning considering it may have not be actuated in more than three years. Thanks in advance.
You've been given some great advice. About the only thing I might add here is, if it were me, and I'd not used the awning yet, I don't know where you store the coach but, if it's at your home, I'd simply move the coach out to a position where, you can deploy that awning, right at home. This way, if there's ANYTHING that MIGHT go wrong or, you develop some sort of issue, you're right at home and might be able to quickly correct the issue.

But, if you wait to deploy it at your first campground stop, and have any form of an issue, you're gonna have to try and fix it away from home or, pay someone to come and repair the issue, should you have one. Just a thought.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 05:57 AM   #7

Also never leave your rv with the awning out you never know when a storm will form. I have seen 10-20 awnings torn off campers over the years ( Florida ).
Daverene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

I have never had an awning stick and tear. This fabric is quite tough even after sitting opened in the sunlight for extended periods.
It might be helpful if you had a friend who is familiar with awnings come by and go through the deploying and retracting procedures.
Open the awning up. If it's no good at least you will know it and be able to plan a replacement. Otherwise you will know the awning is fine and you can use it.
Lynn
Old 09-16-2019, 08:40 AM   #9

If it has been sitting out in the sun all of that time, my advice would be to closely inspect the first few inches of the material closest to where it is attached to the side of the coach, and would be exposed to the sun when the awning is in the stowed position. The sun had rotted ours in 3 years time, enough that you could see daylight through it the entire width of the awning.
I had the awning replaced with better material and a cover just a few months ago.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:57 AM   #10

Motorhome Awning

Since I have owned the coach, it has been stored in covered storage when not in use. When I first saw the coach in the Fall of 2016, it was inside under cover and I bought it in January 2017. So, I have no idea when the awning might have been last deployed.

When we go on our short (5 day) trip next month, I think I will first try to extend the awning to confirm I have power to the mechanism. Then, I will carefully unfurl the awning being alert for any abnormal sound (like the fabric sticking together or tearing). If the storage space next to mine is vacant (it normally stores a TT) before we go, I can attempt this before we hit the road.

Thanks to everyone for their advice and counsel.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:41 PM   #11

I would test it home first if possible. Don't want it to go out and not want to retract .
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:53 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Go outside and make sure you will not open it into a tree.

Seems obvious, but people assume that if their slide is clear of trees, the awning should be fine. your awning goes out further by several feet.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:06 PM   #13

All good advice. And just to reinforce one important point that has already been mentioned: Never, ever leave your RV with the awning out. I mean a quip to the camp bathroom is surely OK but don't drive away from your RV and leave the awning out. Winds come up quickly and the auto retracting feature is very unreliable.

The exception to this is if you have a sunscreen attached to the awning and securely anchored to the ground. If done properly these systems will hold up against most winds.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning