Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-22-2015, 05:11 PM   #15
Tiffin Owners Club
Photos of cable in existing camera

So, here are photos of the current B/W camera cable at the back of the coach. Is this a match to a color setup?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camera cable 2.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	86772   Click image for larger version

Name:	camera cable 1.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	86773  

2005 Tiffin Phaeton 40QDH/2012 CR-V EX-L Toad
Invisibrake/Roadmaster Falcon All-Terrain Tow Bar
TXwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2015, 06:23 PM   #16
The odds of finding a color camera that will match your current connector are very small.

If you decide to buy from RV Cams
RV Cams, Inc -- Wholesale Distributor of Premium Backup Camera Systems I've heard that they have some cable adapters. You could call with your camera model number and see what they have.

I copied the following info from an amazon publication about rear view cameras
Wiring - Wired back-up cameras have a few common installation considerations:
o Power Connections – Most back-up cameras require a wired power and chassis ground connection. This is usually provided by connecting the camera wires to the vehicle’s reverse light wiring and a metal ground point on the body of the vehicle in the trunk/hatch area.
o Video Signal – The video signal wiring is run to the front of the vehicle where the driver’s video monitor is mounted. For many cameras, the video wire is a composite video (yellow RCA) connection. Some cameras use a multi-pin cable that contains both power and video signal, which eliminates the need for additional wiring connections in the trunk.

Adding to the info above, I suspect your 4th pin is to provide power to the camera from the monitor so that you can power on the camera when the vehicle is not in reverse.

If you don't want to run a new cable, you could order the replacement camera, see what connectors it uses for the power/ground and the video signal, and then go to an electronics shop(like Radio Shack) and buy matching connectors to solder onto your 4 pin cable after you cut off the existing connector. Of course, you will have to determine where each wire goes on the monitor (not too hard if you're replacing the monitor also...just use the color coding in the old cable to match the ends). Matching the connectors to the old cable would be much easier if you can get a wiring diagram for your old system.

Having said that, running a new cable is not all that hard. It's just a lot of sliding under the coach securing the cable to the frame to avoid heat and road damage.

Good luck with your project.

Fred & Vicki
Richmond Hill, Ga
2000 H.R.Endeavor/Freightliner/330 Cat
Fred Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:31 PM   #17
I have done business with RV Cams for many years tell them what you have they will tell you what you can do with it and they build custom cables and adapters to upgrade many systems that actually looks like a Sony 6 pin cable which can do both color and B/W.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:02 AM   #18
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you decide to replace your monitor/cams I found this place to be very helpful as well. The tech's name there was Vaughn. They will try hard to find a unit that will take the least mods to your wiring if that's what you decide to do.

Discount Mobile Video and Rear Observation Systems
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:21 AM   #19
Originally Posted by cbilodeau View Post
I want to do the same. The cheapest good solution I have found is the PYLE PLCMTR71 on eBay and on Amazon. 151$. It has 1 camera but you could add 3 more cameras if you add a 73watts 12v to 24V converter (to give more power).

This solution need an additional wire on mine since the Pace Arrow Vision 1999 had only a coax.

Pyle has another model, the PLCMTR74 that comes with 4 cameras but it is not my best choice.

The best would be the PLCMTR71. On it you could add two 15$ side camera. Look for "side camera" on eBay. You also add a HDE E336 camera for 18$. Look for it on eBay. So for less than 200$ you could have a 4 camera system like on 1 million $ motorhome.
In fact the price 119$ on ebay which make 151$ for Canada.
cbilodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:02 AM   #20
When we bought our MH last Aug. We had the dealer put in a wireless color monitor and soon we will be adding side cameras.
2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Special Edition
2001 Ford F150 4x4
Us (Bob and shaz) plus (5 dogs)
usplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:27 PM   #21
Back-up camera replacement?

Originally Posted by 71camaro View Post
I've been considering a new back up camera also. Has anyone tried this company?Backup Camera System | Vehicle Safety Products | RearViewSafety.com
I have their 7 " system with 3 cameras. It is very good quality stuff.

Would use them again!
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:38 AM   #22
Originally Posted by Fl_Richard View Post
I have their 7 " system with 3 cameras. It is very good quality stuff.

Would use them again!
Cheapest price for PLCMTR71 is now walmart.com, 111.12US shipping included.
cbilodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:11 PM   #23
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You have a 41 foot coach which pulls a toad. Do you have signal cameras too?
I like extra eyes for safety and my color rear camera tilts both up and down and pans 180 degrees left and right. With the push of a button I can look at the hitch, front wheels of my toad, pan over the toad to see vehicles behind, pan left and right & up and down when backing up to avoid obstacles and tree branches. I also have signal camera and nose cameras over the headlights which allow me to see fences, trash can and other obstructions on tight turns and allows me to get within inches of what is in front of me.
I had the Total Vision Camera system added to my coach in 08 and have never had a problem with it. I understand both 7 and 9 inch color monitor (split screens) are now available. It is also DIY install if you want.
Total Vision Products:

It was not cheap but I figure it saved me more than it cost in prevention of damages, the anxiety, stress, lost time, insurance hikes, and reminders of an accident from friends and family.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:58 AM   #24
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Ouch, that's a lot of money. I just put in a 9" monitor and a new color camera, but am thinking about changing to this so that I can get a better hitch shot, and a long distance one as well. It's made by Rearview Safety Systems.

Larry & Cheryl Oscar, Louie, Ranger & Henry (our Springers)
2010 Allegro RED 38QBA "Harvey"
2009 Honda Element "Towster"
PushedAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:07 PM   #25
Monaco Owners Club
We just bought a Voyager 7" monitor and wireless camera stystem with the wisight technology. It was delivered Thursday and we left Arkansas Thursday afternoon for West Texas. It was a snap for my husband to install...he even used the mounting bracket from the old system so the integrity of the coach didn't have to be breached and minimal modification to the dash and it has worked great! Clear picture of our trail or behind us, perfect sound for easy communication from anyone behind the coach and NO interference whatsoever with coaches and rigs passing by or my use of mobile phone and iPad sitting right next to it!!!
Retirees in training...
RLC06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:33 PM   #26
Backup Cameras

Have a Voyager monitor and three B/W cameras in motorhome presently. Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the rear camera with a color camera while retaining B/W for the two side cameras? Supposedly, this monitor is set up for color or B/W inputs. I'm assuming there are three separate inputs for the three cameras and I could just swap out the rear B/W for a color and possibly run a new color wire to the present input.

I don't have the model of the Voyager monitor at the present but do remember info saying it was color compatible the last time I researched it. Might need to remove the head to get a better look at the back of it if I can't find a wiring diagram online.
Member Good Sam and Passport America
NRA Life Member and regular volunteer
tap1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:37 PM   #27
I just got a wireless backup system from Rearviewsafety.com. It was a lot less than the Voyager. After having it installed I found that the monitor would show an image from the camera for 10 seconds and then freeze with a still picture for 10 seconds then go blank for 10 seconds and the the picture would come back for 10 seconds and this process would repeat. I called them and they sent me two external antennas for free. One for the camera mounted on the roof of my fifth wheel and the other connected to the monitor. After installing both antennas I still have the same problem. I will be calling them soon to try to get a refund and get the Voyager system. Guess you get what you pay for.

TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote

camera, replace, replacement