RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2019, 11:48 AM   #1

Awning slipping won't retract

Hey guys, my Carefree of Colorado Eclipse awning is slipping when retracting. I've read you can swap the motor side gear roller with the idler side. See attached photos. You can see I have the covers off both sides. Any tricks or methods of procedure to finish this greatly appreciated. The idler roller pin that would go thru the gear on the motor side after the swap appears to be smooth, so not sure how turning the gear would also rotate the pin and associated awning. Also, removing the clip to get the roller out appears to be easy compared to getting it back on?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190907_103710959_HDR.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	259500Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190907_103459124_HDR.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	259501

bdunningsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2019, 09:15 PM   #2

Happened to me last year, I had a little giant adjustable ladder with me, raised it up to where the roller tube could be tied to it during disassembly/ assembly which made it Much easier than trying to hold the tube . I tied the tube assembly to the outrigger after removing the stripped end then went to the rear and swapped the end caps then reinstalled the drive end cap, wasn't that hard just the I never done this before feeling. It is possible to drill thru the cap and shaft and pin it but I wasn't comfortable trying that in the air and on the road at home I probably would have.
The end cap has a D shape shaft and the Aluminum cap strips out over time .
You can do the swap if your handy at all , a good ladder or better yet 2 ladders and leave the tube supported on them while you do the end cap swap. Good Luck

hardint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:21 PM   #3

Well gang,
I just completed doing some work on our Eclipes awning. I've got a totally different problem with ours, than most do. All my gears are good. I have no slipping. But, what mine does is, I can extend it all the way out just fine. But, when it comes time to retract it, it rolls in about a foot and just stops. Well, I did the youtube thing and researched where ever possible and, what I came up with, was the need for a new motor.

I wasn't dead sure but, all indicators pointed toward a bad motor. So, off to Amazon I go. Three days later, the new motor and gear set is on my door step. Now, there's a slight problem with the new setup. You see, in most of the Eclipse awnings, there's only a single set of drive gears that turns the main tube. But, on mine, there's a DOUBLE SET of drive gears. The motor housing and mount system is the exact same. But, also, I have a formed, aluminum driver that mounts on the D-shaft, just inside the end cap. It provides the contact with the tube, to turn it. The cap is only there for aesthetics.

The cap actually spins on that main shaft where as, the aluminum driver, is formed to fit inside all the fluting of the inside of the tube and, therefore, does the driving/turning.

So, to the OP, as far as I know and have learned, the cap on some Eclipes's has a flat spot formed in its inner bore. And that flat spot, in correlation with the flat spot on the main shaft, is what does the turning of the main awning tube. So, if that flat spot get's worn or hogged out in some fashion, that's when things will slip. Is that what yours is doing?

When the new motor arrived, as stated, it had/has a singular gear set for driving the main tube. But, mine, has a stronger, dual set for driving the tube. So, all I did was, remove the brand new motor from it's gear set and, attach it to my original gear set. So, I have a brand new gear set and end cap that, is a spare.

As for fixing yours, well, does the opposite end cap have a flat spot for mounting on the driver/motor side of the awning? Mine doesn't. It sure is interesting the differences between some Eclipse models and other Eclipse units.
Scott

P.S. On edit: As you can see, there's definitely a gear set difference between the two units. The one on the left is my original one, the new one is on the right. The main shaft, with the flat section machined into it, is considerably longer on my original one due to it supporting the aluminum driver that you see in the second picture to the right. The next two pics show the empty holes in the motor/gear frame, of the new one. The bottom pic shows a set of gears, filling those holes. All those extra gears are is, an identical set of drive gears, that also turn the main gear that turns the tube. Not really sure why they're there, other than Carefree might have experienced some gear failures early on in the design and, threw in a dual set of drive gears as a remedy. Heck, I don't know.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3313.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	260053   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3315.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	262.7 KB
ID:	260055  

Name:	IMG_3316.jpg