Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2015, 04:52 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to TXwannabe
Back-up camera replacement?

Have a B/W back-up camera on my 2005 Phaeton that seems to require life support regularly, as the CRT display has issues with contrast/brightness and is ok for a few minutes when first turned on, but then fades to gray.

Thinking it would be a fairly easy swap to upgrade to color camera and display IF cable for the B/W would be the same as that for color? Do not relish the thought of figuring out how to run a new cable 40+ feet, if needed, since I am a newbie to DPs.

Continually get great advice from the IRV2 community. Thanks for your input!
TXwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2015, 06:04 AM   #2

A friend of mine had to run a new cable when he installed a new color camera. However, your coach could have the correct one. All depends on the manufacture.

Make sure you get a good quality camera/monitor. Here is a link to a Vendor doing business with iRV2. I understand they have excellent customer service and could probably help you a lot.
Back Up Camera Systems

Also it wouldn't hurt to Google the following:
"How To Buy A RV Backup Camera System" or something similar. So many good options to pick from.

There seems to be a lot of warnings about using a wireless system and possible interference with other electrical systems on the coach. But I don't have any first hand experience.

Make sure you keep us posted. Very interested in your experiences.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:51 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I've dealt with these people and they were helpful replacing an existing camera. Others have posted that they had a problem.

RV Cams, Inc -- Wholesale Distributor of Premium Backup Camera Systems
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:40 PM   #4

I've been pleased with quality from this vendor on ebay

http://stores.ebay.com/automobilerea...p2047675.l2563

Fred
Old 02-19-2015, 09:57 AM   #5

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
There are now some good quality wireless systems available which eliminate the need to run a new cable.

Stay away from analog wireless systems, they can easily be affected by outside interference and many folks have voiced concerns about poor video quality with these type of camera systems.

Digital wireless camera systems are becoming more common. Certain digital wireless systems seem to work fine sitting still, but can have issues with signal interference, and transmission range when moving.

They cost a little more, but the Jensen WiSight technology camera systems are well engineered and have very good performance. These systems have a working range of at least 60 ft. and have a very robust wireless communications which will display smooth high quality video during adverse conditions.

There are 5" and 7" systems which include a monitor, camera, monitor wiring harness, and suction cup mount.

The 7" system also has two hardwired inputs for optional side cameras, and can be wired to the turn signals to activate the proper camera when the turn signal is activated.

All in all, it is a great replacement for a failing B/W camera.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:12 PM   #6

I recently saw an ad for a backup camera system that uses a GoPro connected via WiFi to a tablet. It looked pretty slick. If/when my Jensen system craps out, I'll probably investigate such a system. A GoPro with a waterproof housing is under $200 and I have 3 or 4 old tablets lying around that can be re-purposed.
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXwannabe View Post
Have a B/W back-up camera on my 2005 Phaeton that seems to require life support regularly, as the CRT display has issues with contrast/brightness and is ok for a few minutes when first turned on, but then fades to gray.

Thinking it would be a fairly easy swap to upgrade to color camera and display IF cable for the B/W would be the same as that for color? Do not relish the thought of figuring out how to run a new cable 40+ feet, if needed, since I am a newbie to DPs.

Continually get great advice from the IRV2 community. Thanks for your input!
I want to do the same. The cheapest good solution I have found is the PYLE PLCMTR71 on eBay and on Amazon. 151$. It has 1 camera but you could add 3 more cameras if you add a 73watts 12v to 24V converter (to give more power).

This solution need an additional wire on mine since the Pace Arrow Vision 1999 had only a coax.

Pyle has another model, the PLCMTR74 that comes with 4 cameras but it is not my best choice.

The best would be the PLCMTR71. On it you could add two 15$ side camera. Look for "side camera" on eBay. You also add a HDE E336 camera for 18$. Look for it on eBay. So for less than 200$ you could have a 4 camera system like on 1 million $ motorhome.
cbilodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:46 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
TXwannabe,

There is lots to read here: back up monitor went out site:irv2.com
I offer this advice: If you still like your monitor- have it repaired by a tv man. That is what I did. It was relatively painless and I obviously didn't have to replace or modify anything. My rv still retains the factory look and it works just the way it did when new.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:48 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry, Here's the site:

https://www.google.com/search?q=back...arch=irv2.com&
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:34 PM   #10

I've been considering a new back up camera also. Has anyone tried this company?Backup Camera System | Vehicle Safety Products | RearViewSafety.com
71camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:44 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here is the system I have. Color 7 inch monitor and 6 camera capability. Rear camera has 180 degree view, moves up and down, and left and right with the push of a button. All hardwire and designed for vehicles, Big rigs, off road, boats, and RVs.
Total Vision Products: Scroll to bottom for RV Pics.
Cameras are tools and pay for themselves over time by not having avoidable accidents.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVforMyRV View Post
There are now some good quality wireless systems available which eliminate the need to run a new cable.

Stay away from analog wireless systems, they can easily be affected by outside interference and many folks have voiced concerns about poor video quality with these type of camera systems.

Digital wireless camera systems are becoming more common. Certain digital wireless systems seem to work fine sitting still, but can have issues with signal interference, and transmission range when moving.

They cost a little more, but the Jensen WiSight technology camera systems are well engineered and have very good performance. These systems have a working range of at least 60 ft. and have a very robust wireless communications which will display smooth high quality video during adverse conditions.

There are 5" and 7" systems which include a monitor, camera, monitor wiring harness, and suction cup mount.

The 7" system also has two hardwired inputs for optional side cameras, and can be wired to the turn signals to activate the proper camera when the turn signal is activated.

All in all, it is a great replacement for a failing B/W camera.

Good afternoon Don and Anita

Just curious, can this camera monitor be fooled by a passing coach with the
same system. If it transmits 60 feet can others see out of your camera? It looks like a good system.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:36 PM   #13

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Good afternoon Don and Anita

Just curious, can this camera monitor be fooled by a passing coach with the
same system. If it transmits 60 feet can others see out of your camera? It looks like a good system.
No. The camera and monitor have a "pairing" process which is very similar to the "WiFi Protected Setup" process used to connect WiFi devices to routers or access points. The camera and monitor share a code and will only communicate with each other.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:53 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I just purchased and installed a back up camera for my truck thru E-Bay. The price was 115.00, free shipping. And it is color and has a 9'' screen. The brand name is TOVGEAR. Only 3 wires to hook up, 12 volt, ground and back up. Comes with 50 feet of cable and has hook up for extra camera. It works well on the truck. I wired the back up wire with the 12 volt so it is on anytime the Ing. switch is on.
Worked so well I ordered another one for the MH. Haven't installed it yet. I ordered an additional 60 feet of 4 wire camera cable just in case I need it.
I climbed on top just to look and there is TV coax running the length my unit. I may run along side it and drop thru the roof where it does, in a cabinet above drivers seat.
Will follow up latter.
vettehead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, replace, replacement