Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2012, 06:45 AM   #15

when i retired i thought about moving south, then i realized that it is not so bad in northern NY, the snow does get deep at times and it does get very cold!
HOWEVER all the snow does is slow us down for a short time.

we just push the white stuff aside and go about our duties.

you cannot put anything on a four wheel drive truck that will push a Hurricane, a flood, an earthquake or a tornado to the side and go about your chores! therefor i am stil in the cold north-east!!
.and i can still be a snowbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
I do not see how you guys above the Mason Dixon line do winter. I like to visit snow but just could not live there. I start looking for a coat when it gets below 75 F. Except for my 4 year senior trip after high school, always been in Texas. Course y'all could say the same about our summers. Y'all need 40K furnace with supplemental elec heat and we need at least two air conditioners. But our differences are what make us who we are.

Happy trails everyone.

ronspradley
supermod38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2012, 06:57 AM   #16

I'm just waiting for it to get COLDER here in NY, so I can do some ice riding.

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:10 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Snow in October, Nothing since in NH. Bare ground now, but still cold in the motorhome. I'll warm it up in Feb.when I head south.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:21 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
You commented about having to cover your single pane windows due to heat loss, but hate the loss of light. Years ago I saw my step-dad take another approach. He bought 1/4" clear plexiglas, with a scroll saw cut each piece the same size as the aluminum window frame. He then added 1/4" rubber insulation around the edges. He then drilled 4 holes in the edge and drilled holes in the aluminum frame and screwed the plexiglass over the existing windows. Great window insulation, and a reasonable view and good light. In the spring remove the screws and store the plexiglass for next year.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:32 PM   #19

This past summer and for winter we have the reflectix on all the windows and must say it has worked amazingly well. But have come to hate the dark!!

So after reading Wheelingit 's great blog will be trying something different for the cold.

They used a product that's a plastic film that you cut slightly larger than the window frame, then use a hair dryer to warm the plastic up & shrink it to sit over the window . Thus stopping the cold draft and keeping the view of the outside!!

Think the company is 3M ...
Old 01-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Yeeoooowwww

Down to 17 last night. 2" of snow. Idiots on the road today. Think we hit 24 for a high. Down to maybe single digits tonight.

BABY, IT'S COLD OUTSIDE!
Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #21

It was 82 degrees here when I was at the beach today. Of course I miss our RV.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:29 AM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
So..........

We hit a new record high of 70 degrees yesterday...............

Forcast high of 34 today!
Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:34 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarkid View Post
Yeeoooowwww

Down to 17 last night. 2" of snow. Idiots on the road today. Think we hit 24 for a high. Down to maybe single digits tonight.

BABY, IT'S COLD OUTSIDE!

Just be glad your not in Central Alberta tonight where it;s going to hit -40

Trap
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:48 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps90

Just be glad your not in Central Alberta tonight where it;s going to hit -40

Trap
Yes, I'm in Red Deer and we are in the midst of packing up our house and putting everything in storage.... Then gone south to warmer weather.

For our American friends -40 Celsius is the same as -40 Fahrenheit which = DAMN COLD. lol
KBolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:43 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBolin View Post
Yes, I'm in Red Deer and we are in the midst of packing up our house and putting everything in storage.... Then gone south to warmer weather.

For our American friends -40 Celsius is the same as -40 Fahrenheit which = DAMN COLD. lol

Wish we could join ya, but still have 1-1/2 winters to endure before that happens. Would be great to be in Arizona taking photo's right about now.

Trap
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #26
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
You commented about having to cover your single pane windows due to heat loss, but hate the loss of light. Years ago I saw my step-dad take another approach. He bought 1/4" clear plexiglas, with a scroll saw cut each piece the same size as the aluminum window frame. He then added 1/4" rubber insulation around the edges. He then drilled 4 holes in the edge and drilled holes in the aluminum frame and screwed the plexiglass over the existing windows. Great window insulation, and a reasonable view and good light. In the spring remove the screws and store the plexiglass for next year.
This is what we had on our previous motor home. Worked just great. I've also heard of some using bubble wrap on the inside of the windshield. Insulates while letting in light.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #27
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
We had some snow in December. But we're over 2' below normal for this winter season. We've also had some record warm winter temps in the 40's F. But this morning we're getting our first taste of cold arctic air. It was -6°F this morning. Tonight will be temps in the minus teens. Plus we only have several inches of snow left on our septic system for insulation. So much for the forecasted colder and snowier than normal. The weather-guessers really blew this forecast.

Oh, yeah, we're on the north shore of Lake Superior. The south shore has been getting snow dumps as there isn't any ice covering the lake.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote