Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2011, 06:55 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
awning lag bolts

I have had two of the lag bolts that hold the back leg of my awning strip out. I took the panel out that is just below the spot where the lags go into side of the motorhome to see if I could put some bolts and washers in the lag screw place. But I could not see the lag bolts. I tried to look under the bathroom sink but did not see them there either. Has anyone had this happen or does anyone know a easy fix. I have a 1996 32 foot Allegro bay on a Chevy chassis

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2011, 08:22 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Take the bolts you have now, go visit your local Ace Hardware and buy the next larger diameter bolt, same length. Apply sealant to the hole and screw in the new bolts.

Ken

Old 05-22-2011, 08:28 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
push some Gorilla glue in the hole, dip the new bold and drive it home, it will never come out.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:38 PM   #4

Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnine View Post
I have had two of the lag bolts that hold the back leg of my awning strip out. I took the panel out that is just below the spot where the lags go into side of the motorhome to see if I could put some bolts and washers in the lag screw place. But I could not see the lag bolts. I tried to look under the bathroom sink but did not see them there either. Has anyone had this happen or does anyone know a easy fix. I have a 1996 32 foot Allegro bay on a Chevy chassis
This happen on our 5th wheel. Took a doll rod, sanded it down to where it was a very tight fit in the hole, and used some sealer to drive it in. Waited for it to dry overnight, then drilled the holes out for the lag bolts. Never had any problems with it after that.
Grumpytrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:18 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the replies I appreciate the help.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:11 PM   #6

Expansion sleeves for lag bolts can be purchased at hardware stores. Drill out hole to proper size for insertion- tap into hole and replace lag bolt. Dowel rod is a slightly better fix if the wood that the lag bolt is screwed into has rotted. JB Weld will also provide a good repair. Fill hole with JB Weld -coat lag bolt threads with vaseline(to allow removal in the future) and screw in after JB Weld has set for a short time.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:01 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
For holes that are not really big, you can use a golf tee in the hole to replenish the wood. I have used JB Weld for a lot of things too. It really works well.
By the way, lag bolts are really lag screws.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:26 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
We had the same problem on our Winnebago, only ours were large heavy duty screws. Obviously the holes were wallowed out so we went to Lowe's and got some bigger ones. So far it is working........

Folis