Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2013, 11:25 AM   #1

Awning Repair?

The awning on our coach is deteriorating along the top where it is exposed to the sun. Seems like the vinyl backing is peeling in places. We seldom have our awning out. Will awning repair tape be an easy fix or will I need to replace the whole unit.
Any suggestions for an inexpensive fix?

Thanks,
Marv Schade is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Greetings from the Head Counselor at Camp Cheapskate! This is right up my alley

It's a shame to discard awning fabric just because that last wrap gets all crispy, and here's my solution:

Take the fabric off and cut away the ten inches or so that is shot, remove the spline from the discarded part, fold over the awning edge, sticth/glue the spline back in, and reinstall. Do take care to keep it all "square" when cutting/stitching.

You lose a bit of coverage this way, but you'll get many more years of service from the awning.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #3

Or for that much work just go to Ebay and buy a replacement awning fabric. I did that last year for my 16' awning on my old Allegro and it was under $175 for a new awning and about 2 hours to replace. Looked great when we sold the MH.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #4

I used the awning tape and it did a good job
sugarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would buy vinyl tape and just tape over the sun damaged portion of the awning. Usually two rows is good to cover the damaged portion. I did this for several of my customers. Usually it was people that rarely used the awning.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Greetings from the Head Counselor at Camp Cheapskate! This is right up my alley

It's a shame to discard awning fabric just because that last wrap gets all crispy, and here's my solution:

Take the fabric off and cut away the ten inches or so that is shot, remove the spline from the discarded part, fold over the awning edge, sticth/glue the spline back in, and reinstall. Do take care to keep it all "square" when cutting/stitching.

You lose a bit of coverage this way, but you'll get many more years of service from the awning.
Ditto Francesca and it isn't really that much work. I purchased outdoor furniture thread for about $5 and our old sewing machine handled it fine. It took about a day including awning assembly removal, repair, and reinstallation. At the same time, I installed new spline (clear tubing from HD or Lowes) and a new pull strap. Also restitched both side seams since the old thread was deteriorating. I didn't actually lose any coverage since there seemed to be at least an extra wrap on the awning sleeve.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:02 AM   #7

Awning repair

I am having a similar problem as described in this thread - about 6 inches of stitching is coming lose where the awning attaches to the coach. I see that the last post was almost 2 years ago. In retrospect, how well do repairs last? I am planning to remove and repair the slide-out topper on my 99 Monaco Diplomat. I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks in advance,

Ed
Wheel-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:45 AM   #8

I'm looking at these.

RV Awning Fabrics Lowest Price Top Quality From rvawningsmart
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:05 AM   #9

I went to the yardage shop and bought some tan vinyl. Cut it into 8" wide strips and use a ton of contact cement. I made some 2" 'bands' to cover the joints. It looked like a strap. Came out pretty nice and stayed nice. I sold that MH a couple months ago but was still holding on and looking nice after a year or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	awning cover2.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	88132  
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:52 PM   #10

i bought clear Gorilla tape at Walmart and it worked great
Mr Plymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:16 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would give a completely different answer, due to my location.

BigBlockTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:27 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheel-r View Post
I am having a similar problem as described in this thread - about 6 inches of stitching is coming lose where the awning attaches to the coach. I see that the last post was almost 2 years ago. In retrospect, how well do repairs last? I am planning to remove and repair the slide-out topper on my 99 Monaco Diplomat. I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks in advance,

Ed
When my cheap vinyl slide topper needed to be replaced after 4 years I went to a awning shop with the old slide awning and had them make me one out of a canvas fabric called sun brella it was very colorful and will out last the vinyl ones ten to one. It was much cheaper than the old vinyl ones from a RV parts dealer.
Mel
Old 03-10-2015, 12:45 AM   #13

Replace it.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderRV View Post
I bought the 16' replacement from these folks. My son-in-law and I replaced the old one with it in a couple of hours. Just make sure you have all the tools you need, some spray silicone lube and go on UTUBE and watch the videos on how to.
The old awning material was brittle and I am glad now I didn't try to just repair it. I went with the teal stripe and it realy looks good, kinda retro.

http://store.rvawningsmart.com/RV-Pa...ripe-62116.htm

Just Another Old Doggy, Don
OldDoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:50 PM   #14

Thanks OldDoggy for the feedback. I t gives me more confidence to place an order with them.
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, repair