Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-06-2014, 06:24 AM   #85
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Off hand it rather depends on both how big your MH and house are and how often you expect to need it. If I lived somewhere where long power outages were fairly frequent I might invest in a transfer switch an a genset for the house. As it stands if the power goes off for more than a day I will probably go down an pop out a couple of breakers so I can power up the furnace, a few lights and the freezer and refrigerator. It's been 15 years since I last needed to think about it so no hurry. The camper has everything I need the first day and most days. ;-)
Couldn't agree more.

1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2014, 07:19 AM   #86
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thoughts: I see plans above on a home-built transfer system.

A well designed and proper MANUAL transfer panel runs about 300 dollars. Plus install, Frankly, I doubt you could build the same panel for that amount, The panel I had could easily transfer a dozen 120 volt circuits (I forget the exact amount) a few 240 volt (you could split them so they trnasfered 120 volt) only switched the HOT lead (this is 100% safe) and had monitors to show you how much power you actually burned (1700 watts, times 2 at peak, generator was 5500 so not even working hard).

Considering the neutral carrying capacity... Normally on most houses it will be 100-200 amps, my generator can at most crank out 50 though some folks can hit 100.. just. Still that is within the Neutral wire capability of my box.

The EXTENSION cord however is another issue, but since it is in air the capacity is higher (mine was rated for 50 amps).

If you want AUTOMATIC transfer (I did not) then the unit that goes between meter and box is the item for you. Wish I'd saved a link to it.

Well, cancel that wish, Link saved, Turns out I have this good friend, Mr. Google. he found it in ONE TRY.

Generator Transfer Switch Installation | MJM Electric Cooperative

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote

generator, power