Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2015, 08:57 AM   #1
epj

Awning help

2002 Holiday Rambler with a Carefree awning. I just had the manual awning upgraded to electric. There are six holes on each side for adjusting the height of the awning and allowing for pitch during rain. I currently have both sides set on the lowest setting, i.e. the top hole on the arms. Getting them down was pretty easy. How do I get them back up? Got no documentation with the awning. I went to the CF website, but haven't been able to locate the info I need. Currently camped at a site with poor internet connection which isn't helping. Did I mention it was pouring rain? HELP!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2015, 09:00 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by epj View Post
2002 Holiday Rambler with a Carefree awning. I just had the manual awning upgraded to electric. There are six holes on each side for adjusting the height of the awning and allowing for pitch during rain. I currently have both sides set on the lowest setting, i.e. the top hole on the arms. Getting them down was pretty easy. How do I get them back up? Got no documentation with the awning. I went to the CF website, but haven't been able to locate the info I need. Currently camped at a site with poor internet connection which isn't helping. Did I mention it was pouring rain? HELP!!!
Can you just run it in in the down position? If not, maybe one person pushing up on the front edge with something long (think window squeegee) while you try raising the pin position?

sbleiweiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:12 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
If I understand correctly, you just push the little spring loaded locking detents in and push either way.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:31 AM   #4
epj

That's all you do to lower the awning. Gravity did all the work. Going the other way is the problem. No way I'm strong enough to just muscle it back up. There has to be a better way
Old 11-01-2015, 10:18 AM   #5

We had 2, electric awnings, in just 3 years, Carefree 1st and Dometic 2nd both flimsily junk. Both quit within the 3 years. We have now replaced the Dometic with a manual Dometic. If and when I buy another coach, I'll order it without an awning and install a manual one.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:28 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I adjusted mine recently. I have a gas strut on each arm that basically took most of the awning weight off the arm while I did the adjustment. I just pushed in the spring loaded detents on sides of the arm and did the adjustment....
Do you have a black gas strut mounted on each arm?
I was nervous the first time that I adjusted my awning but found it to be easy... Just watch your finger placement. If you don't have the gas struts mounted, I wouldn't try adjusting it by yourself. Get someone's help.

Hope this helps, Brian.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 11-01-2015, 12:53 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

What Carefree model is it? My Carefree Eclipse electric has the adjusting holes you mention and it moves easily enough, up or down. Not much tension/pressure directly on that piece. You can bring the awning most of the way in as well.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:40 PM   #8
epj

Well, I'm not sure which model it is. It does have the two black gas struts mentioned in the previous post. I have tried repositioning it with the awning mostly retracted, as that is the only way I can reach it without a ladder. Don't have one with me at the moment. With the awning mostly retracted, I can push in on the detent but at that point you have to lift the awning almost straight up in order to get to another hole. I still have a little grunt left in me, but not near that much. Probably couldn't have done it 20 years ago either. When I was lowering the awning, it didn't seem like there was that much downward pressure. I actually had to pull the arm a little to get it to move.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:50 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
If you can get a neighbor to help you it should not be too difficult to lift the awning. As mentioned a broom or something under the roller should provide enough "lift".
Old 11-01-2015, 01:58 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
That's all you do to lower the awning. Gravity did all the work. Going the other way is the problem. No way I'm strong enough to just muscle it back up. There has to be a better way
. Not sure I understand the problem... Understood you to say it is an electric/power awning. To retract it, just push the power button. You DO NOT have to have the arms in any particular position to retract or extend, thought having them even might help it roll evenly. I keep mine in the lowest position, and extend/retract with no problems.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Well, I'm not sure which model it is. It does have the two black gas struts mentioned in the previous post. I have tried repositioning it with the awning mostly retracted, as that is the only way I can reach it without a ladder. Don't have one with me at the moment. With the awning mostly retracted, I can push in on the detent but at that point you have to lift the awning almost straight up in order to get to another hole. I still have a little grunt left in me, but not near that much. Probably couldn't have done it 20 years ago either. When I was lowering the awning, it didn't seem like there was that much downward pressure. I actually had to pull the arm a little to get it to move.
If yours is like mine, it moves very easily when in the closed position, up or down. It is confusing though as to which piece you slide and if you are trying to slide the wrong part it doesn't move. A small child could slide it up or down when you touch the right part.
sbleiweiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:31 AM   #12

is this what you have

[PDF]Travel'r, Owners Manual - Carefree Dealer Login
Old 11-02-2015, 10:31 AM   #13
epj

Problem solved.

I'm too damn short. Standing in a chair, I was able to raise the awning with ease. I had been trying to do it in the semi retracted position because that was the only way I could reach it. Either going to have to start carrying a small stool or ladder or grow about 2'. Thanks to all for your help.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:50 AM   #14

Great thread on collapsible ladders that are easy to keep with you. I have one with me all the time just in case.

Tags
awning