Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2012, 11:03 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Back up camera replacement?

I am going to re[lace my old back up camera (Voyager Observation SystemAOS-33) with a new Rear View Safety camera and monitor. This of course requires a new cable be run from front to back. I'm going from B&W to color. I was wondering if any with a 1999ish Rexhall Aerbus 3250MBS has ever changed their cable before? Any tips on snaking the cable down the rear wall? The rest I think I can handle. Thanks for your help. I'll be doing this down in Clovis, CA if anyone wants to watch or help.

sCary
sCarycary is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2012, 02:15 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If there are enough wires/cables within your existing harness consider cutting off the ends and having new ends installed. I do not mean cut them off and wrap them with electrical tape (a recipe for disaster) but find a local electronics repair facility or such, and have new connectors available to use and have them professional crimped, soldered, or which ever procedure is required.

A competent facility should be able to also tell you if your existing wires are the same gauge wire as the new harness and where to get new plug ends.

Also if your new harness is not long enough to go from rear to front under the body see if you could have an extension made to save the hassles of trying to run the cable inside the unit.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #3

If you can get the old camera off the coach from outside, then snaking the cable down the rear cap should be easy. I had to cut an access hole from inside (luckily through a cabinet so it does not show.)

The old b&w cable will run the newer color cameras, so I would consider cutting the old connectors off the existing cable and soldering directly to the new cable. Alternately, you could cut the connectors off the new cable and solder them directly to the old cable.

I used a plumbers snake to work the cable through the rear cap.
Fred
Old 03-26-2012, 10:06 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed my new camera this weekend. Sorry I didn't take pictures. Basically the cable runs along the top inside walls. I had to remove some beauty panels and fish the cable behind the shower stall. I am not as satisfied as I had hoped. The audio is weak, even with the volume turned up to 40(max). Not as good as on my old Voyager B/W system.

sCary
Old 04-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I talked to Rear View Safety and ended up sending the camera in for repair or replacement. hope they have some tweak or "fix" to make the sound better. I could hear my GF talking, but I could not understand what she was saying. I'll post again after I get it back and reinstalled.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
So Rearview Safety took a look at my camera and said it was working normally. So if you want a new rear view camera and need good audio, don't buy this brand.
[moderator edit]

Tags
camera, replacement