Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2011, 09:39 AM   #1

Awning Material

I need to replace the awning material over 3 slideouts on my 2005 Winnebago Voyage. I have heard carefree makes a better product than A&E . Does anyone have any good suggestions, before I order material?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2011, 12:49 PM   #2

We have the A&E slide topper awnings that we replaced with A&E material. After getting them and seeing how simple they're made, the next time I'm going to find a local canvas shop and have them made using the hold ones as patterns.

In my opinion, A&E replacements are overpriced for what you get. I can't help you with the question about Carefree vs. A&E quality.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:46 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
We have the Carefree toppers and in my opinion, they aren't any better than the A&E toppers that a friend has. The problems I have seen with Carefree are with sagging (hardware related) and stitching coming loose (quality control problem). If you are referring to the fabric only, I would suggest having an awning shop replace it. Another friend did that and they look great and cost much less than getting the fabric replacement from Carefree.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #4

Go to Ebay under replacement fabrics. You will find the material at a lower price than anywhere in the system. Many colors to choose from and sizes to fit all needs. I am replacing my 16' fabric through them, about 1/2 price. Can't wait for it to arrive.

Good Luck
Arnold
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:06 PM   #5
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogride View Post
I need to replace the awning material over 3 slideouts on my 2005 Winnebago Voyage. I have heard carefree makes a better product than A&E . Does anyone have any good suggestions, before I order material?
I don't have any direct experience with the company, but Tough Tops has a reputation for having a good product. Their fabric is heavier than the standard material. I plan on ordering from them when we get to our winter stop in Florida.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:29 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Why would you want to replace the whole topper if you just need fabric? Switching to Carefree is a total topper replacement, and you can get fabric only for much less than hardware + fabric. Shop for a better grade than the standard A&E stuff - I've heard some good reports on the Tough Tops product.

That said, my three Carefree Slideout Kover II's are alive and well after 7 years of heavy use. The 16 foot long one sags in the middle when full of water, but that's the lack of any center support rather than a fabric issue.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:20 PM   #7

Most of the fabric that I have seen on toppers and awnings is Sunbrella, an acrylic fabric made by Glen Raven Mills out of North Carolina.

That is the fabric used on our 14 year old American Eagle and it is still in great shape.

Sunbrella "breathes" and is mildew resistent.

Any marine "canvas" shop will have it in stock in a variety of colors.

Dave
Old 10-28-2011, 05:47 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you're handy and can sew (an old sail maker here) you can make your own with this fabric. Did two motorhomes for about $200 worth:

Boat Topping White on White 62"
part number 100997.
Got a spool of polyester thread and re-used the rubber bolt insert.
I used a one-sided foot to get the stitching right next to the bolt (insert thingy that holds it into the roller). Wifey's bernina sews this stuff like butter.

They've been on there now for 3 years and still look like new. Keep 303 on them and washed down a couple of times a year.

EDIT: BTW, the stuff that comes with the motorhome (A&E?) is junk. Plan to replace ever 3-4 years. (That must be what they're figuring.)
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:30 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy AD.
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:29 PM   #10

My A&E slide tops are delaminating. The delamination started on year three. Now my tops are held together by calk and tape. I thought about buying new A&E fabric but if it only lasts 3 to 4 years why change.

I contacted Tough Tops and they sent me a sample of their fabric. Their fabric appears to be thicker than my A&E tops. And the plastic material appears to be bonded to the fabric better than the A&E tops. Only time will tell which will last longer.

I have ordered two new slide topers from Tough Tops. They told me that it would take about a week for them to make my order. If that is so then my order should ship next week.

Safe travels and good luck.

JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:07 AM   #11
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowboat View Post
My A&E slide tops are delaminating. The delamination started on year three. Now my tops are held together by calk and tape. I thought about buying new A&E fabric but if it only lasts 3 to 4 years why change.

I contacted Tough Tops and they sent me a sample of their fabric. Their fabric appears to be thicker than my A&E tops. And the plastic material appears to be bonded to the fabric better than the A&E tops. Only time will tell which will last longer.

I have ordered two new slide topers from Tough Tops. They told me that it would take about a week for them to make my order. If that is so then my order should ship next week.

Safe travels and good luck.

JD
Keep us updated on your slide topper replacement project. Maybe you can post some pics of before and after. I'm anticipating replacing ours, and I would be interested to hear if the instructions are adequate and how hard it is to do the install.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:01 PM   #12

Paz, will do.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:07 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
We got fabric from Tough Tops. Got exactly what we ordered at a fair price and a quality fabric. www.rv-motorhome-answers.com/rv-slide-out-topper.html
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:51 PM   #14

My Tough Top order was placed on 10/24/11. Ray Oberreuter sent an e-mail saying my order would be completed in about a week but if I needed it sooner to let them know. My answer to Ray was a week is OK. My order arrived today, 11/4/11.

As instructed I removed the two toppers from the box and laid them out flat. Installation instructions were packed with my toppers.

I have taken pictures and will continue to do so. When I complete the installation I will post the pictures.

I live near Seattle, WA and I hope to have nice enough weather next week to do the installation.

JD

Tags
awning