Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2012, 10:35 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Baby It's Cold Outside

Brrrr ... it's starting to get cold outside with our first real winter blast. Current Temperatures:

- Outside: 17.1 Degrees.
- Pass. Rear Basement: 36.8 Degrees
- Plumbing Bay: 46.7 Degrees
- Inside: 67.8

While it's not short sleeve weather inside, we're all keeping pretty warm inside. This isn't our first winter staying inside an RV, but it is our first winter inside our National RV Sea Breeze. We've taken a few steps to help winterize that have really made a difference.

To help keep the interior at a moderate temperature we're using a Kenwood Oil-Filled Radiator that's usually set around 68-70 degrees. We keep this in the middle of our RV across from our entrance door, and it really does a good job at keeping the living space at a decent temperature. We also have an electric heater in the plumbing bay with an automatic temperature sensor so that its not running 24/7.

When it started to get cold last month, I went to Home Depot and bought a roll of reflective insulation . The windows on our Sea Breeze are only single pane, and as such, we get a lot of radiated cold coming from the glass. We spent about an hour cutting and measuring the insulation to fit 2 windows in the living space, the window in the door, window in the bedroom and also a piece cut out to cover the stairwell, and it's really amazing how much it helps! Using a point and shoot thermometer, there's an average of a 9 degree difference when the insulation is added to a window.

I also spent some time using some of the scrap pieces lining them up under/along the base of the dashboard to help eliminate the draft from radiated cold. Another thing that really helped in the cockpit area was cutting a piece out and wrapping the metal seat base/columns for both the driver and passenger seats. It's incredible how much cold air is radiated from them.

We haven't yet cut out the insulation to cover the front windshield and driver/passenger side windows ... but if it gets much colder, we just might. I'm sure that with them covered we can raise the temperature a bit more, but its so dark in the motorhome now with the rest of the windows covered that we really don't want to cut off all our light.

So far it's the coldest day of our winter season. The Farmers Almanac says that we should see above normal temps with a wet winter season. I'll take that over what we experienced last year! Last year we had to call the farmer down the road to unbury our driveway.

2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2012, 06:01 AM   #2

Yuck. 31 south of Orlando this morning. Will all you Yankees please close the d**n door. You are letting the cold air out. Were you born in a barn?
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:07 AM   #3

The cold comes from up here... -23 Celsius right now (about -9 F).
(Ottawa, Canada)
Old 01-04-2012, 06:17 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Perhaps you can get some of that bubly plastic packing material, it insulates (less als the alu covered) but it lets the light true.

Gerard.
pa0gri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #5

This why I am headed to the Keys. I want to open the windows and get the sea breeze!
Lault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #6

I'm sorry, could not resist.... ....

Rode the Ural motorcycle/sidecar with the wife to b'fst this morning and it got to about 84 at the house today......Did some rtn maint on the MH and it got too hot so had to go inside and have a beer.......

But....I would and may very soon trade the climate for better people and better tax situation in Carson City, Nv area........Climate is certainly nice but life is too short to put up with this much longer (Calif)......

Steve and Liz
Fallbrook, Ca (50 mi north of San Diego).....
sd1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #7

Baby it's cold outside

About 20 years ago we lived in North Dakota and traveled all winter for work in our 35' motorhome. It had a 40000 BTU furnace and insulated and heated compartments for water and sewer. We made storm windows from plexiglass and attached them to the inside of the windows with velcro, and used insulation for the windshield at night. How cold did it get? We had several night at 30 below and nothing froze up!! Every weekend we would put the coach in the garage of the local car dealer where we bought the motorhome to thaw it out, drain the tanks, and refill with water. We did this for several years. We went through lots of propane which we bought at truck stops and we plugged in at night where people plugged in their car engine heaters..........boy do we love living in Florida now!! DACOTAH
Dacotah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #8

The weather here in Missouri is unheard of. Today it is currently 65 degrees. We should have something in the 30's or lower. Haven't had any snow and there doesn't look like any in the near future. Heck, I'm all ready to dewinterize and go somewhere just for fun. But, I have a rotting fuel hose that needs attention. After I get all the Christmas decorations put away I'm going to try to tackle that job. It isn't going to be easy.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #9

30 degree's here (fulton,ny) center of the snow belt. ha, haven't used my 4 whl drive with plow yet this year. and i ain't complaining! 40's next week!!!!
supermod38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
QuietWater, I am in MO, too.

Yep, 17 degrees Tuesday morning and 65 this (Thursday) afternoon. Drove the '69 Cougar convertible home after work tonight with the top DOWN.

Baby, it WAS cold outside.......but not right now.
Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yuck, sounds like it is time to move where it a tad warmer.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #12

We are packing to head south at the end of the month. Plus 11c today (51f). Probably drop and snow like crazy about the time we are ready to leave.
KBolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
At what did Florida start to sound like music to my ears, I'm only 50 and I'm tired of the cold, ready to move on down! NJ taxes might just the proverbial straw!!!
Old 01-07-2012, 09:01 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
I do not see how you guys above the Mason Dixon line do winter. I like to visit snow but just could not live there. I start looking for a coat when it gets below 75 F. Except for my 4 year senior trip after high school, always been in Texas. Course y'all could say the same about our summers. Y'all need 40K furnace with supplemental elec heat and we need at least two air conditioners. But our differences are what make us who we are.

Happy trails everyone.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote